No walking on Skyrails (so we can use them decoratively as well)

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by James Mason, Aug 5, 2014.

1. James Mason

James Mason Tentacle Wrangler

I'm trying to build a suspension bridge, and there's nothing in the game that looks like cabling except skyrails, but sadly, i can't have my rails running into the ground because they work like platforms, and you start running up them as soon as you hit them. I feel they wouldn't lose any intended functionality if you couldn't walk on them, while gaining the ability to have a decorative function.
    [​IMG]

2. Endelerius

Endelerius Twenty-three is number one

I'm all for it.
    The more decorative blocks there are, the better.
    Creativity shall reward it.

3. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

Also, even platforms still need an overhaul, IMO, because it's tedious to try to stay on the same level you're on. Pressing "Walking right" shouldn't result in walking up stairs. I'm still waiting for stairs to work in a way that involves pressing "up" to walk up and "down" to walk down. Seems so logical.

Not being able to walk on Skyrails makes sense regardless, though.

4. James Mason

James Mason Tentacle Wrangler

The only problem with that is you run into some Dark Castle levels of annoyance with trying to simply get up a flight of stairs:

5. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

I like the idea of them not being able to walk on them!great idea. makes more sense.

6. Ichy42

Ichy42 Void-Bound Voyager

I am absolutely 100% in favor of rails not having the platform property. Imagine this: You spend hours, days even, building this cool base or funpark or whatever your fancy is and getting around is dependent on the rail system. You know, because they're there and they're fun and interesting and different. Then some dude strolls in, hops up onto one and walks everywhere circumventing a major feature of your build. Good for him, he figured out a shortcut, but man it's frustrating. As it were I am currently re-structuring my rail system to make it more trouble than it's worth to get up onto them but try making THAT look aesthetically appealing... grrrr....

Helix1111 likes this.
  7. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

its true, the worst part of this is how easily your creations that u spend hours on being destroyed by griefers with cheap mod items

8. Ichy42

Ichy42 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not so sure that I'd go as far as saying people walking on my rails would be griefing unless they were dragging a drill behind them tearing the rails down as they go ;). It's more of a slap in the face, really, that someone would bypass all the work done to make your creation functional. Granted, anyone with any boost tech is just going to whip past them no matter how you build unless they have a bizarre fetish for the rail system in the first place or you make the rails so bloody long that nobody wants to ride them anyway.

With regards to griefers, since it's been brought up, I also think that anything placed in your ship world should be indestructable to all but the owner and the fact that it isn't happens to be the primary reason I have never joined a multiplayer game. Both my ship (derp) and my multicultural asteroid base (with rails :p) are heavily modded and located in my ship world. I built the ship to be moderately spacious yet functional and I'm currently building the base large scale for a certain measure of personal satisfaction but also to show off a bit... only now I can't see myself in a multiplayer game since at any point every structures could be destroyed, items stolen, etc. I don't use creative or any other such fast progression mods so it's not just the structures that took time but also gathering and processing all the materials (a little over 12,000 asteroid blocks just for the foundation, you say...)

Anyhow, staying on topic, non-platform rails just makes total sense. How many people have you heard of who walk a zipline like a tightrope instead of grabbing the handles and going for a ride?