Abandoned Space Stations

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by AirplaneRandy, Jun 10, 2013.

1. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm just gonna add this here following the new post about space stations. Basically have a space station that is filled with either zombies, or evil races. You know, like the flood infections from halo. I'm kinda leaning towards something similar to the movie Sunshine. A space station that has been abandoned for years, with its equipment covered in dust, and its Eco room growing out of control. And it's your job to either find the self destruct button to contain the infection, or cleanse the station and reclaim it as your own (THIS WOULD BE AN AWESOME WAY TO GET A SPACE STATION).

Blah, I'm just throwing this idea forward so other people will want it.

toby109tt, Poloopo, Shonito and 230 others like this.
  2. frostybubbles

frostybubbles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

its like metroid....WE SHOULD HAVE A METROID HAND CANNON THING :D

3. Celestial Wombat

Celestial Wombat Void-Bound Voyager

They should have a space station biome. When you load a new system instead of habitable planets you get a massive abandoned space station.
    For creatures they could have something such as cleaner bots and old defense systems. Such as assault droids and such.
    Just a suggestion.

4. enigmatic fluff

enigmatic fluff Big Damn Hero

What I'd like to see are derelict ships crashed into planets, with lost starmaps and technology to be reverse engineered.
    Something about that mystery and creepiness of it all... or I've been watching too much Aliens, luuul.

5. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

loveKatlola, DrTj and pankakeman like this.
  6. CoherentManatee

CoherentManatee Space Penguin Leader

Awesome, sounds great. And maybe some...not so abandoned space stations

DEAD SPACE

7. Torbjörn Svensson

Torbjörn Svensson Orbital Explorer

Abandoned spacestations sounds awesome!

loveKatlola likes this.
  8. Belzac

Belzac Subatomic Cosmonaut

I guess this is a must have content in this game. I think everyone will agree, with this :D

loveKatlola and Ahbahl like this.
  9. Speno1

Speno1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Flood is released... Life is overcome. Boom start again!

loveKatlola likes this.
  10. backeby

backeby Big Damn Hero

Would be seriously cool if the stations "drifted" in space, making their coordinates shift between servers. (Meaning, you can't acquire a set of coordinates and go there on your new server since the station has drifted into the unknown) Finding one would be sort of a random event showing up in the game interface and at your map computer, "Station found within 200 000 km", then you can go there and perhaps plant a beacon so you can find it again, or slow down the station so it stops at a set of coordinates.

Of course there can be stationary stations also, that have the same coordinates on all servers.

ripon327, Aeryc and BeatSynthetics like this.
  11. LastHazzerd

LastHazzerd Title Not Found

I'm glad many people had the same idea, this would be an amazing game feature, and not just for the players who love immersion.

n1t3n likes this.
  12. Facethelight

Facethelight Existential Complex

Flood! yes! go ask bungie/343 NAO for permission >:eek:ooo

FrostyBlaster and dante2070 like this.
  13. Sneech

Sneech Void-Bound Voyager

I'm loving all the ideas that this topic encompasses! Having drifting stations sounds awesome, since people won't be able to go to them freely, finding them while traveling to other planets would make it much more exciting to explore. Also I feel as though there should be a random chance of life existing on these abandoned space stations. It would be cooler if the chances of life actually being on them were small like around 20% per station found, because then, most people would not be expecting to find life forms still on these ships, but on the few times it does, it should scare the hell out of everyone. Looking at the game at a whole, there isn't many opportunities to scare people with this game since planetary exploration would usually include finding life forms. I feel like implementing this space station idea may be one of the only chances to add a small horror element to the game. Maybe most of them do not have any power leaving explorers to search them only with a flash light, or having creepy ambient music accompany the search for the aux power room to bring back power to the station, but when you do that, it unlocks the cargo bay, which had contained an "outbreak" of the mysterious. Of course you had no way of knowing this until you try to make your way back to your station to realize to your horror you path is blocked by very powerful and scary creatures!

ripon327, Cruxifer, SquareMan and 4 others like this.
  14. 1mwb

1mwb Big Damn Hero

Make a suggestion on it! :D

15. Babwabwah

Babwabwah Star Wrangler

Oh cool An abandoned space station

16. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

6d2d7f57e05f2b1e6b47b2e9415924e1.png

This is very true.

Cruxifer, Redheat, Spellpawn9 and 4 others like this.
  17. Cathriana

Cathriana Phantasmal Quasar

This idea makes me think about, what if there are others out there also? Like you can encounter a space station that is almost dead, but filled with bandits and creatures you need to fight off to get your loot! Like a hardcore dungeon compared to the ones on planets, and you can't get the best loot without the better gear of the game, this however would maybe not equal the best items of the game, but just pretty freakin good at the end of the space station.

Ideas =D?

wavefunction.e likes this.
  18. bluealpha

bluealpha Void-Bound Voyager

What if there was a sort of a side quest where a npc would tell you the location of a space station orbiting a sun that will soon be pulled into the sun by its gravity, and there is a time limit until it happens. And then you would navigate the ruined station and at the end is a valuable treasure of some sort. Maybe a chest with 5000+ pixels, a random high tier weapon and some random high tier armor. Or maybe some fancy tech like gene splicers? A good 25% of the time though, monsters of some sort have overrun the station.
    Any thoughts?

19. Sneech

Sneech Void-Bound Voyager

That idea sounds interesting and I would love to see it in the game! Although, I feel as though having it be a side-quest denoted by an NPC would make getting the valuable treasure fairly easy. I feel like it would be more rewarding if you were able to visit the abandoned stations randomly while traveling to other planets maybe via an alert message that comes up on your ships console. At that point there could be a time limit until it drifts out of your radar range or burns up in a sun like you suggested. This way its not like everyone could just talk to an NPC and do the quest whenever and have the valuable stuff. Since they are random encounters, doing them, and getting the treasure would then be more exciting since you cant do it whenever you want.