1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer Black Screen Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vaxillian Prime, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Vaxillian Prime

Vaxillian Prime Space Hobo

Want to first say hi and that I have never been on this forum before.

Down to business.
    Just recently me and my friend have been having trouble hosting our multiplayer server.

No matter who host the server or which port we use whenever we set it up and the other joins all they see is black with the force sharing option appearing, sometimes with some freezing beforehand.

We use Hamachi for hosting as it has done us good in the past but I don't know how to fix this though I have heard of instances of this to others in the past.

Is there a fix for this?!

• Fred10k

Fred10k Great Scott!

Well, there could be hundreds of causes for this.
      Do you have any logfiles or error messages to share? Maybe we can find out something. :)

• Vaxillian Prime

Any specific location I could find these log files?

I searched the Risk of Rain file in my steamapps folder and saw no log files or error messages and I get no error messages during the game either.

Edit: I'd just like to emphasize that me and my friend got this problem at the same time. So I'm thinking maybe it could've been caused by an update?

• Fred10k

Fred10k Great Scott!

That could be due to changes at the server.

Did you try to delete the old worldfiles (make a backup!) and recreate a server?

• Vaxillian Prime

I'm guessing that you are referring to the "Save" file. We have done something similar my friend has uninstalled his game and I have verified my file cache. Neither seemed to work...

• Ursula

Ursula Guest

I know your problem and fix for this, fortunately for you.
              Hamachi, however common it is to use, is rather lack luster. It doesn't always do it's job. I'd suggest using a game client called Evolve; it's a simple server client that you can use to automatically set up ports and IPs for you, all you need to do is create an account, make a party using the client, host the selected game, and your friends can connect using the ip on the client party.
              Here's a more simple explanation:
              1. Download & install the Evolve game client.
              2. Create an account.
              3. After you log in and the client is open, click the 'Evolve' icon at the top left corner and click 'Create Party...'
              4. When you do that, Evolve will automatically create the room for you. You can click the cog at the top right corner to configure room name, etc.
              5. On the right panel, click 'Send Party Invite' - when your friends have an account and you add them - you can send the invite by inputting their name.
              6. Finally, load up Risk Of Rain, or any other multiplayer game you wish to host a server on, host the game using the default IP on the menu. And your friends can join using the IP on the Evolve client, on the right side of the hosts name.
              I hope this helps.