1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Less Floaty Movement 1.03 | Enraged Koala

Makes running and jumping more precise and responsive.

1. Shal
    Less Floaty Movement

Starbound's movement system often feels extremely floaty, even on high-gravity planets. When you jump, you float upwards and then drift gently down. When you stop moving, you slide for a bit. And forget about trying to change direction in midair.

As of Beta v. Enraged Koala, similar changes have been implemented by default. This mod is no longer quite so different from vanilla movement (increasing gravity only by a factor of 1.27 instead of 1.9, etc.), but still pushes values such as ground friction and jump control force as high as possible.

This mod changes the following:

• Increases the coefficient of friction between characters and the ground. Increases run speed to compensate; perceived run speed should be roughly the same. Now when you stop, you stop instantly. No more trying to inch closer to the edge of a cliff and sliding off.

• Increases the gravity multiplier. Increases jump speed to compensate. Jump height on ships and in dungeons should be the same, but may differ from normal under different gravity conditions. Jump up faster, fall down faster. Less time drifting through the air.

• Decreases the effect of holding down the space bar to gain more height while jumping. Increases the initial force of the jump to compensate. Jumps are now front-loaded. Holding the spacebar for longer than 0.1 seconds will not add to the jump, but a quick tap will still result in a shorter jump.

• Increases direction-changing force on the ground and in the air. Negates air friction. You can now change direction mid-jump much more easily.

This allows for increased character control, with faster stops and turns, quicker and more precise jumps, and better character weight. These changes affect all characters, including monsters, who will now pounce more quickly.

Fall damage is higher, so don't dive off cliffs without considering the distance you're about to fall. If you still want to be able to dive a few dozen meters without dying, you can craft a new Safe Falling System back item at the crafting table. This will lessen falling damage to roughly the same strength as unmodded Starbound.

[​IMG]

The Safe Falling System can be dyed with Dyeing Bucket.

Installation Instructions:

Extract the LessFloatyMovement folder into your Starbound/mods directory.

To uninstall, simply delete or remove the LessFloatyMovement folder.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.

Recent Reviews

1. greenRAM
    greenRAM
    5/5,
    Version: 1.03 | Enraged Koala
    Great addition! Feels much better. Slightly more challenging.
  2. Lannahtreeve
    Lannahtreeve
    5/5,
    Feels natural and solid, and definitely less "floaty." Took no time to get used to it.
  3. Ceridran
    Ceridran
    5/5,
    I play Apex, so I jump high, but I hate my floaty movement. Thank you.
  4. CuttsAndBruises
    CuttsAndBruises
    5/5,
    Makes for very precise controls! Thank you for this mod, and the fall damage pack. I use the Arcane Add-on and take some huge tumbles when trying to keep up with my Bubble Boosting friends. It's made a huge and immediate difference in my gameplay!
  5. SmoothGuy
    SmoothGuy
    5/5,
    Almost no words required, amazing balance to the game
  6. Vanillarune
    Vanillarune
    5/5,
    This mod makes you feel like your character is solid and fragile. No more paper like feeling.
  7. vinylrecord1445
    vinylrecord1445
    4/5,
    Version: 1.03 | Furious Koala
    Wonderful addition to the game. This mod makes the entire game feel more grounded and graspable. My only gripe is that the space bar press is far to sensitive making me wish for an option to change the press sensitivity in game.
  8. Salius
    Salius
    5/5,
    You have improved one of the most frustrating aspects of the game for me! No more nudging myself right into that tiny acid puddle!
  9. joey4track
    joey4track
    5/5,
    omg thank you for doing this! This has been my biggest issue with SB and your mod makes the game actually fun for me. There are some kinks but once they are worked out this will be a must have mod. The control and the fights are more faced paced and brutal and I like the added fall damage.
  10. specktre
    specktre
    5/5,
    Personally, I prefer vanilla movement over this. But I won't rate you down because of that, since the mod works perfectly and does what it's meant to. Great job.