24th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. RomyCat

RomyCat Industrial Terraformer

Coming up with quest ideas sounds like fun. Will there be an option in the future where those hosting servers can create quests for their players? Should be a easy gui where op can create a quest then make it public for the other players to take if they wish. The op should be able to set the reward, timer, and how many players are allowed to finish it. Some quests anyone can complete. Other quests may be "won" by the first player that completes it. This could add fun competition on a server.

There may not be time to implement such ideas into Beta, but I would LOVE to see this in a future update for Starbound. It would enhance server play quite a bit and allow the op to focus on the themes of their servers.

2. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

"Finally we’re starting work on our first boss, it’s rather elaborate but very cool. Aside from minibosses, there will be a boss at the end of each tier of play. I’d show you a screenshot of that if I could, but that’s a majorrr spoiler :p"

Its the first boss of many. For petes sake Tiy, your HAT is a spoiler dude. :p

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

I have no problem with the font either. It fits so well with the pixel art style. I'm not sure how you would improve it unless you deviated from the pixelization and went with a higher res font. Might look out of place if that was done. However, Hi res planets in the background look very nice in my opinion, so maybe something can be done with the fonts that could work.

Still think they're fine though.

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  4. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, God. Great update as always, but I actually really like the present font you guys are using for Starbound. So I gotta say: please don't change it! :up:

OldNESJunkie, killpay and Mikerlantz like this.
  5. Seir

Seir Phantasmal Quasar

Oh yea, loves me some questin! And i love that font! And if not a pic of the boss.... how bout a pic of his foot? @.@

Toryu-Mau and Menasor like this.
  6. Kraiten

Kraiten Guest

Tiy wants to add a director mode which would accomplish something similar to that. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/director-mode.5522/

7. Delta9Church

Delta9Church Subatomic Cosmonaut

I personally like the font, it's simple and suitable. If we are talking bosses, which we are, I would propose some very secret boss/npc content.

I would suggest making a handfull of unique encounters which require certain elements to be in place, such as you must have item1, item2, and be at x,y, at this time sorta thing. Then make the reqs random at the start of a given 'world'/save file, so every game has its own set of unique secrets leading to some excellent rare goods, beyond rare even.

Then i would make it so a very few random npc's would drop hints regarding said requirements.

For loot, I personally would make it a really great piece of gear, maybe 2, and a piece of asthetic clothing that is only acquired through these encounters.

Just thoughts, I know I get a bit too into them somethimes lol. It's your game and I am super excited for every last pixel you have in store for us.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

Although a lot of people saying that you guys getting closer to beta, as i see it, there is still so much stuff to do and polish, the closest date for beta would probably be in September, that is if you guys work as hard as you doing so far...

Who had problem with your current font? since i dont see anything wrong with it, at best you could increase its resolution, but other then that i, and most of people on forums, like it the way it is.

You said there will be 1 boss per Tier, that is 7 bosses if i am not mistaken? Will you make more Bosses that aren't Tier related? like Events, or somthin? And then make them available at Release... Oh if by any chance you guys ever need some ideas for Quests/Boss mechanics, a bet if you make a tread about it, it will get flooded with replays, i found that Starbound community is very creative and committed, so i bet they will haw fun in doing it.

Toryu-Mau, Menasor and ZackTheGreat like this.
  9. Bastard Man

Bastard Man Big Damn Hero

You're better off just not commenting since the majority of people look forward to these daily posts.

10. Bastard Man

Bastard Man Big Damn Hero

The quest looks like the start of the game... But you have the option to reject it? Lol...

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. dgm

dgm Phantasmal Quasar

Everybody seems to like the font the way it is. I also do. But it's somewhat hard to read at a glance. I mean, it is 'perfectly readable' as it is in the screenshots and such, but I think it will become annoying/frustrating in the long run.

Axe Garian and Lorpius Prime like this.
  12. dizz

dizz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah and you're better off not commenting until you learn how NOT to double-post. Besides, all these teasers are just technically only spoiling it for everyone, aren't they?

..And bosses can be added after the beta is released lol.. they aren't "core gameplay" features, in any way, shape or form. Give the people a level 1 world of a single biome type, and cut it off right there. That way you can quiet the masses with their desire for a beta, and at the same time get feedback on the feel of the gameplay as a whole.

13. Hyrseht

Hyrseht Void-Bound Voyager

Looks like we have a bit of a spoiler for the Apex background story that appears to have been dropped in that quest window screenshot.

I'm keen to find out more. :catface:

Also, that song that Jarod posted (bottom of last page) is really nice, maybe a bit slow to start out for a boss fight but it has a nice tune.

Edit: Also, I hope that we'll see that futuristic swing-set from that tweet in game as well :)

14. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse Space Spelunker

I think the font is perfectly fine as is, and wouldn't want a change. Not hard to read at all and follows the theme very well.

15. jezuitx

jezuitx Pangalactic Porcupine

Quest windows are lookin nice, but yeah definitely they need some bigger font for my middle aged eyes. Also, I think it's great the way you're enabling all mobs to potentially be mini-bosses. That's going to be awesome when the first waves of user created content come out.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Void-Bound Voyager

I for one am very glad that they're taking another look at the font. My problem with it isn't that it's illegible. However, I don't think that it's particularly good in the form of its letters, and that makes it more difficult to read large chunks of text. For example; the lowercase 'h' and 'n' are separated by only one "pixel". Another example: 'i' and 'j' are shorter than they should be; these letters (without the dots/tail) should be the same size as others; compare the ones in this post to the snapshot. Yet another example: uppercase and lowercase letters don't show enough height differentiation (2 "pixels") for a low resolution font. This makes it more difficult to follow the natural flow of the words. My solution would be to increase the height slightly (maybe one or two "pixels") to increase that differentiation and allow for some of those sloppy letters to be more clear. This would retain the blocky style but increase the clarity.

Also, the line spacing needs to be increased; take a look at this 'j' (or 'g') and where it is in relation to the text (hopefully) below it. There's a much larger gap than what's currently there. Compare that to the one in the quest text - almost no spacing there. Again, this is a little thing that would improve readability significantly without compromising the pixel style.

17. SecretSmoke

SecretSmoke Void-Bound Voyager

That awkward feeling when you click "Accept"...
    Not today, friend... Not today....
    :')

Inco and Voidsong like this.
  18. RomyCat

RomyCat Industrial Terraformer

Thanks very much for that link. I'm thrilled to know Tiy is thinking that way. A director mode will enhance server in many ways as long as directors don't abuse their powers. That's when players leave and go find better ran servers.

Toryu-Mau and tassina like this.
  19. magnus_vir

magnus_vir Aquatic Astronaut

I hope there won't be any drop quests like "kill boars and bring me 8 livers" and for some reason none of the boars have any livers, but still were alive before I killed it to find that it didn't have any liver.

SerinityFyre likes this.
  20. Wrccc

Wrccc Aquatic Astronaut

You know, Beta looks like it's coming along in a fantastic manor. Also I like the idea of revamping the text font, seeing how sure, it's hard to read at times, but it's not too much of a bother I would honestly be fine with the current text, but I definitely will not complain about it being revamped is what I'm trying to say. Anyways, it looks fantastic, Keep up the good work Bartwe. Oh! and also a release date for the beta would be nice. Ciao~

Mikerlantz likes this.