1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays Nightly: They started adding the Biome-Obstacles

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LazerusKI, Nov 26, 2014.

1. LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

Biome Obstacles?
    Thats the system they mentioned here http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=91
    where you cant enter every planettype right from the beginning.

Just read through the files as usual, just to see what is new since not all new things are mentioned in the blogs (at this point the blog is not released for today)

and im just hyped right now. here is a copy from my reddit post:
    • A new crafting station to "hire employes", so i guess we will be able to build NPC spawners here.
    • new biome status-effects (cold, heat, radiation), i think thats for the Biome-Tier system.
      They all add some movement based values, so you are slower, cant jump as high and such things.
      Also they damage your energy and health with a raising number, so the longer you have that effect, the more damage you take.
      That number is based on a percentual value, every second it increases itself by 0.005 (i guess that means 0.5%).
      So every second it removes more and more energy and health while also slowing you down. BUT:
    • new tech-skins to protect against them, interesting solution, sounds like a nanoskin or something like that.
    • new techs
    Shieldbubble creates a shield that absorbs damage for 10s.
    Energy Regen regenerates the energy when pressing "up" but you cant move while doing it. (totally love it for the gun-gameplay, it could basically act as a reload system)
    Bounce lets you "reflect the ground" what removes falldamage then.

and some other changes in text aswell, techs now show how much energy they need.
    i might be wrong in some points, maybe they wont get implemented in the way i have read, but still, its interesting to see them.
    So it was again a very nice patch with some very interesting changes.
    Thanks for the good work!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Exxil3d, LastDay, Jbeetle and 4 others like this.
  2. Treldent02

Treldent02 Orbital Explorer

I've been messing around with the newest Nightly builds, and many things have been improved. (Also, you might a' missed this, but two of the shops in outposts work now)
    You can certainly see most things coming together now, the next update is shaping up to be pretty awesome...

3. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

More stuff being added during a long delay between stable releases when it could be something added after the game is released.

Nimeni and Pingeh like this.
  4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

That depends on one's perspective

5. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

You know, I'm starting to love it when you quote me, it's like seeing a super fanboy jump to the defense of say, Joss Wheadon or George Lucas over a legitimate complaint. Still, it is true, every time you add a new thing in game development, it has to be tested, balanced, then tested again, and that just adds to development time. We're looking at almost 10 months without a major stable update, as the ones in March and April were not nearly as big as February's in terms of what was added.

Exxil3d, Nimeni and Pingeh like this.
  6. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

Thanks for sharing. Sounds very interesting.

Especially this tech:

It's going to be possible to shoot even the most-energy-consuming weapons, pretty much, nonstop.
    Great!

7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You talk as if rewriting core mechanics and progression trees are something that should happen AFTER release. >_> Because that's what's making this update take so bloody long

Serenity likes this.
  8. LazerusKI

yeah, but that was added a while ago ;)
    i was jsut covering the changes from yesterday to today (so 25.11 - 26.11)

not exactly, the tech, when activated, forces you to stand still. you activate it with the "up" key. dont know if you can still shot then, but i dont think so.
    also there is a similar tech that regenerates health, but i dont know when that was added.

EDIT: jsut tested the techs, and no, its not possible to regenerate while shooting ;)
    As soon as you make another input, the regeneration interrupts

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  9. sansy

sansy Big Damn Hero

Ooh sweet :V
    Now my little Novakid can fire freely without worry of having to run from some savage monster defenseless and out of energy!
    Eh, I do hope they balance the restore rate though, unless it's already good! Hah!

10. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

Isn't it better to finish the game before selling it as a finished product?

Exxil3d, Izzabelle and Lintton like this.
  11. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i think the regen is for health not energy

also forgot to say that YOU CAN USE MORE THEN 1 TECH AT A TIME
    (the downside is now you can olny use 3 insted of 4) BUT STILL

someone didnt read what early access was :)

12. LazerusKI

there are both, healthregen and energyregen

Serenity likes this.
  13. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

[
    oh i was just looking at the files

how do you unlock them ingame? with ship upgrades? cus when i use shipT3-8 i dont get any
    and the misson isnt finshed so i cant get the stone to finsh it =p

14. LazerusKI

exactly. as tiy mentioned, the AI will upgrade them for you.
    So i think the tier3-8 items are jsut for the ship size, not for the ai-computer, and for that he said, you would need a quest.
    I have not found them so far, i have just modified my ship-files to unlock all techs at T1

15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

oh could you upload the mod? or tell me how to do so myself?

16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Sounds fun. Too bad I'm too lazy to switch back to nightlies.

17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Oh dag, I like. Having to switch from Butterfly Boost (personal fave mode of quick-transport) to Rail Rider was kind of a minor but notable pain in the butt while transporting things on my compound.

18. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

So I've not played with a lot of the Techs, but I'm wondering... what happens if you try and equip both Butterfly and Bubble Boost? It only recognizes one of them, I'm assuming? Or how about multiple Techs triggered by the "F" key?

20. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Techs are slotted by body part (head, body, legs, suit) so there aren't any conflicts.