1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

ERROR in action number 1 of Create Event for object oInit: DoDiv :: Divide by zero at gml_Object_o

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kahrkunne, Oct 31, 2014.

1. kahrkunne

kahrkunne Space Hobo

Running a Linux install, when I try to runt he program it just crashes with the error in the title.
    Very much disappointed, 8 euros down the drain. Starbound works fine for me too so I expected this to work as well.

• Stickman1

Stickman1 Phantasmal Quasar

I was having the exact same error with my old PC ages ago.
      I tried everything but it seems it's something with the PC not the game since it worked well on my laptop and new PC.
      Could you try running it with Wine (If that's possible) ?
      PS: Starbound and RoR have 2 completely different engines.

• kahrkunne

kahrkunne Space Hobo

Running it through WINE seems to crash it when keyboard input is given.
        Just blaming it on the PC is not a solution. It's said to work on Linux, but it doesn't (at least not for me, and I match the system requirements)

• Stickman1

Stickman1 Phantasmal Quasar

Hmmm ok.
          That's true, but it's really hard to test a game for every setup and possibilities, especially on such young versions.
          All I can say is try the standard stuff: Verify Game, re-install.

• kahrkunne

kahrkunne Space Hobo

Haven't updated in a while, guess I'll update it a bit now:
            I managed to fix the issue by unplugging one of my monitors. Yes, even turning it off with xrandr didn't work, I had to physically unplug it. Before that I managed to get positive results by going to Risk of Rain's folder and running the excecutable file in there (not the shell script, the actual excecutable. I believe it was called "runner" or something. Modifying the shell script to no longer use the library also worked), but this stopped working after a while.
            After this, I have found multiple crashes, but I did not record the error given by any of them (sorry! I might have if I could actually copy-paste from the error window!)
            What I remember
            * One error that I was not able to recreate, but occured multiple times at random was one that tried to access index -10 in some array
            * When playing multiplayer, when my friend used Loader (I believe it was that guy anyways) as a character, it'd crash after a few seconds when trying to draw something at an y-coord of -2147.... (you know, -2^31)
            * I crashed like two times when playing multiplayer on the level before the last, I do not recall the error message. This might be a duplicate of the first one, but I don't think it is.
            I wasn't able to recreate any of these in singleplayer, but I do not have Loader unlocked so I could not test that one
            Now, I played singleplayer once, and ran into the last, but most important crash:
            * killing Providence (thus finishing the game) and then using the teleport item appears to start a cutscene of some sort, then promptly crashes the game, discarding any progress made (including unlocks and achievements)
            In fact, all of these crashes resulted in any and all progress being discarded, but this one was the worst: it caused me to miss not one, not two, but three character unlocks: HAN-D, Sniper and Loader. In game, it said that I got an achievement for beating Providence, but none shows up in my Steam list. Interestingly enough, the achievement for finding the robot mechanic (or butler or whatever) is there, yet HAN-D is not unlocked.

You should be able to see why I'm pissed - although I like the game, I've so far found 5 different things that crash the game and discard all progress (although one of them might be a duplicate).
            I've already given you the output of the first crash (the one that was cured by unplugging a monitor). I can also recreate the Loader one if asked, and I'll from now on run Steam from a terminal and record crash number 2 (with the monitor one being the first) and crash number 4 when I encounter them. You can't expect me to recreate the last one, because it took me 52:18 to finish the game, and recreating the bug means doing all that again, then making the game crash again so that all progress will be discarded yet again.

EDIT: Also, do you even use try/catch in your code? Because I have no idea why you're doing zero devisions, accessing negative indices in arrays, and drawing things at y=-2^31 and how it's not getting caught by some kind of exception handling.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
            • warxy

warxy Phantasmal Quasar

GM:S's GML does not have exception handling built into the language itself, so all exceptions thrown at run time is fatal.
              Running any game on Linux is always a higher risk of things not working, and support is more scarce.
              More information on your hardware spec plus the specific error messages that you get for crashes with errors will always help.
              Personally I think you may be running out of luck here :p