Children adopted or home grown

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mogg, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Mogg

Mogg Pangalactic Porcupine

Just thought an added factor to family play is to have the option to raise children who grow up over time, help out around the farm and leave the town when they get old enough.
    Would be great to incorporate a mail system where your grown up children who live far away would randomly send you letters, ask for help (monetary form) or provide you with small gifts possibly remembering your birthday/wedding or just writing to say hi on their birthday.

Of course there would need to be a limit on the number of children you could have at any one time (adult and child). A mechanic to balance might be to add a possible death of an adult child once you have too many over a threshold with corresponding letters to let you know of their tragic end (which could be humorous or serious).

On the note of letters, there might a chance to reply (a set of reply options) to respond to a question or such and have short conversations through letters.

Just an idea like many others.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I like that.

I know you can adopt and have your own biological children, so this would just be a cool expansion, nice!

• Mogg

Yeah this idea came somewhat from Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (gamecube), and Animal Crossing (DS). Just so you know where the idea originated from. I loved those aspects, it added something more to the game even though they were autonomous messages/responses. The 'death' mechanic was just a random thought since I don't think your character actually dies in Stardew Valley, thus infinite children and steadily larger amount of info that the game would require to store. It's also so you aren't limited to only having 'X' number of children ever, which would be a shame if a player really enjoyed the whole -raising a child- portion of the game.
        If there was a perma death mechanic in Stardew Valley, an idea (which others have used in their games) is to make the adult son/daughter the player character, thus raising a family is important to continue existing in the world. But then a some people may get turned off with the game since it no longer is just a casual creative experience. I personally don't mind the 'offspring taking over the business' concept.

• Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been thinking about a related subject, but it didn't seem prudent to start a new thread for it. Keeping in time with the feel that Stardew Valley seems to be going for, perhaps your children could be actually delivered by a stork. Just a thought.

Mogg likes this.
          • DarciTheFox

DarciTheFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would really like the option of playing two different ways, the first would be normal with aging frozen, the next would be called "Legacy" Or "Generational" gameplay and would allow for you to create a family, for them to age and die and then when your founder's die, you choose the new heir and the siblings move away or you can keep the ones you choose to stay and help out on the farm or whatever, the rest move out and then you start the new generation of your legacy. It would be even more awesome if the town aged and progressed along with the family, but that's a lot.

Also, I would like for there to be a family tree viewable somewhere in game that keeps track of the lineage.

Wulf_Oman and Mogg like this.
            • Mogg

That would be pretty sweet.

• TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

Reminds me of a certain Minecraft mod. You're able to get kids and if you die on hardcore mode you'll continue with your child as your character.

It doesn't seem that the Stardew Valley characters will age, but it'd be nice.

• jessiebean

jessiebean 2.7182818284590...

LOL, home grown, makes me think of raising your carrot child in the garden. It would be amazing if kids age past the obligatory toddler/child stages like in most HM games!

The | Suit likes this.
                  • jessicasmith

jessicasmith Space Hobo

If there was a perma death mechanic in Stardew Valley, an idea (which others have used in their games) is to make the adult son/daughter the player character, thus raising a family is important to continue existing in the world.