Underwater Villages/Dungeons

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by xKatzZ, May 26, 2013.

1. xKatzZ

xKatzZ 2.7182818284590...

Hey everyone! I just saw a picture (below) of an ocean, and then i got a great idea.
    I don't know if this has been suggested, but imma post it anyway. :p

Underwater Villages and Dungeons!
    I think that underwater villages and dungeons would do a great addition, and make oceans much more interesting compared to terraria, where the only good reason to go to the ocean would be to get shark fins or corals.
    I think that this would give much more purpose to having oceans at all.
    I also think that water planets would be awesome! :D

These villages could for example be hylotl villages with huge coral biomes and reef? :D
    The hylotl could build villages on giant lilypads? :D
    Dungeons could be something like abandoned submarines, where you could find lost diving gear or weapons.
    In these dungeons, there could be some special ocean themed loot and diving gear that would make u able to go even further down in the oceans and get better stuff. :D

What do you guys think about this? If you got any ideas, please leave a comment. :)

worldgen31.png

LunarStar, vhektor, Mistsx and 66 others like this.
  2. I think it's a good idea. There is no info at all about Underwater Villages or Dungeons, it would be awesome even in late-game with Tech we can Equip to can explore underwater with no worries....
    Or even there is like "Atlantis" kind of villages submersed. It would be interesting! :alien:

Also the deep oceans, go deep down, into a Dark Ocean, with Monsters and stuff, mwhahaha

3. xKatzZ

With those "lantern fish" >: D
    (I feel like a moron not knowing what they're called. ;-; )
    Edit: Yes, anglerfish :D

Awesome idea! :D

xLyraHeartstringsx and Bacon like this.
  4. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

Well if we can assume that the Starbound wallpaper is relevant to the game, or at least a decent idea of what they want to do, we can assume from the deep sea wallpaper that they're already working on something like this. A deep sea suit is very likely, since they seem to have over environmental suits such as a hazmat suit for radiation. Since they put a ton of work into the oceans, I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least dungeons. Villages are a different thing all together though, and could prove to be difficult.

xLyraHeartstringsx likes this.
  5. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Only if there's a building that reads "all good things // of this earth // flow into the city."

Torii and Model QT-377665 like this.
  6. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

My name is Commander Izumi and this is my favorite suggestion on the forum!...

Well, probably not. but it's good regardless. Underwater stuff is good. No empty mass of water like terraria had...

7. KuroHinotori

Isnt the Geass on the wrong eye though? Anyway, I think underwater villages would be a post-release thing if they aren't already in the game but there's got to be something secret at the bottom of the ocean for them having spent so much time on it.

8. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

I'm all for it. If there aren't any, well, I'll build one myself!

No, it's his left eye.

9. KuroHinotori

Ah, it's been a while since I've seen the anime so I guess I'm just remembering wrong.

10. Zimpotchi

Zimpotchi Space Spelunker

+

+1 is all i got to say.

11. JNC

JNC Tentacle Wrangler

I think this is a VERY good idea, especially if the biomes turn out to be rather large. I think I read that the Hylotl may be able to breath underwater, and since they are an aquatic race why wouldnt they develope some buildings down there?

+1 !

12. V M Smith

V M Smith Phantasmal Quasar

Angler Fish?
    [​IMG]

xLyraHeartstringsx, A7x and xKatzZ like this.
  13. Gurdil

Gurdil Orbital Explorer

Very good idea :D
    One thing that bother me lot in many exploration games ( like terraria or Minecraft ) is that you have no reason to go in the ocean and you just keep ignoring them

14. hunchpunch

hunchpunch Aquatic Astronaut

Love the idea. Water planets, maybe even some frozen ones. Just need ways to move about in the environment where it is not too slow/annoying.

15. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Well for ice planets you could just have ice act like actual ice, rather than the slippery bullshit that video-game ice is. If the devs really felt the need to go and screw with us (And with physics) they could just say if you turn around too fast, you fall over. That'd be easy to do, and slightly more realistic than videogame ice normally is. Though still unrealistic for planets where the normal temperature is well below zero.
    for water planets, you could have a lil waterjet thing, that you hold on to and ride around with, that'd be neat. And of course have some sort of SCUBA system.

16. mamba

mamba Phantasmal Quasar

yes i agree, very interresting suggestion. I'll appreciative enter a planet entierely covered by water and searching into the deep dark ocean...

WingChun likes this.
  17. xKatzZ

Jet skis?

18. Lemonader

Lemonader Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ooh. Dungeons that are stuck under a thick layer of ice. :giggle:
    Would be cool!

A7x likes this.
  19. Yukizora

Yukizora Master Chief

It would be a great addition. Water will finally be useful and important (unlike Terraria) and for people looking for a beautiful water biome. As a Hylotl, I'd love to set a homeworld near these kind of place :D

WingChun likes this.
  20. Nyteman

Nyteman Orbital Explorer

One thing that I always thought that a game like Terraria lacked was a sense of reality underwater. In Knights of the Old Republic there is a small section of the game where the player has to venture to the bottom of the ocean located on the water planet Manaan and that segment made for a more realistic water "feel" than any other I have played to date, they forced the player to wear an environmental suit which limited their actions and movement to some very basic components (movement and laying down any mines they had been able to collect up to that point) which provided a humbling change in pace to the impatient. So to sum up my general idea;

TL;DR
    don't make ocean exploration about brute force, the ocean is a deadly, dark, and claustrophobic environment and no amount of swinging a sword or shooting a laser (which the player should not be capable of underwater imho) will change that. It should be more about strategy, choosing the right time to move as to avoid large predators, and getting your underwater gear suited to a specific oceans' needs should be more essential to underwater survival :up: than holding lmb and running to the bottom of the ocean just to loot the chest and rocket boot/flipper out of there :down: