1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaky Houses

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by meirelle, Oct 25, 2014.

1. meirelle

meirelle Aquatic Astronaut

It rains a lot on my home planet. And when it rains, it usually pours. When it storms like that, the water gets all drippy and gathers in pools. It also has this nasty habit of un-placing any fire-based light source that's around. Which is fine. Whatever. Except that when it rains that hard, it drips into my house and un-places all my freakin' fireplaces and lanterns and cooking pots and candles. I doubled up on the wall thickness, and I made sure rain couldn't leak through the door. Unfortunately, when the top of my house is off-screen, the game thinks it's open air, and it pours on everything. :/ Anyone else having this problem?

Derfpace likes this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Its a known bug that has been around for ages.
    It will probably only be fixed when building \ structure identification code is started.

Akado, Uzkniso, Skarn and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Only thing I can suggest here is, well, creating gaps in the floor to channel down all the water.

Serenity likes this.
  4. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

they way I got around it was by building on a planet without any rain (mine has fog)

Uzkniso and Serenity like this.
  5. 321tking

321tking Void-Bound Voyager

Good thing it's just rain my home planet has dirt storms that cover the side of my house.

Serenity likes this.
  6. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

I remember giving up on my first base because of this bug. I tried to make a little community but the rain kept un-placing all my light sources, so I tried to turn it into a greenhouse, but the 'roof' was too high and rain magically teleported inside. QQ

7. meirelle

Yeah, I'm searching for a substitute home planet now.

8. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Is this from the nightlies? I haven't seen weather effects of this intensity in the stable last i played it. Sounds awesome. Except for the flooding house. I hope they get around to that before release.

9. rhomboid

When mine leaked, I wasn't on the Nightly build.

10. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Ran into this too. Along with the much cooler glitch of water blocks that hovered in the air near my house.

11. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh, one thing to look at, because I had this issue, is did you build a background as well as foreground walls>? I have not had this issue since I learned how to place background blocks, so it might be the way the game handles 'buildings'. Prebuilt ones dont seem to leak either, and they all appear to have have backgrounds as well.

12. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the problem is caused by is cause by the way the game handles off screen chunks, it removes them
    because there are no longer walls of any kind there the rain comes through

13. Severite

That is what I was commenting about/asking about. I had this bug, but wtopped playing for a while. Was sitting there, and looked up how to build the background kinda randomly, opened up starbound, and tried it. Now my extremely tall tree growing rooms no longer let in rain, also, birds don't randomly spawn into them either, which was an annoyance. So, I thought it had tomdo with building backgrounds. Am I incorrect?

Will Liferider likes this.
  14. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

I had the same experience. OP, Do you have background walls in your house?

15. TheEverlastingBoss

TheEverlastingBoss Void-Bound Voyager

Guys do you realize that you can just put down lots of drains right? :whoop:

16. Severite

Yes, I realize, however, while I had a system which included a straight shot to the core to deal with water accumulation, the one thing it doesnt help with is if the rain itself is poisonous, and you dont want to encounter it at all.

Edit: also, its nice having a properly built house, I dunno, just feels proper when you dont poisonous rain pouring in :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    rhomboid likes this.
  17. rhomboid

lol it's the little things in life, like not having poisonous rain pouring into your house.

Harlander likes this.
  18. meirelle

Nope, not from nightlies.
    Nope, my house does indeed have walls.
    Yes, this.
    I HAVE WALLS, OKAY???
    [​IMG]

19. DarithD

DarithD Pangalactic Porcupine

Gravel storm is more terrifying :gooby:

20. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

Yes this issue has existed since day one and it definitely needs to be corrected prior to release of 1.0. The way the game handles terrain outside the screen is the culprit, so some form of logic must be developed to let the game know if rain should be able to reach a certain area regardless of if the area above is actively loaded or not. As it is, it's a nuisance indeed.

I am a big fan of the heavy rain and how it pools, however. I love weather effects that have some kind of physical effect on the world. I would like to see snow gathering on the ground during heavy snowfall as well.

rhomboid likes this.