16th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

I think I speak for most of the community with just the these simple words, "Potatoes and Bacon with a side of Beta Juice"

Also a short story because I can. Prepare for large amounts of stupidity.

"In a alternate universe where Tiy and his team are made a non-melting chocolate and the Earth is 1.3x bigger. Un-Released Starbound is just as awesome as it is here in this universe, but with one catch, when Tiy was a small non-melting chocolate kiss (equivalent to our universe's baby form) Tiy was dropped into a vat of radioactive caramel and given "Psychic Powers", unknown at the time of the incident. Tiy remained in the Hospital for a few days but was discharged after eating all the peppermints in the front office."

"After many years Tiy forgot the incident and started on a game called 'Starbound' it wasn't until then that his powers were beginning to show. He knew when people where about to knock unexpectedly, he sensed when something was going to fall out of the refrigerator when he opened it, and he always avoided traffic jams. This power grew stronger and stronger until he could see days, weeks, and even a month or two into the future." (You should know where this is going by now)

"This was when he decided to predict 'The Holy Beta Release' "...

To be continued...?

2. MrNacho87

MrNacho87 Astral Cartographer

RED PLANET. Looks great.

I don't think its a matter of toning it down though, it would be sweet if it was possible to have more subtle colour variations. Particularly in the background.

attached one sweet looking red dwarf planet.

Attached Files:

Heavy692 and Toryu-Mau like this.
  3. julz19

julz19 Phantasmal Quasar

amazing update once again, and please dont tone-down the colors, if you happen to find a planet really close to a sun or something, then so be it :rofl:

carcrasher65 likes this.
  4. andySp

andySp Sandwich Man

5. deluxeloy

deluxeloy Aquatic Astronaut

What's that thing in the last screenshot, far bottom left?

6. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Which thing? The wild banana tree or the breakable capsule?

Heavy692 and Toryu-Mau like this.
  7. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Title Not Found

So, give it a week, no, maybe two, to get finished and we'll get beta (hopefully).

8. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

FUCK YES THROWING KNIVES NOW PLEASE!

9. Chupathingy9081

Chupathingy9081 Intergalactic Tourist

Actually Tiy, I think that the Bows look good under the arm like that. it is how one would actually hold a bow.

10. Stevie

Stevie Aquatic Astronaut

It looks so good, and it hurts to wait... please release as soon as possible!

11. Mugiwara

Mugiwara Aquatic Astronaut

Pls let us bend the bow by holding the mouse button! Just one click to shoot an arrow is Kind of boring.

12. Antilogic

Antilogic Void-Bound Voyager

Awwwwwwwwwwwww c:

13. TheFinny

TheFinny Phantasmal Quasar

Concerning the red color, I would think that it would get much better if you changed the base color of the trees/leaves and grass etc.

Here's a good video to tell you why it would make sense:

So simply put, I would imagine that on red star planets, the plants wouldn't have green cholorphyll but something else instead, to avoid taking in too much energy and getting the so-called "sunburn".

Reflecting the red light instead of becoming dark brown or black due to green mixing with red would make the nature look more... natural. In that case, I think it probably wouldn't require the toning down.

Toryu-Mau, Unclever title and LastDay like this.
  14. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

Wait, why would I want to stun NPCs

15. Menasor

Menasor Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for the update Tiy. So 1st Image: the Red does appear to be too much, but could live with it since it is closer to a red dwarf star. Cool 2nd Image: those looking like Ba-Booms which is totally cool. Brave/Hunger Games 3rd Image: Sweet bows are finally in the game, now I can make pin cushions out of NPCs.

16. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

Awesome. I

17. Loria Cesaille

Loria Cesaille Big Damn Hero

Please do tone that down :S

I just hope there are enough planets in the game with the lighting we've been seeing all this time, if not, perhaps someone could mod it I guess.

18. ArcLight

ArcLight Subatomic Cosmonaut

That 3rd screen-shot with the bombs... that planet's looks remind me of Azuremyst Isle from WoW. Draenei-land ftw. Almost have to find a planet like that to live on now, likely going to starve to death on my ship before I find one :O

Also, not sure you should tone down the lighting effects, it would add very specific feels to any planet with similar properties, like a bluish glow for a world close by a blue star, and so on.

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  19. TheDR

TheDR Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

For the planet lighting, instead of adjusting the overall brightness maybe adjust the hue? The planet would be more of a pale red/pink rather than the dark red it is now.

20. Freddie The Potato

Freddie The Potato Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm... That greeting sounds familiar...
    The different colours of natural light on planets could look interesting, however I think it would be best to leave the natural lighting as white, in case players incorrectly perceive the colours of certain tiles based on the influence of the lighting. It could be used to achieve interesting atmosphere if used sparingly.