19th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Bumblescumps

Bumblescumps Void-Bound Voyager

I cant wait! Is there going to be rare materials on an asteroid belt? like ores and gems?

2. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

that was one of my favorite things in Terraria was making the tower from the top of the map all the way to the bottom... I was sad how soon the map ended going up and how annoying the wayvren was

3. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

Wouldn't it make more sense if asteroid belts were tied to the star system, instead of the planet?

The idea of landing on a planet when you fall is interesting, but having asteroid belts orbiting stars makes a lot more sense in several ways. Plus, it could be an excuse to utilize the infinite-terrain code the game has, since asteroid belts are insanely long. Just my two cents.

MasterCael likes this.
  4. Fizz

Fizz Big Damn Hero

Is there going to be low gravity after you make it out of the planets atmosphere?

5. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

at least have the ship show up in the background

6. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

must be done! I want mega jumps like in terraria lol ^.^

7. Zukratis

Zukratis Orbital Explorer

Think of the other potential this new content may add: Vehicles may now appear as planes, space mechs, and gliders. It would be pretty cool to have gliding suits or some sort of vehicle to help us ascend and descend as if we were in a planetary land rover or some such object. Neat update though! I'm highly anticipating this game and basking in the updates as they seem to just become more and more in-depth/creative!

Toryu-Mau, riseoflegends and RomyCat like this.
  8. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

Very nice Tiy, looks pretty awesome

9. rexmankiller5

rexmankiller5 Aquatic Astronaut

make an fire under your feet as you enter the atmosphere

10. Jayson

Jayson Big Damn Hero

brilliant! this makes me excited. I was going to ask a question, then lost it. damnit.

11. TottWriter

TottWriter Title Not Found

It's like you read my mind...

Kurozaiaku likes this.
  12. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

While I know everything about this is temporary and up in the air.. can you give us an idea how tall worlds are in terms of blocks now? From the worlds core to belt?

13. Bigkahuna

Bigkahuna Big Damn Hero

Wait... will the asteroids orbit the planet, or stand still? I know the physics would be difficult on that, but... one can dream. =(

I assume that gravity will lessen as you get farther out of the atmosphere?

WhiteMousse likes this.
  14. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

I want recreational parachutes now lol, that looks so awesome! I love when their is stuff above you to explore, not just below

15. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Terraria had low gravity the further up you went. It made a lot of sense.

If you want to truly be a physics purist though, then what you'd do is have lower gravity at higher heights, but higher terminal velocity (due to no atmosphere). Meaning that even though you'd start accelerating slower, you could actually end up going faster after a bit of falling, and only slow down again as you enter the lower atmosphere. Bonus points if your spacesuit started glowing from heat as you entered the lower atmosphere, assuming you entered it at a higher velocity than the lower atmosphere's terminal velocity.

16. Rhondis

Rhondis Aquatic Astronaut

Sounds, and looks great! I like the fact that we can explore asteroids now, very perplexing! Maybe make a better falling animation? It kinda looks funny, like your sitting in place and the back ground is just changing.

17. Fortis

Fortis Pangalactic Porcupine

Holy crap. This is awesome.

And I just had an idea. Given the circular natures of the world, would it be possible to build a ring up in space around the whole planet?

18. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Certainly. I was already planning something along those lines. Or along those circles.

Chadpole likes this.
  19. Kurozaiaku

Kurozaiaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

Puh-lease, I don't nearly have the brain capacity, intelligence, hindsight or foresight to read anyone's mind-wait.. this isn't helping..
    WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING?! Reveal your secrets!

Edit: Nuuuu I lost my Tentacle Wrangler title ;-;

Fizz and Toryu-Mau like this.
  20. Rhondis

Rhondis Aquatic Astronaut

Halo 6: Starbound has arrived

Cloudhopper and Titanium like this.