20th July Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

He is never silent.. He is the most vocal apart from Tiy.

2. Eriktion

Eriktion Orbital Explorer

oh shi*
    falling damage is my worst enemy
    o_O

tassina and Axe Garian like this.
  3. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Depends on where you look. I'm very vocal on my twitch, and to a lesser extend irc. Don't do much on the forums and don't think i've ever done a daily update.

4. Kuran

Kuran Astral Cartographer

NO for falling damage :p But some effect like that flame or visible air move would be great.

5. Leak

Leak Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, water doesn't compress (at all), so unless you happen to be perfectly triangular-shaped, extremely long and skinny and land pointy end first it won't be able to move out of your way fast enough to not act as a 99% perfect concrete floor simulation...

Axe Garian and Lost in Nowhere like this.
  6. Milosija

Milosija Aquatic Astronaut

Is Starbound going to be released before or after September?

7. sjampansee

sjampansee Space Spelunker

Aaaah floating point error.. i remember seeing this on my 486 DX computer not being able to run QUAKE 1 under DOS hahaha :)

8. steelwing

steelwing Big Damn Hero

9. Morpheel

Morpheel Void-Bound Voyager

I gave up on waiting for it to update at night. Now I just use it as my morning coffee when I wake up.

Menasor, tassina and Ahbahl like this.
  10. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Loved it!

Queritass likes this.
  11. runiq

runiq Void-Bound Voyager

Yes.

samufel, 2.4, tassina and 6 others like this.
  12. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Humanoid critters don't create flames on atmospheric re-entry. Unless they're in orbit. It's unlikely anything would be able to launch a humanoid into orbit if said humanoid wasn't in some kind of vehicle or other device. You'd have to be going at a really fast clip to get into orbit around a planet. It's the sudden friction from hitting the atmosphere at this incredibly high rate of speed that causes that flame on re-entry. A human falling straight down is NOT in orbit because s/he has no linear momentum (or very little), and as such, no flame occurs. Here's a great website discussing it:

http://scienceblogs.com/builtonfacts/2012/10/16/why-didnt-baumgartner-burn-up-on-re-entry/

I linked this yesterday, but it bears re-posting because everyone seems to be on this kick about how a human being falling from space through the atmosphere of earth would be burned up. Not true. If you didn't have a space suit you'd suffocate or freeze to death, sure, but you wouldn't burn up. No heat-shielding is necessary for a human that is NOT in orbit and is simply falling.

Now, it would be interesting to implement some kind of orbital mechanics into the game. This would require players to have special modules (solar panels, thrusters, stabilizers, etc) to place a man-made space station in orbit. You could just make it so above height 'y' (where y = a height considered "outer space" in your opinion within the game-world) this mechanic begins to apply. At that height, several things would happen:

1.) jump height would be much higher due to less gravitational pull
    2.) exposed players would suffer asphyxiation and/or freeze damage
    3.) blocks that are placed move in the direction of the planet's rotation (this direction could be procedurally randomized to be clockwise or counterclockwise (i.e. right or left) UNLESS they are either:
    a.) tethered to something (i.e. other blocks are attached to them) or
    b.) they are space-station or satellite blocks that have specialized devices to keep them orbiting

That would no doubt require a good bit of work, but it would be extremely nifty. Perhaps this is something that could be implemented post-beta? These mechanics would allow for both geosynchronous and static orbits, both of which could be set to decay over time by specifying a decrease in the y value every 10 complete orbits or something like that. I don't know how massive an 'i' value can be in an

y = "height";
    for(i = 0; i < 10; i +=) {
    y-=;
    };

statement. Ah...that is extremely crude, but I'm trying to demonstrate my idea. You'd have to set the variable i so it is equal to some indicator of how many times an orbiting body has gone through a rotation. So you'd need 2 variables to do it if you wanted geosynch and static orbits:

1. first variable would measure the number of day/night cycles...10 day/night cycles would mean 10 rotations in geosynchronous orbit.

2. however, if the object is moving, you'd need to check how many times the object has looped past a certain x value on your Cartesian coordinate grid system. This would be more annoying because the object could technically be put in motion either clockwise or counterclockwise, which means 10 orbits could be faster than 10 day/night cycles OR slower, so you couldn't just do an if/elseif kind of statement.

And at any rate, it may be that this kind of code would be too cumbersome due to large numbers being checked by the computer. I have no clue what the upward limit is of what a code can be set to do. For example, can a variable be asked to keep looping until it gets to 1-million loops? Would that length of code crash a game? I don't know these things. I assume a computer can count from 1 to 1million pretty quickly, but in conjunction with all the other code you've got going on, something checking for orbital mechanics could really bog stuff down.

Well, I'm throwing this idea out there both here in the forum and as a modified post in the suggestions thread. Let me know what you think everyone!

13. Star Mc. Bound

Star Mc. Bound Pangalactic Porcupine

Good job Bart. :D

14. ragingrhino

ragingrhino Industrial Terraformer

Allthough i comprehend some of the stuff you are talking about i want to remind everyone this is a game. And games don't have to follow physics to the letter. I mean...how are we able to build physically impossible structures, with dirt and wood? And i mean; igniting yourself by jumping of an asteroid, what can be any more cooler then that? Except penguins of course.

Menasor, Axe Garian, Thanel and 2 others like this.
  15. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

they probably wont spawn up there unless you are up there like in terraria wyverns never just came down and attacked you, you had to go up and get them to spawn

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. dickmalarkey

dickmalarkey Aquatic Astronaut

I agree. Re-entry effect should only take place when falling great distances from the asteroid biome.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

now i didnt read all the comments but im suprised to see that no one said anything about Omni's new profile pic in the ones i read i think i liked the last one better but changing things up every once in a while is good:)

18. dickmalarkey

dickmalarkey Aquatic Astronaut

[chanting] Daily update! Daily update! Daily update!

tassina likes this.
  19. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

That thing where you become a flame better have a real long-ass time.

20. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

the atmospheric re-entry flame should be if you fall from x height for x seconds at x speed. because it wouldn't make sense if i fell for x seconds from mount Everest and started burning like i was re-entering the atmosphere. i never left it after all. this whoever would require you to set a ground level height standard for each planet or planet type.

Axe Garian likes this.