1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

If I have the game for PC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kannonballs, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Kannonballs

Kannonballs Yeah, You!

When it comes out for PS3, will i have to re-buy it?

• Coolfeather2

Coolfeather2 Void-Bound Voyager

most likely yes, can't spare a few $ for game devs?

• themacho1

themacho1 Orbital Explorer

I was just about to ask the same thing. I hope it's cross buy/cross play. I'd buy it again if I could but I can't spare the money. It's also just the fact that I already own the actual game. I shouldn't have to pay $10 more to be able to play on another platform.

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

You bought the game for PC, there's no reason you should get it for a different system without buying it again.

• themacho1

themacho1 Orbital Explorer

I bought the content for $10. The platform it came on was pc. If more platforms are available and I've already bought the content why not be allowed to play it on different devices?

• Active Link

That's like saying if you buy Skyrim on PC you should also get the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Skyrim. You bought the game for PC, it would be an incredible act of abnormal generosity (and a terrible business choice) if Hopoo decided to give everyone who bought the PC version the console version as well.

downshock likes this.
              • J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

It's kind of amazing how you took literally the same point but changed the game to Skyrim, as if it makes a bigger point.

There's a lot more to it than just having purchased the game, considering publisher fees for multiple platforms they would be making less money just to provide you the game even on one platform.
                However with the alternative they can now make multiple purchases from the same person who enjoys the content enough to support the developers if they so want to.

• Coolfeather2

Coolfeather2 Void-Bound Voyager

LOL

Also Its pretty much impossible to do this

• Active Link

Which game doesn't matter, Skyrim was just the first multi-platform game I thought of at the time. You've completely ignored the point I was making.

• J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

No I didn't, I made my actual point underneath the next quote box in which I kind of agree with what you said.
                      I gave actual reasoning as well.

• sradac

sradac Orbital Explorer

Well they could instead go the route that Edmund McMillen is doing and giving a big discount to people who already own Binding of Isaac on the price of Rebirth. That way you still make money, but you keep your current fanbase happy because you know they are loyal and sure you cant give it for FREE, you can at least cut them some slack and say "Hey, thanks for believing in us. Thanks for being there this entire time. To show you our generosity, you'll get a coupon code or something."

I think the worst part about the situation is, Edmund & team are building a new game from scratch and giving people who own the old isaac a discount. Risk of Rain isnt being rebuilt or built from scratch, its just being ported and people are shooting down OP as if he is asking about some kind of insanity. I think it would be insanity to not have some kind of discount for people who own the original game.

Hopefully this isnt just a project trying to make money. I can understand the skyrim argument, Skyrim is a multi-million dollar AAA game meant to sell, sell more, and then sell even more. Indie games are meant to be loved, built by gamers for gamers. If you make some money in the process, cool, if not, oh well.

• Youkaibuster

Youkaibuster Starship Captain

Well, PSN has the wonderful feature of cross-platform buying, where you (most of the times) can play a purchased game on any Sony platform. But I just think it makes sense that you need to purchase it again on a different system. Not from the devs, but from Sony, Microsoft etc. that make money too from the game.

Or I'm just too used to having to pay for something again for a different platform :\

• downshock

downshock Void-Bound Voyager

If anything, I think a forum badge would be a bit more reasonable vs applying a discount to a $10 game.

When you put effort into making something more often then not you're going to want something out of it. And I don't think these people are really "shooting him down" per say, they're trying to reason with the guy and show him that the idea of making it free is really unheard of when it comes to games. Indie or not. Come now, the game is only $10 on PC. I would understand if it were a $29.99 game or even a $19.99 game, but it's not like $10 is really hurting anyone's pockets.

Gonna refer to what I said earlier, when you make something you're gonna want something out of it. Devs have to eat too.