Dev Update #23!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheFudgement, Dec 16, 2014.

1. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

It's here! Make sure to check it out if you didn't already.

http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-23/

It's about decorating and upgrading your own house, and it seems the house customization will be very versatile! Looks very neat in my opinion.

Maybe next time we'll get an update on family/domestic life.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I love it! Next would almost definitely be family/domestic life.

Since he says so ;)

• Negaman

Negaman Void-Bound Voyager

Yes yes yes oh god yes!
        This game looks so fun and the amount of detail is phenomenal! Cannot wait to play!

• oath2order

Except there kinda IS a timeline for what he works on

• Terrax7

Terrax7 Big Damn Hero

Hopefully the timeline will give us a better way to estimate the release. Unless there are things that he doesn't want us to know... Not that I would know(seriously I have no clue)

• oath2order

Except with each new update, it's kind of proven that he's been doing the tasks in order.

• kattenjansson

kattenjansson Cosmic Narwhal

Except that they keep changing, some are added, some aren't spoken of, and there's still not even one mention of an estimate of when this game could hypothetically be finished. if you want to argue over what is a timeline vs what is a to do list then please go right ahead. except a) you're wrong, b) I won't participate

• oath2order

You won't participate because you're wrong. All you do is come here to complain about "there's no timeline" and critiquing the dev

• oath2order

> cheated
                    You haven't paid for anything, you are owed absolutely nothing.

• TrueStardewFan

TrueStardewFan Space Hobo

Ok, ok. Alright. You know what your talking about. So why don't you go, and make your own game. And try to abide by a timeline made before you even started working and then tell me what you think about how the making of this game is? Hmm? No, oh ok thats what I thought. ;3

• oath2order

I thought you said you weren't responding to me.

oh right you did :)

• SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Christ, I'm from the Starbound forum but I think I'm going to side with you guys about Katten.

• oath2order

Welcome to the Stardew Valley forum! :D

• Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just realized... Televisions are clearly shown in both pictures, the same one. <theory time>

• Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

Stardew probably was going to be released in 2013 or early 2014.

That would not be the same game you're going to get when this is done. The Stardew of 2013 was more akin to Mario Bros 1 for the NES. In comparison, Stardew in it's current state is more along the lines of Super Mario All Stars + World.

You're angry that he didn't release a game with very little content and is instead polishing it to the best of his ability, to give you the most satisfying experience he can for your money?

Ferrettomato likes this.
                                • Deuk

Deuk Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly I don't mind it taking a while to finish the game, I'd just love some more (detailed) updates.. I check the website every day in hopes of finding new stuff, but I'm disappointed when it still says 16 december or whatever day the last update was posted :)

• Dunto

Dunto Guest

Keep it civil in here. You're not required to agree with each other's opinions, but you ARE required to be respectful of them and of each other.

• AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

Way to keep it classy, ladies.

Anyway, I hope I can enlighten some of you since I have some experience with programming, game development, and timelines.

So the question is: Why not give a timeline?
                                      Well, try looking at this from a different angle: Why would anyone even want a timeline?

The fact is, timelines don't help a game developer, at all. They are only for consumers. And even for consumers there is almost no purpose for them, other than to tide over emotions.
                                      However, consumers are upset when timelines are missed or dates are pushed back and still hyped/anxious even knowing a date. So in truth no one benefits from this except for people prone to letting their emotions get the best of them, which is probably the only reason they are ever wanted in the first place. (And don't let this offend any of you. Emotions make you human. Emotionless people are monsters.)

But that still doesn't answer the question, does it? So let's talk about programming and game development.
                                      The simple fact about this is that there is really no way to know the future. Programmers pretty much always have a significant difficulties in projecting timelines or trying to issue project management. There are massive amounts of time and resources that often go into huge teams of people just to focus on reaching deadlines and hitting goals, and even then it's almost never obtainable.
                                      Setting hard dates results in buggy software, which is problematic for the game industry as this is often-occurring due to consumer and investor/Publisher demands for a release.
                                      Setting loose dates means not being able to project out to the end of the project, so you're left with goal-dates that mean nothing to a consumer (or investor/Publisher).

It is something that the software industry has never had a good control of. It requires a lot of time and experience and a routine work-pattern in order to be able to even vaguely set a date for consumers unless you're pretty much done with the project.
                                      The reason is simple: As a programmer you can never know how long a single piece of the project might take. Sometimes you may create a bug that is almost impossible to find, so you have two choices: Hope consumers are happy with a buggy mess, or spend extra time seeking it out.

And Game Development is not just programming. Video Games are actually one of the most difficult types of software to create in existence. They do things completely differently then pretty much any other type of software and are extremely complex because they have so many different pieces all having to do so many different things all at once. And I don't mean just a bit different. Game Development is MASSIVELY different than normal programming. Words cannot express this enough, you would have to become a programmer yourself to truly understand.

ConcernedApe is just one guy doing not just programming, but art, game design, project-management, sound, and I'm sure also trying to have (at least part of) a real life. That's a lot of work for just one guy.
                                      He doesn't have a team of people to help him set up goals or push deadlines. He doesn't have a strict work-routine, as this is a personal project of an indie dev. He doesn't follow a rulebook written by a Publisher (investor) that states he will run out of money if he doesn't release by 'X' date.

He is one guy making a game that he can be proud of.
                                      He doesn't know how long that is going to take.
                                      And he isn't going to lie to you and make up a date just to make some people momentarily happy, a happiness that obviously would not last no matter how things turn out.

This is simply just how game development works.
                                      Besides, how many other games do you even see giving out "timelines" or release dates, including games with budgets in the millions, before a game is mostly complete? It's simply not done, even when you have crazy uninformed investors telling you that you have to get it done by 'X' date.
                                      Think of companies like Blizzard who don't give you details about a game until it is already "complete" and they are merely just working out the bugs.... and yet they STILL don't give you a time frame for release.
                                      Companies like Nintendo and Sony, who will only tease you with details about a game until it is 90-99% done and only give you a release date so that you can go preorder - and they still occasionally delay their games because they simply just weren't ready yet.
                                      Or how about companies like Microsoft, EA, and many others who are entirely willing to release buggy messed up games to unsuspecting consumers simply for the sake of staying true to a release date?

And those companies are spending MILLIONS on development and have hundreds or thousands of people working on a single game.
                                      I don't think there is any room to misunderstand the scope of this game's development here. It's not a million-dollar game. It's not a team of a hundred people. There is a massive difference that cannot be overstated.

And these are but brief explanations of why a timeline can't truly be given within reason.
                                      It would probably require walking a mile in a game developers shoes to understand the rest.

Kab00mBaby and kattenjansson like this.
                                      • Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i keep forgeting this game exisets
                                        i hope it comes out this year

i also wish the game dev talked abit more
                                        but i gess beggers cant be choosers

• WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

It is indisputably better than Cube World. Let's take comfort in that.

Ferrettomato likes this.