20th July Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Fabhar

Fabhar Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome avatar, OmnipotentEntity. Gunnerkrigg Court is an great webcomic.

1John5vs7 likes this.
  2. Khombhat

Khombhat Master Chief

How do I keep missing this stuff? :oops:
    I swear, I really have read all about this game, but I guess I missed that one. Anyway, I'm very glad to hear that. Thank you!

1John5vs7 likes this.
  3. Haha, no problems ! I'm glad that you like it :V
    You can check the unofficial wiki if you want, maybe you'll find some more info over there.
    Starbounder Wiki

tassina and Axe Garian like this.
  4. Evithlia

Evithlia Weight of the Sky

Thanks Omni! :rofl:

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Sounds like you didn't have a 387 coprocessor. How time flies, floating point used to be an optional feature, soon even gpus will be builtin.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I disagree strongly. This isn't supposed to be a sequel to Burrito Bison:
    [​IMG]

There are admittedly some comedic aspects to this game, but overall it is not lighthearted. The game lore is about terrible destruction devastating home worlds, raging holy wars driving people off-world, and tragic cultural and social rifts among malfunctioning androids. Oh, and plant people that eat you. It ought not to be a mélange of internet memes, a bunch of hokey Looney Tunes physical humor references, or a game beset by quirky mechanics.

This game is way too big to be allowed to fall victim to the kind of nonsense being suggested here. I am expressing my opinion strongly here, but this is something about which I feel strongly. I think putting in cartoony stuff like turning into a fireball upon a long fall is going to attract a bad demographic. Please, Chucklefish, I am imploring you to keep a classier approach than this. I mean no offense to Mr. OmnipotentEntity. Indeed, it's not as if every single idea a person has can be sterling. I assume you allow feedback from the community not only to be praised, but also to have constructive criticism that will help you shape a better end-product. As such, I am making my comments not to be flippant or bossy, but rather out of great respect for you as individuals, your company as a collective, and the game on which you have worked so hard. Please, don't add silly mechanics like this; they don't add anything to the game play and they may actively subtract from it.

In closing, I will, as always, play your game regardless of whether or not my ideas are accepted. It's your baby, not mine. :up:

Blessings on you all at Chucklefish. I'm praying for you ladies and gents to have clarity, focus, and direction as you ramp up production for the upcoming convention in London at the end of August. You'll be great, I have great faith in you all. Keep up the good work, and be smashing today!

Axe Garian and runiq like this.
  7. Lynx88

Lynx88 Phantasmal Quasar

And now I too can fulfill my dreams of a flaming re-entry into a planetary atmosphere.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. MasterCael

MasterCael Orbital Explorer

Thumbs up for broken limbs from fall damage! :DD

9. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Is the gravity RANDOM, or is it tied to the size of the planet? Because it would be weird to have a huge planet with low gravity...wouldn't make any sense since gravity is a direct product of mass which is a direct product of size (at least with respect to planets assuming these are all made of dirt and rock which is very dense). Are there gas planets or something? I could see those having less gravity, but typically for a planet to be a gas planet it has to be honking massive, which produces massive gravity again.

I'm going to assume "Random Gravity" means "gravity is tied to planet size, which is randomly generated."

Axe Garian and Ἄνουβις like this.
  10. Kurozaiaku

Kurozaiaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

You guys always have the love and respect of people on here, you don't even have to ask just don't overstress yourselves : )

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

Since the last daily update showed us that, not even the light is random on planets, but instead, based of the distance the planet is from a star, I assume devs wouldn't throw up a "random" gravity X3
    But that's my guess... you know, everything is spoiler \_(ツ)_/

Axe Garian and Ἄνουβις like this.
  12. I think the gravity is mentioned in the roadmap, you can check it out to see if I'm correct or wrong.
    Other than that it's probably dependant on the planets size like you've mentioned and the type of the astral body (like a planet, moon, asteroid etc).

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. ChaliElle

ChaliElle Void-Bound Voyager

You should remember, that Starbound is not restricted by human-known meterials, that can be much more dense than osmium or any other matter known to humanity. You cannot forget about planet rotation, proximity to stars, other planets, satellites. Frozen cores of rogue planets are much more dense too. It's not only size of planet, that matter, if you think about gravity.

Axe Garian and Trixmay988 like this.
  14. Trixmay988

Trixmay988 Space Penguin Leader

I always hated it on Terraria where I'd land on a slime after jumping off of a cliff or something and I won't take damage from landing on the slime but by bouncing off of the slime and hitting the ground gently I die. Slimes should be able to soften your fall as you bounce off of them.

Menasor and Axe Garian like this.
  15. DSMatticus

DSMatticus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You are painting an incredibly unfair false dilemma. Those aren't the only two options. If they add flaming atmospheric reentry (now calling it FAR because that's a mouthful/fingerful) to the game, they don't also have to make the death message for falling from an asteroid "I don't always fall to my death, but when I do it's from space" or some other silly meme. If you think FAR is an offensive enough breach of physics to otherwise hurt the tone of the game, then make that argument - don't bring up burritos, bisons and looney toons. Those are quite obviously irrelevant, because they can add FAR without adding any of those.

I personally don't think it's an issue and this is one of the many cases where rule of cool trumps scientific accuracy. Not a lot of people will even catch that 'mistake,' and those who do aren't particularly likely to even care (part of picking up a background in physics is learning not to get bothered by bad physics in sci-fi, because physics is a cruel mistress that hates your fun). Meanwhile, it looks awesome and gives you something pretty to stare at as you descend, and it also provides some limited visual feedback (how fast you're falling, where you're at in the atmosphere) depending on implementation. That said, it's a minor feature and both ways are perfectly fine. I just disagree with the form of your argument and had to call you on the hyperbole.

16. Lonefish

Lonefish Void-Bound Voyager

urghh bugs...

17. GrimChaos

GrimChaos Tentacle Wrangler

Thanks Bartwe! You're awesome! And thanks for the update OmnipotentEntity. :)

18. silvershadow

silvershadow Master Chief

Let's say you re-enter the atmosphere, you are falling at great speed, fire all around you until you reach the bottom, it is going to land with an explosion? or you will just recieve fall damage?

An explosion in the end would be awesome...but if you land on your house...well...

Great work guys, keep it up ;)

19. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Gravity directly relates to mass. Mass and size though, are not parallels.

Planetary composition would have to be identical, in order for mass and size to even relate. Doubling a planet size is not the same as doubling its weight, it may be closer to 200% size increase being perhaps 150% mass increase. The composition of the planet would vary wildly as it's mass increased, you would have situations where a mountainous planet would then have only hills and valleys. Liquid water worlds would become hot ice planets. So on, so forth...

Since size correlates to pressure, and pressure with state of matter, and matter with mass... It's much more complex than simple linear equation. As there are too many "in betweens".

Ahbahl and Axe Garian like this.
  20. Kroghammer

Kroghammer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"I haven’t forgotten about the grappling hook. I just suspended work on it to work on other things for the time being. I’ll come back to it."

Hopefully this means more work into climbing mechanics to have the grappling hook work like it did in the SNES Umihara Kawase video Omni posted before. Mob and player climbing mechanics would be a welcome change; as mobs could actually chase you down.

I'd like to hear your perspective on an update sometime; it is interesting to hear how different team members view the progress of the game.

Leak and Axe Garian like this.