Nov 19th - Sep 8th???

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the items currently work to where you throw them and they have to be on the ground. Like I couldn't pick up the bowling ball after I threw it until it came to a full stop last night.

2. Chippy

Chippy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I want to see an American football with the paper plane mechanics. I never have been into the associated game, but an American childhood pasttime is going outside and tossing a football to each other.

3. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Funny, the video embeded in the update shows Kyren catching the beach ball up in midair. But there were a slight delay, like she had to "use" the ball in order to collect it.

If that's how it works, it would make that dodgeball idea even better, by having a risk/reward of trying to catch the ball right before it hits you, for a chance of a devastating quick counterattack.

Kawa likes this.
  4. quatermass

quatermass Aquatic Astronaut

Ok no one seems to see this because they are all so impressed by the beach ball and paper plane so here we go...

Really you forgot to update.....!?
    Do the devs even read what we post in here?

"Yeah we like a living community that gives us idéas and stuff"
    Ok, we would like an update, thank you"

"Crickets chirping in the distance"

Why even post in your forums, it's not like we havent asked for an update in a while, ok.

MutatedAlien likes this.
  5. CAB The Floran

CAB The Floran Yeah, You!

i love this game, funny gif :rofl:

6. Miranda

Miranda Orbital Explorer

Oof, so many people in this thread don't seem to understand that the beachball/paper airplane isn't there for vanity, but to showcase new developments in their physics runtime. This isn't just some cosmetic item, this is an underlying featureset of the engine.

Oy gevalt... In many ways, the whole open game development movement has revealed to me how many people are clueless about the entire process. You'd think that would stave off presumptuous attitudes, but I guess there's a Dunning-Kruger effect involved.

7. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

Kyren has done quite a lot of stuff. And things.

Yep.

Kawa likes this.
  8. RenaldiForumStar

RenaldiForumStar Big Damn Hero

Quater, what part of "showcase innovative code-work with proof-of-concept items" do you not get? And have you even checked the dev blog for the past few months? There's been TONS of new stuff in the works, and we are almost ready for another stable.

Darklight and Kawa like this.
  9. Miranda

Miranda Orbital Explorer

Sorry if I was a tad abrasive with that post. It needed to be said regardless, but now that I've slept on it I could have rather toned it down. =P

10. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

They're always updating the nightlies and are constantly working towards stable builds. It is the community's fault on this end, in that many didn't like the fact they kept having to wipe their characters every few months because of new releases. But anyone can opt in to the nightly builds and see the frequent updates.
    Hell, @Kawa here in the forums basically puts a changelog in every one of these threads so people can see the new items and stuff.

But to claim there's no updates whatsoever is just dishonest. There's no STABLE updates. But again, that's thanks to the community. Nightly is for those who wanted frequent updates.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

12. lemonfed

lemonfed Void-Bound Voyager

I kind of like the Idea of having a beachball in the game even if it's just to mess around with some friends. xD

13. MutatedAlien

MutatedAlien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even if they do take a short amount of time the chuckle-fish team should try to highlight the BIGGER things. I understand that they don't what to give away the surprise, but I think they should show us how hard we know they are working. The Team's reputation is already shot on Steam, and no matter what they do now everyone will remember the eight month gap they left us to fend for ourselves. I have argued for Starbound on several occasions, but I think they should cut their long term plans short and just release a stable update. The nightlies are not picking up the slack, the people who are less confident in starbound's development team (which there are a lot of) are going to stain its reputation, and no one whats to see that happen.

Nimeni likes this.
  14. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think its fair to expect every update to show something earth-shattering. They have been showing plenty of updates showing vital pieces of improvement, why is it wrong to take a moment to show something fun?

BloodyFingers, EldrickTobin and Kawa like this.
  15. MutatedAlien

Its not that people are clueless (except maybe the guy who asked if they had run out of things to put in the game) they just what a stable update. I know this shows the improvement to the physics, but the people that are complaining don't want physics, they want a couple new bosses & random events. I doubt it took them the number of months since the last update to better the physic engine, they worked on other things first, and they what what they worked on before this. I think the devs (although this might not be true) think that the nightlies are quenching everyone thirst, so they have time to implement a lot of really big awesome stuff.

They seem to have forgotten this was a beta, and with a beta you cant work on the game like you would a game that got released complete. They need to fix some problems and put out an update with the half finished awesome stuff they have been working on. You cant blame people for wanting to play a game they payed for. The dev team needs to be better at talking to the community, and tell us their plan. These updates every few days aren't telling us about the most important things.[DOUBLEPOST=1417036213][/DOUBLEPOST]
    There is nothing wrong with it, what is wrong is that they are not communicating well enough with the community. Everyone would enjoy posts like this if they knew what the devs plan was. I know they don't what to have deadlines or be restricted, but I think everyone feels a bit left out. Every once in a while we get these glimpses into a game we really what to play, and when those glimpses don't explain, outright, why we don't get to play it now people can get a bit... anoyed

Nimeni likes this.
  16. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

The more open a dev is about what they are doing, the more people complain they are not being open enough. We have a phenomenally high amount of information being given to us. The only other game I've followed (and I've followed quite a few ) through development which even came close was minecraft, and that was still sparse as to specific plans and mainly revolved around the updates. The games that do list schedules inevitably get ridiculed for not meeting them, and suffer more damage from trying to give estimates than they would have from being quiet.

EldrickTobin and Kawa like this.
  17. MutatedAlien

The problem with the information they are giving us is that they give us just the right amount so that we to want more, and that is a great marketing plan, or whatever you can call it, but it falls apart when we cant get more. They tease us with this information and they seem not to intend to let us try it anytime soon (beside the nigtlies which don't count because they are... not friendly to everyone) I definitely agree with the schedule being bad in the long run, but the dev team needs to talk about this.

The lack of an update is the most controversial and popular thing to talk about, and the devs/community managers are just glossing over it like nothing. At least I haven't heard any one of them say anything that should give me hope for an update that is less than a year away. A simple "we are trying to get this vague but awesome thing done before we release the update, and we are like 50% done, so just hang in there" Them saying something like this would help all around, so I don't understand why they don't!!! (unless they think the nigtlies are a substitute for updates, which they are not)

Nimeni likes this.
  18. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

They HAVE talked about it. Repeatedly. It's not a marketing plan... it's just the state of development at this point.

"We're doing major overhauls of pretty much everything, so the next stable will be a while." <- is the gist I got from actually listening to them.

Tamorr and Kawa like this.
  19. Colaymorak

Colaymorak Big Damn Hero

That's what I've been hearing. Everything from UI overhauls to combat to status conditions to quests and progression. From the looks of it the early game was a "proof of concept" kind of deal, showing off some of the cool stuff like world generation. Now they're taking the old game, overhauling much of the original stuff so it works better while adding a bunch of new stuff.

Tamorr and Kawa like this.
  20. MutatedAlien

were did they say that?!