Post Apocolyptic Planets and Moons

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by AirplaneRandy, Nov 3, 2012.

1. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Radiation, creators filled with nuclear wastes, mutated animals, sapiens, and other anomalies. Modern ruins, destroyed vehicles, abandoned and inhabited underground bunkers (vaults). Barely surviving race of beings. Dead trees. This would be great because Starbound is already as Sci as it is gonna be. inb4 fallout

And to add on to the meteor things people talk about, how about instead of a planet, you have an asteroid belt that you can traverse which are basically low gravity floating planets made of iron and ice filled with rare ores. Add some very tough space faring enemies and you have yourself a stew going.

Travel high enough on a planet to reach its moons, dead space stations (with zombie astronauts), and floating asteroids.

Edit: You guys watch Adventure Time, with its post apocalyptic world and cute animals and mutants, yeah, make it like that.

Edit: An interesting biome to consider are American styled canyons placed in the middle of deserts, with high rising stones cliffs. Desert Aves would live in mud houses similar to the picture below. All deserts don't have to look like Egypt, some can be teaming with plants and animals, similar to American deserts.
    http://i.imgur.com/baJM4.jpg

2. Jedesis

Jedesis Ketchup Robot

I like this, reminds me greatly of playing DayZ. I see you play it too! What's your name! But I can only play it at Christmas when I get the internet. ;-)

3. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bwahahaha, it won't be a problem because I never touched DayZ once but hope so when stand alone version comes out. Appreciate the like Jedesis.

Jedesis likes this.
  4. Jedesis

Jedesis Ketchup Robot

Your welcome, I just thought the Zombie icon..you know...well anyway...what about the DARK side of the moon? It could provide a more scary landscape, as the entire side is enveloped in enternal darkness... ;-)

yourblackhalf and DrTj like this.
  5. Jedesis

Jedesis Ketchup Robot

Also I can't wait for the Standalone too. But that didn't stop me buying ArmA...it's a great game for what it is too.

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Hopefully the planet is already post-apocalyptic, and you don't have to destroy it yourself.

After all: I don't want to set the world on fire. ;)

7. Kaizerd

Kaizerd 2.7182818284590...

Will these post-apocalyptic ruins have sweet sweet treasure to discover, like the GECK? Are the space zombies through a virus or occult cause?
    Will you be able to mutate yourself into a giant green super mutant/orc?
    Can we haz bottlecaps?

8. XANA

XANA Void-Bound Voyager

THE PROBABILITY OF FINDING CIVILIZATIONS THAT HAVE DESTROYED THEMSELVES IS HIGHER THAN ONES THAT SURVIVED. THIS IS A MANDATORY FEATURE.

9. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Hmmmm isn't Xana from that cartoon?
    I mean *consider opinion* *reply*
    It really doesn't make sense that all races would be space age, and I highly doubt most civilizations that became that advanced won't just crumble.
    Anyway back to space age, I think that you should be able to find inhabited planets with the inhabitants at any sort of technological level.
    From the the technology beyond Human's current level to far behind.

Runetora and Model QT-377665 like this.
  10. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

Very good idea! I was just thinking of something sorta like this when I posted in another topic.
    There could be quests to investigate the devastated planets, discover artifacts, and learn information about who used to live there (and maybe what happened to them).

n1t3n likes this.
  11. XANA

XANA Void-Bound Voyager

I SUPPOSE THEN THAT THE INDUS VALLEY CIVILIZATION WOULD STILL BE AROUND WITH YOUR LOGIC.

gamer89810 and stenny833 like this.
  12. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

Strange alien civilizations that died off millions of years ago because of some cataclysmic event.
    Sounds like a science fiction book I read.

13. Tails7712

Tails7712 Spaceman Spiff

Maybe.....
    (Darn you beat me to it.)

Anyways,maybe you can find a nuclear warhead in a destroyed town,and you can disarm it and maybe get to recycle uranium.(What do you mean you don't think thats how it works?)

14. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

On one of the planets it's possible that there is a very similar civilization.

15. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

Just wondering, do you live in America? You seem to reference it a lot. Anyway, I like the idea of an apocalyptic world, then you could see what the world would look like after it got destroyed, maybe you could even see pictures or a video of some sort that showed it before.

16. Brodecaiser

Brodecaiser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or you could have a little quest where your last decision is to save the planet and have some permanent allies or destroy it and get some cool stuff.
    (cool stuff like an alien race would be all, "oh jeez you're so cool have some of our weapons")
    (permanent allies would provide you with a percentage of what the planet mines, gains, builds etc. and they would send out someone to help you out if you were in a sticky situation)

stenny833 and DatDudeDylan like this.
  17. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Hold on there, cowboy. Did you see the timestamps on the posts before you? This thread has been dead since November, until you posted. At least, now you know.

18. SoldierMorty

SoldierMorty Big Damn Hero

Well, since this thread got necro'd (and I just woke up and wanted to share/expand some thoughts while I've got them), I wanted to kind of bring some more thoughts into the fray for consideration. I dunno if there's a duplicate thread about this topic but if there is hopefully someone would be kind enough to point me towards it.

Anyways, I was thinking about what exactly players would encounter other than just simple post-apocalyptic worlds that were abandoned. There could be a chance that would be all you'd find along with a bounty of tech that was abandoned with the planet, but in order to increase variety I scratched up a list the devs could consider should unique encounters like this be implemented:

• First and noted before, we have the abandoned planet. There would be no NPCs present other than the animals that have managed to survive and the tech that was abandoned. It would not be obvious what went wrong but there could be opportunities to find quests and such to discover what happened. The quest, or through thorough exploration, could also lead to a lone survivor or small bunch of hardy settlers that have managed to weather their planet's apocalypse.
    • Then we have the classic zombie scenario. The world was stricken with a plague that could not be cured by the original settlers of the planet. All or many of the buildings created by the settlers would be intact but obviously there would be this atmosphere of worry in the air, perpetuated by creepy silence or low, howling winds. And then the uniqueness of coming across this planet? Well, personally I'd say fending off hordes of zombified settlers, but being able to do so would allow players to find a good cache of tech and other interesting tidbits that were abandoned on these particular planets. The game's generator feature could also configure if the planet has any survivors or not living somewhere on the infested planet, and if they'd give the player a quest to try and get rid of the infestation or destroy the planet completely (regardless of whether or not the player has gotten an OK from the NPCs, destroying planets willy-nilly seems like a player-based opinion than anything). As for the zombies, they could vary from hordes of slow moving ones to hordes of fast, screeching and jumping ones depending on the planet's difficulty. Also, bring lots of good lighting, because I feel zombie planets should always be dark, but perhaps this is something more involved with the generation of planets.
    • There's also the complete and utterly destroyed planets where absolutely nothing survived due to horrific war or otherwise. These planets would probably yield the least potential since everything died out due to war, but they could also be worth it should anything have survived, just to be fair to the player (or not!). The player would probably be greeted by a thick blanket of smog covering the planet due to irreparable environmental damage, then miles of miles of dead, dry ground while adventuring. Depending on the planet, the ground would have also been inflicted with irreparable damage because of volcanoes or the shifting of the planet's tectonic plates, leading to the rise or lowering of bodies of water or whatever. Unless there's such a thing as a unique encounter within a unique encounter, there could be abandoned or even inhabited underground bunkers that have managed to survive... or similar bunkers meant to survive but not quite.
    • Speaking of utterly destroyed planets, perhaps some of them simply did not have a saving grace of any kind. No adventurer was able to find a particular planet that needed help in time and whatever inhabitants could not survive long enough to wait. This particular post-apocalyptic planet can possibly be an updated state of the possible encounters listed above, where the planet has been taken over by nature after a certain period of time. Players would probably see a lot of moss over buildings, or trees or roots growing over ruined vehicles and attempting to pull them into the earth. Think the Last of Us. Whether these planets were updated from the state of planets mentioned in the previous bullets is something to be seen, but these planets could have also been abandoned and not found for ages.
    • Another variety of post-apocalypse could also stem from horrific environmental damage itself. For these particular planets the threat of nature is the main enemy, and unfortunately for the player they would be threats that the player would not be able to physically fight against. In just a few steps the player could come across a variety of different biomes that obviously should not or could not be together but all with particular weather patterns that would want to see the player dead on sight. Bring some gear able to weather against blunt-force trauma, because that wild hurricane's here to stay on this type of planet, and it's got a whole lot of stuff ready to throw at you!
    • Personally I think this next post-apocalyptic planet might be stretching it, but there could also be certain planets undergoing absolute war. Law and order have been completely thrown away, no matter where the player goes there is constant warfare going on with live people (with guns! SO MANY GUNS!). Cities have been completely ruined but war wages on, and there's no certainty which side to take or if it even matters because everyone's gone completely bonkers. Obviously the player can bonk the planet into oblivion if desired, but a little bit of hope can be tantalizing....
    • Lastly is the drowned post-apocalyptic planet. This would be a primarily water-based planet, because of some strange environmental occurrence that caused sea levels to rise to deathly levels (maybe because a player blew up a nearby moon or something. Dang it, player!). These sorts of planets would basically play like pirates in the new world, so players wishing to tackle these planets and acquire the sunken riches below would need to stock up on scuba gear. To make the planet seem fancy though, there could probably be survivors living underwater or mutated sea life that are much more dangerous than other sea life found on other planets. Or, you know, something like that. Regardless, bring lots of tools for underwater.
    On the other hand, "drowning" could be considered differently, like being drowned in a frozen, harsh winter for eternity. All this is up for debate anyways but hopefully this suggestion will be considered, because I do think it sounds like a fun addition for an adventuring type like me. One thing I believe should be strongly considered is the atmosphere surrounding these planets. Darkness is crucial for the horror elements of the zombie planet and the threat of drowning for the drowned planet. For the wartorn planet, the ambiguity of taking sides should be something important that the player should worry about. One side could promise something and the other side could promise another thing, but whether or not they keep their promises would be something else entirely, possibly even causing the chosen side to spawn enemies on other planets that would want the player dead for a particular reason. The atmospheric element for the wartorn planet would not only be the wanton destruction surrounding the player, but also looooooots of dead NPCs littering the planet.
    Anyways, yeah, hopefully this suggestion will be implemented in some way. Adventures hooooooo!

19. Gurdil

Gurdil Orbital Explorer

Ruins with a disease or some kind of parasite like the flood in halo would be great :whoop: .

20. Blinn

Blinn Title Not Found

ice age planet with cities frozen in time

n1t3n, Thetis101, stenny833 and 2 others like this.