Let's get Wiki - Basic Discussion

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Katzeus, Dec 14, 2013.

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

yup.

Like what are all the syntax codes available for this wiki.
    Since the only a few are represented on the quick code bar

and the mediawiki page doesn't document everything

edit:
    This link would be really useful in the OP
    http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting
    =
    But I am talking about more special functions which aren't documented here

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Added to the OP. I'll prob try to integrate that into the wiki itself down the road.

3. The | Suit

Thanks -
    I was just looking through your wiki profile and seeing how you implemented spoiler tags and other nick naks. And I was just thinking to my self. What other functions were added along the line which are not documented that's all

4. The | Suit

5. gedelgo

gedelgo Aquatic Astronaut

The Icon Link template needs to be changed slightly. ZinnLav added a bit of code that's interacting weirdly. You can see it on the crops page.
    Merging the two <noinclude> sections should fix it.

6. Katzeus

Oops, yeah that needs fixin'. I'll tackle it when I'm at my computer in a bit, thanks gedelgo!

EDIT: Fix'd

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. ZinnLav

ZinnLav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah sorry about that.
    I added that code to most of the template pages let me know if any other issues occur with any other templates.
    (The code in question adds templates to the category templates page)

8. RGBx01

RGBx01 Master Chief

I think it would be a good idea to use version namespaces like the Dwarf Fortress Wiki does it. For an example, look at the Dwarf page on that wiki and pay attention to the green box at the top. The page is actually called "DF2012: Dwarf" internally, "DF2012" being the latest version.
    All articles that might change between versions use an ArticleVersion template, which automatically shows if a page is for the current version, adds links to older versions of the article and prefixes wiki links inside an article to point to the same version (for example [[metal]] in the source of the page becomes a link to DF2012:Metal when viewing the DF2012: Dwarf page, and becomes v0.31:Metal when viewing v0.31: Dwarf).

This would likely be a lot of work at first (in my opinion worth it in the long run though), so if there is any interest to do something similar for the Starbound wiki, I could start a Projects page for it.

[edit] added spaces between : and D so it doesn't get auto-converted to a smiley...

9. _Defender_

_Defender_ Master Chief

@Katzeus

Are there plans to set up different language editions of Starbounder?
    For example a german-language edition under a subdomain like de.starbounder.org.

10. Katzeus

I like the idea, the biggest drawback to me seems that the namespaces make the page names messy. It also seems a bit redundant since every revision of an article has a 'snapshot' in the page history tab built into mediawiki, so I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort to compartmentalize it with namespaces. Also, I think site links would always be referencing outdated content unless they copied the redirect page.

I'm open to it, but there'd be some setup involved. I think the real challenge would be finding people who speak the language to both translate and patrol edits.

_Defender_ likes this.
  11. RGBx01

RGBx01 Master Chief

A site link like http://starbounder.org/Ships would still always point to the latest version, since [[Ships]] is automatically #REDIRECT [[latestVersion:Ships]]. But I agree that this versioning system is probably not needed, and definitely not a priority, I just wanted to put it out there.

On an unrelated note, I almost finished a draft for an article about "__merge", currently living on my talk page, but I'm not sure what the best title for the finished article would be. I considered Modding:__merge and Modding:Merge, but I don't know if there are any conventions about it or anything, so I did not create the article yet.
    I would like to help clean up the info about modding on the wiki, and most importantly structure it better and add more documentation, but I keep stumbling about small issues like "should I format file names italic, or bold, or not emphasize them at all", "how should I format placeholders that the user is expected to replace with his real values" and so on, is there a page listing some conventions like that? If not, I can make one.

12. Katzeus

Modding:Merge will be better, underscores are read as spaces in a lot of wiki markup and it'll be cleaner without. Article looks good!

There aren't any pages about those types of conventions available. If you're interested in starting into section formatting for the modding section of the wiki I'd suggest bringing up with the ##starbound-modding channel on IRC, you'll find the members who wrote most of the modding documentation there so that would be a good place to discuss it.

13. swagnumsdaboSS

swagnumsdaboSS Void-Bound Voyager

you cant delete a character yet because its not a game feature but if u download starcheat you can

14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Not sure if this was asked yet, but what projects or wikis are looking for members to help out? How does one get started contributing?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  15. Katzeus

Hi, sorry I missed this post!

The best way to help the wiki right now is by checking pages for accuracy. Use the nightly build as your reference point since it's the most current version of the game. If things are out of date, or there are just spelling errors, missing punctuation etc it needs cleaning up.

Here's a few pages that outline cleanup projects on the wiki. Let me know if you have any questions!! When we get the upcoming stable update they'll be plenty to do on the site!!!

16. Seevil jr

Seevil jr Space Hobo

Who knows how i can get an oil? Without it i cant to do steel bars. Help please.

17. Kiena

Kiena Void-Bound Voyager

A few questions...

For the icons of objects, do people take screenshots in-game, or is there a way to get the icon from the data files?

I'd really like to work on updating some of the biome data, but I understand some people manage to again, pull data from the files to find out some of the info (like which main biomes mini-biomes can spawn in). Any guides/posts out there explaining how to do that?

And a very specific question - for the biomes, you have an 'Items tied to this biome' section. However, for some of the biomes, it includes both blueprints and the objects you make from the blue prints. (See Eyepatch for example.) Do those items ever actually show up in the chests, or are they added for another reason? I'm still really new to the game, and I haven't seen any of those physical items in the chests, but I don't want to discount the possibility. :) But I'd really like to update as much info about blueprints and chests as possible. If the actual items don't actually show up in the biome, does it really make sense to have them on the lists?

Edit: And another question, just came up - British or US spellings? For instance, I thought there wasn't a Colorful Mini-Biome page - turns out it was under Colourful. Are there official spellings somewhere?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  18. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Wiki Discussion isn't the place to ask about this. I'd suggest you post in FAQ.

Dunto likes this.
  19. Nathaniel Hallé

Nathaniel Hallé Aquatic Astronaut

20. Katzeus

Thanks, fix'd up