1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Replacement Gun Names v1.0.1

New Names for Guns!

1. Boxtop
    (ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/c5w15ankumu0lf1/gunnames.zip)

DESCRIPTION

Sick of toting around "The Thundernator" and ole "Mr. Boombarrel?" Wouldn't you rather put two "P60 Striking Johnboys" in your hands, or clear a room full of bad guys with a "AR94 Debilitating Kalashnikov?" Well, then, this mod is for you!

This mod adds new entries to the namegen for guns to give them more Borderlands-sounding names. It's a small change, but adds a lot more variation to guns.

INSTALLATION

To install this mod, copy the modified files in the archive to your Starbound\assets\items\guns\randomgenerated folder, and say yes when you're asked if you want to overwrite the original files. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THE ORIGINAL .CONFIG FILES IN THAT DIRECTORY FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THIS.

Generally, you can expect the official updates to overwrite these files, so you might have to replace the files after each update.

Also, from what I've observed, changing the namegen config files will change the name of the guns any already-generated NPC merchant sells, but not the name of the guns you already have.

SCREENSHOTS

From before the major game rebalance:
    [​IMG]

CHANGELOG

v1.0.1 (12/13/2013): Added a few fixes to the original files posted here:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/alternative-names-for-guns.39846/

Recent Updates

1. v1.0.1 Download Mirror (Mediafire)

Recent Reviews

1. gtdcarthage
    gtdcarthage
    5/5,
    Version: v1.0.1
    This is an excellent weapon names mod. Names like Dudeshooter are funny at first but they do get tiring sometime. :)

I have a suggestion though - I checked out the config files themselves and found things like weapon prefixes repeatedly written over and over again like AR5 - AR99. Why not just write different prefixes ('AR', 'MG', 'XM', etc.) as a separate series and numbers as another? ('5', '6', '7' concatenated to '00', '000' because trailing zeros are beastly)
    1. Boxtop
      Author's Response
      I'm not entirely sure if I can add another series of words to the generator itself; I know that that weapon names are generated with only three parts, and putting another series in there would probably screw up the generator.

That said, I did the whole repeating AR5-AR99 thing because it seemed like the only way to have multiple prefixes without the generator producing too many odd or duplicate names. The generator doesn't really come with a symbol to generate a random number.