1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated (Upbeat Giraffe) Other Races Actually Recognize Novakids v6.1 Alpha

And your Novakid actually says things when analyzing objects!

1. L. F. Oxidizer
    Introduction

So, Upbeat Giraffe made it into stable, and the Novakid race is one of the many things added to the game. You decide to try them out, eager to see their accents and how their wild west culture makes them percieve objects. Unfortunately, they have no specific analysis lines to say, and just state objects' normal descriptions when analyzing. You just shrug it off, thinking that at least villagers will have things to say to you. But guess what, they also have nothing special to say - they just say the one single default speech line, never recognizing you as the Novakid are still an incomplete race.

This is where this mod comes in. Seeking to fill the apparent gap between Novakids and other races, it will make villagers of other races recognize you as a Novakid and make comments on it, while sometimes talking about their personal lives.

[​IMG]

Mod Content

This mod is still at its alpha stage right now. The full scope of it is to make both villagers speak unique things to Novakids and for Novakids to have unique things to say when inspecting other objects instead of merely stating their descriptions - which, in most of the cases, yields a "You don't say?" reaction from players.

As of v6, most races have a total of 40 things to say to a Novakid. However, Humans have only 21 things to say, while the Hylotl have a meager four. With the objective of having villagers with assigned cities speak the same ammount of things they do to other races completed, this mod's future updates will focus more on analysis speech lines. And maybe a few other things...

As of v6, the current objects your Novakid character has unique things to say are:
    Apex objects
    Art Throphy objects(paintings)
    Avian objects
    Crafting objects(crafting tables, campfires, etc)
    Farmables(crops, seeds)
    Floran objects
    Flags
    Glitch objects
    Human objects
    Outpost objects
    Ship objects
    Spawners

[​IMG]

Interracial Diplomacies

The Novakid's relationships with other racies varies, not only with each generic race, but with each clan as well, for better or for worse.

The Apex have a tense relationship with the Novakid. An ambassador has insulted Big Ape, whether it was intentional or accidental, and as such relationships with the MiniKnog are very sour. Despite this, a couple of civillians are still a bit interested in the star people, and envy their lifestyle.

The Avians are similarly divided. Due to the infamous incident of a Novakid asking an Avian priest if Kluex was real, the Stargazers in general have a very negative relationship with the Novakid. Atheist Avians, however, are very friendly to them, most citing such incident as hilarious.

Due to the Novakid's stellar bodies, the Floran cannot eat them, a trait they share with the Glitch, so the two races can get along without killing each other. However, there are occasional conflicts between the two, as while the Floran do not eat the Novakid, they sure as heck love eating their steed, which naturally can make a couple of Novakid explorers very mad.

Despite being rather similar in terms of technologies, the Glitch have an intense rivalry with the Novakid. The two races are constantly pointing each other's flaws and attempting to look better, despite not being in an actual war. However, in some cases, the two races do get along then they need to team up and fight a bigger adversary, but unfortunately such cases are not quite common.

Relationships with the Humans are not commonplace and the two races rarely meet, though when they do, they tend to be amicable. Sometimes the two will clash, but overall they get along.

The Hylotl have the same case as Humans, though without the amicable part. While the two do not hate each other or have a rivalry, the Hylotl in general aren't very fond of the Novakid and think that they're unfit for patrolling sectors. Similarly, many Novakid see the Hylotl as uptight snobs who think they're the best thing since solarium stars.

Installation:

Unstable: Unzip the file into the "mods" folder in your game directory, simple as that.

Stable: Open the folder "storage_giraffe". You will find a "mods" folder inside - if not, create one. Put the mod inside that.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    CorraidhĂ­n, Mackinz and Inny like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Omnilock
    Omnilock
    5/5,
    Version: v6.1 Alpha
    Love this mod, I'd even say its one of the best out there for players who like playing as nova kids. only have a few bumps with it via self-made friendly lore i made between the races lol (I always saw a peace treaty between races like this: Avian - Hyotl - Apex and then the other peace treaty being Nova kids - Glitches - Florans, While humans are alone out there, Perhaps neutral to every race , While the two peace treaties above are against each other, similar to the axis vs allies from WW.) But none the less I love this mod :P I hope it gets future updates and becomes even funnier lol :p
  2. Nascu
    Nascu
    4/5,
    Would be awesome.. but cant download.
  3. DiggleDugger
    DiggleDugger
    5/5,
    This still needed/work for Spirited Giraffe?
    1. L. F. Oxidizer
      Author's Response
      Unless Chucklefish changes the way Starbound handles analysis quotes and NPC dialogues, it should always work with future versions. And since doing that would require a complete rewrite of every single object added to the game so far...
  4. Screaming Pillows
    Screaming Pillows
    5/5,
    I like it :D the jokes are good
  5. Plex_Director
    Plex_Director
    5/5,
    I gave this mod a shot not expecting much from it, but HOT DAMN! Bless my brand, do I love it! All the witty lines and quips are excellent!
    I collected some of my experiences in screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/pJCsC#11
    1. L. F. Oxidizer
      Author's Response
      Haha, thanks! I'll have a joytime seeing your screenies.
  6. Trek47
    Trek47
    5/5,
    It feels so much better not to have my Novakid just repeat the description of items and have NPCs only have 1 stinkin' line of dialogue for me. I hope they do something like this with vanilla Starbound soon-ish.
  7. Smileess
    Smileess
    5/5,
    Perfect but that comedian's joke was a bit too good xD
  8. Dexasol
    Dexasol
    5/5,
    Finally novakids can be recoginze and have their own speech!
  9. Painkiller784
    Painkiller784
    5/5,
    Novakids have some personality now! I feel like a true space cowboy, and that's perfect!
  10. brainduster
    brainduster
    5/5,
    I love the NPC quotes. The inspection quotes not quite as much, but eh. It fills a void left by Chucklefish.

Want any help with editing/spelling errors?
    1. L. F. Oxidizer
      Author's Response
      It'd be appreciated, but it would be pretty difficult to do so.