1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Struggle with Races and Ships.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Manixx, Feb 25, 2015.

1. BlasphemyX

BlasphemyX Starship Captain

Well we should just be able to break the ship and alter it. I'm hoping this is a goal because when I experienced that mod before it felt vanilla and natural. Just have the ships hull shielded like dungeons under S.A.I.L.'command. Being able to just heighten or extend some ship parts would be great and let us 3d print all the ships original building material and assets like engines for a price.

The problem for me with the train ship it just look unnatural. Unlogical for a smart race like Novas. I'd do with a steam punk spaceship. But it could be much cooler and more interesting than this.
    I've grown accustomed by it tho and at max level it's really not a massive hassle to traverse. Super easy 1 straight line can do it in seconds with techs.

2. Helena Vinelash

Helena Vinelash Big Damn Hero

The Hylotl ship dessign is a bit weirdly honesstly. I haven't upgraded the shipss asside from the Floran ship in the Unsstable, ssince I really don't like fetch quesstss and am only willing to do them the firsst time.

Imagine my annoyancce though when I found out that you need to do the fetch quesstss in order to get the ship upgrades right now.

But the floran ship is nice, would be neat to have a racce-specific interior too. Sso far, all shipss on an interior level are identical ssave for the AI and ship conssole color, but they don't really count all that much honesstly.

Kinda does make me wonder why the Floran ship getss a wierd mini pyramid bit. Very sure their culture isn't eqyptian-essque in the leasst, but I dunno. Waiting for the game to change more in termss of progression before I play again. That or the 3rd bosss getss changed in some way. I imagine their culture would be like if Orcs were plantss pretty much, with ssome posssible influencces from other non-eqyptian cultures... Avians are more eqyptian, ssince they're the only ones who have tombs. and it makess more logical ssense, ssince their Zeuss counterpart is part bird, and Avians are part bird.

TrueEdge likes this.
  3. FakeGeekGamerGirl

FakeGeekGamerGirl Big Damn Hero

Pyramid iss avian sssalvage.

Tamorr likes this.
  4. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

I disagree...

I personally love the idea of flying a freaking Pyramid through space. That just sounds so awesome to me...

Also I don't think Spaceships need to be "aesthetic", since you know....they are super advanced space-ships and everything... x.D

But, customizing your ship does sound like an awesome idea... (Of course I'd just go for another Pyramid ship again. ^.^ )

5. Gonzoro

Gonzoro Void-Bound Voyager

I like the ship designs they show their lore the only problem I have is that is the glitch are stuck at medieval how did the glitched glitch escape on a flying castle.

6. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Glitch that are part of the communal mind are stuck in the medieval age due to a fault in the programming designed to make them simulate a culture of living creatures. Player Glitch are Outcasts - those who have been severed from the communal mind and are capable of independent thought. Once freed of the simulation, a Glitch's capacity for technology and engineering can expand rapidly. One would guess they kept the medieval appearance simply out of familiarity.

7. L. F. Oxidizer

L. F. Oxidizer Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not a big fan of the Floran(not saying I hate 'em - they look nice, but I dislike their savagery), but their ship is pretty cool. Similarly, I like the Hylotl but until I get the ship to tier 7, it looks... weird.

8. Gonzoro

I understand that but how did they build this they are stuck in medieval age and some outcasts managed to build space ships without being caught and manage to find the resources.

9. Nerva

Many Outcasts continue to live in Glitch society for quite some time before they are "outed" as Outcasts and the inquisition squdas come to repurpose them. An iron bar goes missing here, a couple of the local wizard's crystals go missing there, a spool of copper wire goes missing somewhere else, and over the course of maybe a decade a primitive starship is made. Once free of the need to simulate biology, Glitch don't need to sleep and only need to eat sufficiently to keep themselves fueled and repaired, leaving much more time for them to sneak off and build a functioning starship. Others, more simply, will stow away or hitch a ride on another race's vessel if their planet is visited, and build their own ship once free of Glitch society.

10. Gonzoro

Fair enough should be in the lore

11. Nerva

It is, but you've gotta watch for it. If you can avoid scaring them by killing guards or other civilians nearby, talking to Glitch villagers inside Glitch Castles will occasionally reveal one or two to be Outcasts, living right under the nose of the Glitch King. They'll beg you not to talk to them, remark wistfully about freedom, and may even ask if they can stow away in your ship.

12. Gonzoro

Just as I was about to say I never find Glitch villages I found one in the way of my new house.

13. shuruga

shuruga Void-Bound Voyager

I like Avian and Avian ship.
    The shape and color are great and usual, I think it's just a matter of taste.

I think the better solution would be to add the ability to buy new spaceship at a very expensive price.
    And there is actually some mods get/create new spaceships.
    If it is a real struggle mods could be the quickest solution.

14. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

The ships are a problem in my opinion too.....a solution I highly recommend is modding and building your own ship.....still the ugly ships do nearly ruin some races, even with my own ship erasing the "space train from existence" it's hard to play as a dude that I know for a fact wanted to get a train shaped ship. At the moment the ships and their designs appear final as far as the main game is concerned so I'm not sure if threads like this will accomplish anything anymore but mods are definitely the way to go here.[DOUBLEPOST=1425322416][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The worst part for me about all the ships is simply that they appear nailed to things of humanity's ancient past.....pyramid, coal train, boat, castle....etc....this is not the distant future and there is no reason for alien races to stick to or to try to emulate ancient and obsolete human tech/constructions.

15. Nerva

This is also not our universe, as in what we recognize as physical reality. It's the Starbound universe, which has always been rather whimsical and apparently prone to convergent evolution, both biologically and socially. The reason each race has elements from what we'd recognize as human history is because humans basically went through all of the cultural and societal 'phases' that most of the other races got 'stuck' in. Cultures that defined only a certain segment of the population at some point in human history instead expanded to engulf the entire species in the history of the other races.

Avians have giant pyramids for ships because both starships and pyramids have enormous religious significance to them, and are the most convenient shape that their crystal technology allows. Glitch build flying space castles for the sake of nostalgia and familiarity - when you're raised for your entire life in a medieval culture and then get thrown into the stars, it's comforting to have your home be something that resembles home. Novakids build space trains probably because they had the crazy idea of taking an ordinary locomotive, and flying it out into space. "It runs on land perfectly fine, why not make it fly?" Besides, using a train as a pattern is faster than coming up with your own hull design - important when the builder is a race that's universally ADD by human standards.

Not sure where you're getting "boat" from - the only boats I've seen are Avian air-pirates, which are airships, not starships. Hylotl ships resemble sharks or whales, but with three 'eyes' much like their own eyes. Floran ships are an amalgamation of parts from other ships, held together by some spaceworthy, super-strong breed of creeping vine - fitting with their habit of stealing technology from other races and repurposing it for their own use, with their own technology consisting of specially-bred plants.

It may seem weird at first blush, but if you dig a little, it starts to make sense in context. You're welcome to continue disliking the designs, I'm not holding your opinion against you. But please don't say there's "no reason" for aliens to "emulate" human technology. Because in most cases, they're not emulating - they have their own reasons for winding up with a design similar to something humans would recognize.

Gonzoro and BlasphemyX like this.
  16. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is so true. I would love to play glitch, but I just don't like the ship style. The added ability to find another abandoned ship, repair it, and use it, would be a wonderful, as well as immersive, feature.

Gonzoro likes this.
  17. DarthTrethon

Nope, there is no neat logical explanation to try wiggle out of the fact the ships are ugly and poorly thought out. There is no good enough reason or practicality behind making a train ship or a pyramid ship and so on.....no reason good enough to accept these things over a mod.

I don't complain about a lot of things in Starbound but this is definitely a weak point.

18. BlasphemyX

BlasphemyX Starship Captain

It's one of those things that's not really upto us. We're at mercy of the designers. They were hired to work out the vision of the developers. They know what they're doing. In years starbound won't be that game with the unimaginative common spaceships. It'll be the game with the cool train pyramid castle ships. No one will remember the human ship lol.

I like the reasons given above in Nerva's post they make sense lore wise.

It's easy to say it could have been better or more conventional. Heck I think I said it earlier in this topic. But really it doesn't have to. We have quirky fun ships for this quirky fun game. And they function.

Gonzoro and Nerva like this.
  19. DarthTrethon

Actually it is up to us. That's what mods are for and there are a vast array of mods to shape the experience every which way you can dream of.....including sending the vanilla ships to the scrap yards for either ships you build yourself or if that's not your thing ships made and designed by other players......now the new modding system is still quite new so options for the latter are limited but as time passes and especially after release there will undoubtedly be a ton of options for ships.

Right now the best option is MadTulip's Ship Building mod that lets you hand craft your own stunning ships with smooth tile sets.....none of that blocky, obviously hand-made, second-rate stuff.

20. Full Metal Kirby

Full Metal Kirby Phantasmal Quasar

Calling something "ugly and poorly thought out" just because you don't like is rather silly, though to each their own opinion -- I like the vanilla ships as they are. Besides, if parasites can make pyramid spaceships work, humanoid birds can too.

But as you said, that's where mods come into play -- to please those who don't agree with the devs intended designs.

Nerva and DarthTrethon like this.