1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Starstructor, the Starbound toolset 0.7.5145.12730

Starstructor is a graphical .dungeon and .structure (ship) editor

1. Kel^
    Starstructor, the Starbound toolset

[​IMG]

Project Overview

Starstructor, previously known as the Starbound Toolset, is an open-source graphical editor for .dungeon and .structure files. The editor reads from a dungeon or ship file, converts that data into a graphical representation as would be seen in-game, then displays the results to the developer. The developer will be able to place tiles, objects, and npcs in the dungeon or ship, and the editor will automatically convert this back to the appropriate data that Starbound can read. The tool will completely abstract any JSON editing from the developer through use of intuitive user interface elements.

Current Release

The currently available version of Starstructor contains ship and dungeon display functionality, and rudimentary editing functionality. Brushes and parts can be imported through the editor. Starstructor in its current state is a very valuable tool for the experienced ship or dungeon editor, but it may be difficult to use for a novice. The intended user for this version is a developer experienced with JSON editing who wishes to use a graphical-based tool to edit dungeons or ships, or the average user who wants to view dungeons or ships outside of the game.

Screenshots

http://i.imgur.com/1Eu7C4k.png
    http://i.imgur.com/TwLGnmF.png
    http://i.imgur.com/xzM69M2.png

Source Code

https://github.com/Starstructor

How to contribute

Submit a pull request with your changes to the git repo you wish to contribute to. If you want access to regularly contribute directly to the repo, please contact Kel^ through IRC (detailed below) or through email at cstamford@gmail.com.

IRC Information

We have an IRC channel set up on irc.freenode.net, channel ##starstructor. This channel is mainly used for coordination between contributors. If you want to speak directly with the development team, need support, or simply want to hang out, you are welcome to join us there.

System Requirements
    1. Windows
    2. .NET Framework 4.0 (now with experimental Mono support - give it a shot on any Mono-supported operating system, but it may die horribly at any time)

Installation Instructions
    1. Extract the provided archive to a folder of your choice.
    2. Start starstructor.exe.
    3. The toolset will attempt to automatically determine the path of your Starbound steam installation. If this cannot be found, you will be prompted to enter a path manually. Navigate to your starbound/assets/ folder.
    4. Note: you will need to unpack Starbound's assets in order to use open them in the editor.

User Guide
    1. Open a dungeon or ship through the file menu. Be patient, it can take some time to generate all of the graphical maps.
    2. The editor will be populated with all the brushes (and their assets) upon file load.
    3. On the right side of the screen, you can navigate through the dungeon or ship parts by clicking on them.
    4. Clicking on a parent node will open the composited image, that is, all layers in one file. For example, "entrance1".
    5. Clicking on a child node will open the individual layer. For example, "entrance1.png".
    6. To toggle between graphical display and raw colour map display, use the combo box at the bottom left of the screen.
    7. To draw on the layer, select a brush by clicking on it, then left click on the map. Note that you will draw to the current active layer, so make sure to select the correct layer before drawing.
    8. To pan around the map, press and hold middle mouse button, or left and right click at the same time.
    9. To zoom in, use your mouse wheel.
    10. To refresh your current layer (in order to clear visual glitches), press F5.
    11. To take a screen grab of your current layer, press F10. This is saved to your Starstructor directory.
    12. To use the eyedropper tool, right click.
    13. You can right click on a part or brush (or navigate through the various other buttons in the editor) to add a new part of brush, or modify existing ones.
    14. Use the PropertyGrid at the bottom right to modify attributes for your current selection.

Known Issues
    1. Platforms do not display correctly.
    2. If you encounter a crash on start up, please update your .NET framework.

Credits

No mod description is complete without a list of those who helped out along the way.
    1. LowestFormOfWit - application icon and application name
    2. Armagon - regular contact and assistance throughout the development process
    3. heinermann - various contributions to source
    4. Everyone in ##starbound-modding, a helpful community full of the Starbound modding scene's best and brightest
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    Atheon, Dagaz, DeffreyJahmer and 31 others like this.

Recent Reviews

1. dagobertdu94
    dagobertdu94
    1/5,
    Version: 0.7.5145.12730
    Is there a updated version of this Toolset?
    I am not able to download this outdated Toolset since the target website needs too much time to answer...
  2. panzercatwagon
    panzercatwagon
    3/5,
    Won't open ship files. Plz update.
  3. Pixelguru26
    Pixelguru26
    4/5,
    Looks great and other people seem to love it, but Starstructor is a little.. okay maybe a lot finnicky for me. I've reinstalled it about 5 times now to fix crashes on startup, but every time I've gotten a crash for a different reason, so I'm going to have to give up on it until there's a fix.
  4. espilonarge
    espilonarge
    4/5,
    Managed to fix the crashing issue (must be set to Starbound's asset folder and not a random folder where the assets are uncompressed) however there is no current way to show custom object/tile assets from mods while in Graphical Display.
  5. Streider
    Streider
    3/5,
    .exe Crash :(
  6. apinanaivot
    apinanaivot
    3/5,
    Sadly it crashes all the time so it is useless for me
  7. Alnitak
    Alnitak
    5/5,
    Excellent work, this is going to save me a tremendous amount of time and trouble. Many thanks.
  8. Deader
    Deader
    5/5,
    Very useful program. I see no real possibility to make a dungeon map without it.
  9. mappo
    mappo
    5/5,
    Awesome!Everything works nice. Just one question: what does the "Comment" and the "colour" in General Brush Information use for Or how to use them?
    1. Kel^
      Author's Response
      The comment does nothing in game - it is used entirely by develops to keep track of what brush does what. The colour refers to the RGBA value which that brush corresponds to on the colour map.
  10. Kaiju_Riot
    Kaiju_Riot
    1/5,
    Impossible to understand the instructions, have no idea what this pak file is, I think I've already unpacked all the stuff because I can get the objects to load, but ship files are unaccessable by the mod, which makes it useless.
    1. Kel^
      Author's Response
      I am sorry that you found the tool useless.

As stated clearly in the tool description, the target audience for this tool is one familiar with the process of modding and manually editing .JSON files to create a custom dungeon or ship. It is your own responsibility to ensure you meet said criteria.

Even a cursory forum search would reveal exactly what a .pak file is and how it ties into modding Starbound. Unfortunately, it is not my job to educate you on how the process of modding custom dungeons or ships works.

I would suggest consulting the following link (discovered in less than ten seconds through a simple forum search) to learn more about the .pak system: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-to-successfully-pack-and-unpack-pak-files.66649/