1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Launcher doesn't fit screen - can't start game

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Flutterwonder, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flutterwonder

Flutterwonder Big Damn Hero

I know this was mentioned once in the suggestions thread by someone else, but I can't play Starbound on my Acer laptop because the launcher extends far off screen. Even scrolled all the way down and with the taskbar hidden I can't reach the start button. I've attached an image of what does fit on my screen.

Attached Files:

2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Best Answer
    You can create a shortcut that bypasses the launcher and starts Starbound directly. You'll need to create a shortcut to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe

Maxwell Demonic likes this.
  3. Flutterwonder

Flutterwonder Big Damn Hero

Thank you for your response, I tried what you said, but it always freezes on a black screen as soon as the window opens. Eventually I got an error saying "GraphicsException: Could not create the Direct3d device: Creation call was invalid.
    StarApplicationBase::innerGraphicsCreate()
    StarApplicationBase::graphicsCreate()
    StarApplicationBase::run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main"

Another thing to look into I guess.

Edit: Looked into this glitch and tried updating DirectX to 9.0. That didn't help, so tried running OpenGL version. It froze on a white screen then gave the error "GraphicsEXception: OpenGL 2.0 not available!" Beginning to think my laptop just can't run this game.

double edit: Graphics driver is already up to date, so basically I'm stuck until I can get a graphics card.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  4. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Yeah, sounds like the video car or integrated video on that laptop can't run it. Since you've already tried running the OpenGL version and updating your graphics drivers, you're pretty much stuck until you can upgrade your system, like you said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.