1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Kobold Race v0.1 Giraffe Like Kobold

A savage race of unintelligent, but adorable kobolds.

1. CaptainKobold
    Kobolds In Space

a race mod by @CaptainKobold and @Bucketlamp
    Development Roadmap

[​IMG]

Why Kobolds?
    [​IMG]

Kobolds have a long, varied history as weak little beasts who at best provide short times of amusement for angry heroes. One offshoot of this mythos is the "cutebold" from the very excellent game Dwarf Fortress. These specific 'bolds are daring, adorable, and terribly useless in all manner of situations.

This mod aims to capture the role of a primitive, unintelligent kobold who has abruptly ended up in the stars. Your kobold will lack for advanced knowledge, create inferior equipment, and just generally be less suited for the adventuring life. This will create an added challenge with the extra benefit of adorable little kobolds.

On the plus side, they have the gods and spirits behind them. Sacrifice metals to the dark god Arrengee to get animal spirits that will buff you of improve your equipment!

[​IMG]

Current Features:
    • Customizable Kobolds (6 colors, 4 ears, 3 warpaints in 4 colors)!
    • Pray to the dark god Arrengee for animal spirits to make special salves granting their strength!
    • Named, Randomly Generated powered by the spirits!
      • Currently Available: Tier 1 Wolf Broadsword (hunting) and Tier 2 Snake Spear (poisoned)
    • Four sets of kobold specific starter clothes!
    • Unique crops!
    • Extra new item for the exceptionally well dressed kobold!
    • Rewritten introductory codex entries and 3 concurrent quest lines!
    • Rapidly growing collection of codexes and lore!
    • No matter manipulator! Get by with an axe instead!
    • Monsters drop bones when hunting!
    • Tier 0.5 (bone armor), Tier 1, and Tier 2 armor!
    • Custom name-gen!
    • Kobold villages with 4 NPC types!
    • Compatible with the Racial Crossover Mod!
    • Fluffy Wamblers of All Kinds of Colors!
      [​IMG]
    Changelog for Version 0.6
      • Wolf Spirit Changes
        • Added tier 1 wolf swords. These are craftable using wolf spirits, replacement for dog spirits with radically improved image. Currently there is only one handle and blade, but these ARE randomly generated weapons with their own unique name pool which may be expanded with time.
        • Added wolf helmet (currently set to tier 3 helmet)
        • Added Wolf Callers: Lost Sons codex (to villages)
      • -Village Changes
        • Added snake temple (along with a new snake shaman)
        • Added a couple of extra kobold lines
        • Rebalanced some treasures
        • Added Forlorn codexes 1 & 2
      • -Minor Changes
        • Actually made Forlorn armor craftable.
        • Added a couple of extra kobold lines.
    Complete Changelog and Upcoming Features/Requests
    Available as a freely editable Google doc here.

Installation:
    Download your kobolds!
    Open the file!
    Extract the folder: "kobolds" to your "..\starbound\mods" library
    Run the game

I believe that this will require either the XBawks Character Creator or the Simple Extended Character Mod to play.

Credits
    @Bucketlamp has been amazing with creating tons of sprites!
    @Kel^ 's Starstructor program and help with settlements!
    @Smiley 's gambling chests were modified to make the altar!
    @MrMagical's dyeing buckets were modified to make the spirit anvil!
    The folks at the Racial Crossover Mod provide constant inspiration!
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    Zemmkleg, Mackinz, beari78 and 10 others like this.

Recent Reviews

1. SilverTalismen
    SilverTalismen
    5/5,
    Version: v0.1 Giraffe Like Kobold
    I love how it looks and I /sincerely/ hope it updates soon
  2. NigglyWiggly
    NigglyWiggly
    3/5,
    Is this going to be updated anytime soon? It looks really promising, but unfortunately it's pretty out of date right now
  3. Nexus Shotgunner
    Nexus Shotgunner
    5/5,
    I've always wanted a mod where I could play as a Kobold, and I'm glad that a mod for such exists. They're absolutely adorable, naive, and soft. All this tribal stuff you've added into the mod is amazing!
    I see you've gotten inspiration from Dwarf Fortress, heh.

Though, I believe this mod is missing spawners for Kobold villagers, merchants, guards, etc. Also, all the extra challenge of trying to survive as a cutebold is very nice, too. It makes the mod feel worthwhile, I pray that this mod develops faster than the game itself so I can see a whole new content from you.

If only it were fully compatible with other mods like that "Aryan Race" mod (It's based off of Iron Sky, sorta WWII sci-fi) , because when I installed both mods, I only saw the Aryan in the extended modded race selection. Overall, beautiful work, 11/10.
  4. StarLoverNaz
    StarLoverNaz
    5/5,
    I really love this mod and can't wait for all the stuff to be updated to upbeat giraffe! :D
    1. CaptainKobold
      Author's Response
      Thank you very much! I'm hoping to get it more running in the near future!
  5. Xalver
    Xalver
    1/5,
    Version: v0.72 Wraithful Hammers
    the spears are non directional, and the basic digging tool should have been left in.

revising the mod to have this will help alot!
    1. CaptainKobold
      Author's Response
      Thank you for the input! The spears will in the next update become directional, but at this time I don't think there is plan to re-institute the base digging tool as a starting item. That said, I've been toying with ideas related to stealing more advanced technology in order to get those! It may depend slightly upon where the base game goes!
  6. Burly_Jim
    Burly_Jim
    5/5,
    Hey there, just started messing with your mod and am greatly enjoying it. Did run into a weird thing though, the first village I went into was almost totally empty save for three 'bolds, and had about 50 houses in a row with a little fire to the left. Really skeeved me out.
    1. CaptainKobold
      Author's Response
      That sounds like it shouldn't have happened that way! Hopefully we'll have a new version out soon (production starting again) which should fix that up. It'd say there's a good chance it's a leftover testing thing I forgot to switch.
  7. Wiredwrong
    Wiredwrong
    5/5,
    Great work, very nicely done with the unique weapon generation and the nice refreshing challenge it presents. Do you plan to update the ship/respawn animations with a custom ones eventually?
  8. epicness403
    epicness403
    5/5,
    Version: v0.712 Mostly Bugfixes
    Great mod very nice to have a quest-line however how do you use the spirit anvil?
    1. CaptainKobold
      Author's Response
      Thank you very much!

We're definitely still playing with how the spirit anvil works a little bit. The way that you use it is a little limited currently (because we're still working on adding in ALL of the various weapons), but basically you create a hammered weapon at the altar to Arrengee and then put the hammered weapon and a matching spirit on the spirit anvil!

Currently (with what I think this version has) the available weapons are an iron wolf broadsword and a steel snake spear. Next version there should be quite a bit more, though it may not all be fully redesigned yet.
  9. Aidan
    Aidan
    5/5,
    Version: v0.711 Monstrously HotFix
    Works amazing and looks amazing, one of my personal favorite custom races.
    1. CaptainKobold
      Author's Response
      Thank you very much! We're working on getting some more data out to make it more enjoyable soon!
  10. Chompy
    Chompy
    5/5,
    Version: v0.711 Monstrously HotFix
    My favorite race, unique and adorable. Can't wait to see what's next. :)
    1. CaptainKobold
      Author's Response
      Thank you very much! I'm very glad you like it!