Creatures interact with each other

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by djifro, Jun 28, 2013.

1. djifro

djifro Void-Bound Voyager

Some creatures in starbound should be able to attack other creatures or hunt for each other and move in packs. much like predator and prey behavior. In terraria it sort of felt like everything was out to get you and the focus was on you and the creatures didn't really interact with each other besides the occasional slim killing a random bunny or gold fish. It would make exploring new animals a lot more interesting. There could be a food chain system like snake eats rabbit, something eats snake and so on. or make it even more simple by having some creatures just flee from something bigger than them or more dangerous, or have animals just fight each other over territory.

LunarStar, n1t3n, Yzzey and 96 others like this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. iand785

iand785 Tentacle Wrangler

Cool idea. But I think that already exists in the game.

4. A1CZERO

A1CZERO Subatomic Cosmonaut

I fully agree with this. Pretty immersion breaking when you're the center of every moving thing's attention and nothing else exists. Especially when things try to run at and attack you through doors/walls when they shouldn't even know you're there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    pigunit, Eirikra, vanella and 10 others like this.
  5. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

That's one of the in Skyrim I always was annoyed about.
    All the animals ganging up on you. It's like the whole world is hell bent on getting you killed.
    It would be pretty cool to watch a predator chase a bunny looking creature through the forest. :3

6. PurpleHamsta43

PurpleHamsta43 Star Wrangler

Like kill eachother?

7. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Sort of.... more realistic, if it's two predators then they might attack each other.
    If it's a predator and prey, the prey might run or use a defense ability I guess.
    It would work in oceans too, like fishies and sharks. (or the alien version more likely).

vanella and Systemsoad like this.
  8. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

A friend of mine watched 3 polar bears and 2 walruses duking it out to the death in a glorious battle in Skyrim today. I have no idea how that happened.

9. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

That my friend is the circle of life. :up:

10. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

11. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Animal ecosystems is one of the things that made red dead alive to me.

12. laughinstok

laughinstok Zero Gravity Genie

It would be awesome to make an arena and fill it with animals, and then watch them fight to the death.

n1t3n likes this.
  13. Spertin

Spertin Big Damn Hero

"Hello little beasts, how are you ?
    -Gru ?
    -Gruw !
    -AARGH don't eat me ! STOP eating me !"

14. vanbear

vanbear Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Also, for creatures 'living' in herds that aren't hostile, when you attack one of them, the rest could attack you to defend their pal.

15. SanguineLaw

SanguineLaw Orbital Explorer

Yeah, I agree that Terraria felt a bit lacking in that area, especially if you happened to come across both corrupt and hallowed enemies at the same time. The forces of good and evil team up to destroy you, being the all powerful player that you are, now as flattering as that is to the ego it isn't really that great to see. Since the animals are randomly generated, does that mean that each animal would be "born" with a certain characteristic? I mean there'd have to be assigned predators and prey for each world for it to be believable.

TheDumbBagel, Systemsoad and Arthanen like this.
  16. Chucklehead

Chucklehead Subatomic Cosmonaut

I could see very spontaneous funny moments in the game because of this. For example, you're in an intense battle with a beast and then a giant space hawk would swoop in and snatch it away, never to be seen again!

17. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Cosmic Narwhal

I thought this already was/is going to be a feature? If not, then it needs to be. I mean, really, even if I'm traversing a world with eye-filled trees, cesspits of sulfuric acid and other unnatural abnormalities, I still appreciate some realism between species. :notworthy:

I've always seen unicorns as nature's paladins. Chances are, you stepped on an ant or dropped a bubblegum wrapper somewhere, and therefore the holy, one-horned warrior of goodness sought you out to rip you a new one. ;)

Kunabee likes this.
  18. Elder Oddo

Elder Oddo Industrial Terraformer

:idea: It's a cool idea... wonder if they've thought about that one much. Done right, it could really add to the feel of the game. :iswydt:

TheDumbBagel and Chucklehead like this.
  19. goodgame

goodgame Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmmm.... Creatures that flirt and mate a la Spore? Build nests, lay eggs, hatches more little nasties---kind of like a spreading Corruption?

TheDumbBagel and Titanium like this.
  20. goodgame

goodgame Subatomic Cosmonaut

Shopkeepers that chat with each other, trade amongst themselves, and craft and sell new items based on what is present in the local economy (i.e. in the inventory of neighboring shopkeepers)? That'd be pretty neat. Build your own 'factories' by luring certain types of shopkeepers together in one village/mansion and keep them supplied with certain goods to guarantee a supply of a specific item for your character to buy? That'd be Terrarria++ .