Modding Help Since I don't really see any sort of basic mod installation instructions...

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by kaffekane, Sep 22, 2014.

1. kaffekane

kaffekane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd like to ask if there can ever be an ACTUAL guide presented, and not just this headache-inducing technobabble when all I want to do is just plunk a mod and go.

I tried putting in Gyruss' Modpack, thinking that it would be that simple--since those are the instructions that he gave. It crashed Starbound instead. So now I have to gold-sift through all this crap and find out which mods are conflicting with each other so bad that STARBOUND ITSELF SAYS NO-FREAKING-U AND DOESN'T EVEN LET ME GET STARTED WITH WRAPPING MY HEAD AROUND IT.

Of course, I could also try following the guide to turn them all into "*.modpak" format and then use a mod manager in its place and HOPEFULLY not have the same problem...but I just want to know if there is at least ONE acutal consice guide that starts with THE DAMN BABY STEPS FIRST.

2. All you do is drop the mods into the /mods/ folder. I do not understand what is so hard about moving one folder to another...

Please give us the instructions you followed, or at the very least a link to the modpack you are using.

3. kaffekane

To Install
    Modpack:
    Extract all the folders within the .zip into the "mods" folder. Dassit.
    Mods that are disabled: Extract folders within the DISABLED folder to the other mods.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/gyrruss-modpack.1986/

The messed up thing is: Yes, I can grok instructions like these. What I don't seem to get is why the modpack is causing Starbound to crash. I have my original post about this mess in the discussion thread for the modpack already.

4. Did you check the log?

5. kaffekane

Where would I look for that?

6. kaffekane

Okay....so the logs are mainly this type of error....from the "Fixing most problems yourself" guide.

+===
    Error: VariantException: Variant not a list of size 2 in variantToVec2F
    When doing merge you forgot to overwrite an item with a bracket [ ]
    +===

Except this is what the logs have.

==== Log 1 ====

Error: Exception raised during Root finishInitialization: VariantException: Variant not a list of size 4 in variantToVec4B
    variantToVec4B(Variant)
    LiquidsDatabase::load()
    Root::reload()
    _Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication::preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)
    ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)
    BaseThreadInitThunk
    RtlInitializeExceptionChain

Info: Shutting down Star::Root
    Error: StarException: An error occurred during loading: VariantException: Variant not a list of size 4 in variantToVec4B
    variantToVec4B(Variant)
    LiquidsDatabase::load()
    Root::reload()
    _Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication::preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)
    ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)
    BaseThreadInitThunk

ClientApplication::postSplashInitialization()
    ClientApplication::update()
    StarApplicationBase::run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

==== Log 2 ====

Error: Exception raised during Root finishInitialization: VariantException: Variant not a list of size 4 in variantToVec4B
    008427F2 starbound_opengl.exe
    0068C370 starbound_opengl.exe
    00501269 starbound_opengl.exe
    00404B1C starbound_opengl.exe
    009A71BC starbound_opengl.exe
    BaseThreadInitThunk

Info: Shutting down Star::Root
    Error: StarException: An error occurred during loading: VariantException: Variant not a list of size 4 in variantToVec4B
    008427F2 starbound_opengl.exe
    0068C370 starbound_opengl.exe
    00501269 starbound_opengl.exe
    00404B1C starbound_opengl.exe
    009A71BC starbound_opengl.exe
    BaseThreadInitThunk

00404F8D starbound_opengl.exe
    00406CF7 starbound_opengl.exe
    0040A504 starbound_opengl.exe
    00408194 starbound_opengl.exe
    004ED821 starbound_opengl.exe

==== Log 3 ====

Same contents as Log 2, not boilerplating it.

==== Log 4 === This one used "*.modpak"s that were installed using Starbound Mod Manager 2.0.2, and no folders in the /mods directory: game started without any other problems, so it left me scratching my head in disgust.

Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for chestplant1, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for barvent, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for wreckvent, using default

==== Log 5 ====

Same contents as Log 1, not boilerplating it.

========================

So. So...apparently this modpack has some faulty code, but I don't even know where to begin looking.

7. No. Totally different error. Its a size 4 instead of a size 2.

You switched to the Nightly branch didn't you? If so, the mod pack will not work as they use a different merging format known as the new Patch system. The only fix is to use the Stable branch. It will not work on nightly, and the modpack you gave me states this very clearly on the top of the page.

8. kaffekane

Uh...no I didn't. I bought this game on Steam months ago, and unless it's doing that without my knowledge, then I've got another reason to be pissed off...

EDIT: Also forgot. I don't know how to access the nightly branch. So as far as I know, I have never touched it.

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I think the issue is the other way around.
    The modpak it self might be an earlier version of nightly - prepatch.

10. Then take it up with the mod author. Its related to a mod that adds in a liquid as it is failing in the liquid database. The fact that it is expecting a size 4 list leads me to believe it is a Patch command being parsed incorrectly -likely due to it being a merge command instead.

Without installing this mod for myself (Which I cant do at the moment), there is no way for me to see what is going on personally.[DOUBLEPOST=1411397359][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That could certainly be the case as well. Not really able to tell either, as the Modpack creator is the one who knows which ones are on the nighly branch and which ones arent. If there is _Merge mixed with Patch commands.... well things wont go so smooth if thats the case.

The | Suit likes this.
  11. kaffekane

Well, guess I just have to sift through all the mods one by one to find the faulty mod, then. There's no other solution to the problem, since this is a mod pack, and only one of the mods in it is made by the author of the pack. I also said earlier that I posted my complaint about it in the discussion of the modpack, and while I'm kind of waiting on a reply, I'm not sure if they'll be on anytime soon.

EDIT: I've posted a link on the mod pack discussion thread that leads to this thread, so he can find my logs.