The Commanders' Call

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Commander Benny, Sep 27, 2014.

?

do you like the prospect of this thread?

1. Absolutely

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. not at all

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I'm neutral on the matter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. could use some changes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. can you use normal freaking language? you sound like shakespear.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Commander Benny

Commander Benny Phantasmal Quasar

Friends, Starbounders, Wikimen (and women too.), lend me your ears! to those of you who have interacted with me before you would know that I value myself as a constructive critic, lover of creativity, and a man of discussion. So it is because of these things I have decided to begin a new thread. This is how it will work. A topic will be brought up, if it gets enough likes, it shall be our new topic for the week. If you are an aspiring writer, builder, or artist (of any of the known arts) on the forums you can also post links to your works here to get opinions as to how to make it better, or just a simple confidence boost. So come on and come all! It's time to show the world your utter brilliance! :proper:

2. Kitaen Silva

Kitaen Silva Phantasmal Quasar

OP could use a touch of additional clarification. I think I understand the jist of what you're intending here, but it could be worded in a way that doesn't leave other users asking questions like:

Am I supposed to post my art / excerpts / previews / concepts / etc. here so that you can critique them?

and

Do you mind if I also critique things presented in this thread, or are you restricting that to curb potential chaos?

Edit: This thread could [potentially] be better placed in the Off Topic category. Otherwise, you're limiting your critique options to Starbound-specific art/writing/concepts. For now, it's probably fine where it is, though.

3. Commander Benny

Commander Benny Phantasmal Quasar

1: yeah in retrospect I think I'm trying too hard. just figured a flashy vocabulary might interest more people than saying "this is an opinion thread."
    2: well no, you'd post the links so we can go to the page and read (/see/listen to) them, then give opinions on them here. but you probably meant that.
    3: everyone can critique! who'd want a thread where all you do is have ONE guy give his opinion?
    and finally, 4: congrats on being the first poster. :party:

4. Kitaen Silva

Kitaen Silva Phantasmal Quasar

1: "Flashy vocabulary" isn't a bad thing by any means, nor is trying hard - effort is always good when the intent is pure. Especially when you consider that there is a disappointing lack of effort in literature as applied to online social environments. Your post was interesting enough to attract at least one person to the point that they posted a reply in your thread, and as such you can consider yourself as having acquired some amount of success in this regard.

2: I personally knew that links are preferred over direct embed - that follows the general rule of thumb for most boards; it was more an example question than a request for clarity. Things like this are useful to include in the OP so that interested users know for sure how they should request critique here.

3: This was a legitimate question for clarity - now I know that requesting critique here is effectively requesting critique of the whole community instead of just the thread owner. I personally would like a thread where a single person gives their opinion to anyone who comes asking for it, because I can always make a thread of my own requesting the critique of everyone in the community at once - and that also makes the concept of this thread a little redundant otherwise. If you limit it by suggesting that this is your "Ask me for critique" thread, it puts a damper on a lot of potential chaos, which is a good thing. In short - if I want critique from all of Starbound, I'll make a thread that exhibits the work in question and let the free-for-all begin, but if I am looking for critique from one specific person whom proclaims to be good at it, I would look for an "ask me for critique" thread. Despite what it seems, that is a desirable thread type.

4: Woo~! Can't complain about firsties, I guess - though it seems strange that both of my posts here are effectively just me critiquing a critique thread. x ux;

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator