1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should starbounds world be more "Racist"?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by warcore, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Sorry, you are right. I thought it was a rhetorical question. The answer is clearly B.

Nobody in their right mind would stop playing a game because there isn't enough (or too little) racism. Maybe some cossacks or KKK

Is that a satisfactory answer? The lack of compelling narrative and old stable build definitely are a negative in this game, but I don't feel the need to reference it in this thread (oops I just did!). it's not relevant to the topic.

I would say I am reasonably critical of this game, and your points are valid regarding the content. It's just you make a poor point and weak justification for your earlier opinion that you would stop playing the game if the lore was expanded to cover the different races and their interaction with other species.

2. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

I would honestly like to see more "racism" in Starbound. It would give a little more of an edge to the universe.
    There are rules that have been established by lore. Not following those rules is lazy. One such rule is that Florans hate Hylotl and vice versa. I don't like that my Hylotl can walk through a Floran village completely safely. I don't like that my Floran can trade with Hylotl merchants with no issue. There needs to me more flow to the game.

------------------------------------------------

And also, by the way, no fighting guys. I'm gonna start handing out warnings like nobody's business if I see any fighting from this point on.

TO CLARIFY. "Discussing" and "fighting" are two different things. Contrasting opinions are fine. Offering means to an end, having a mature discussion about different points of view, all perfectly fine.
    Calling someone names is NOT fine. Attacking someone's opinion (or being a jerk while defending your opinion) is NOT fine.
    Use common sense and be nice to eachother, okay? This is a great topic that can easily go awry, so let's make sure it doesn't.
    Let's all get along, okay? =)

3. Just05010

Just05010 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Lol that sounds like a teacher "okay everyone, let's get along" lol :)

4. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Tough one.

I don't think the issue is about making Starbound more racist, it was terrible wording to be sure.
    The question is how do we reflect the existing discriminations in balance with the game, without making it the underlining identity of the races and while maintaining the freedoms of the players.

I agree that racism doesn't need to be a central theme of Starbound, the lazy man's war machine of creating exclusive races with singular identities and motive is over done in sci-fi. I do however think it can be equally reflected with careful delivery along with the other aspects explored in the game such as religion, fanaticism, totalitarianism, war and peace, morality of science etc. The delivery is key.

I like that as I Hylotl I don't have to hate Florans and can enter a Floran village and mingle with the inhabitants. I think limiting my access to the villages based on what ever issue would be a lazy and dumb idea. But I can also understand that the odd NPC having more negative dialogue responses would be interesting and wouldn't have to be centred on just issues of race.

Will Liferider, Akado and Pyre like this.
  5. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Love the idea, it would definitely add to the immersion. Right now the lore seems tacked on, it has no real effect on the game. I think it should.

Since all the planets are randomly genned as you enter perhaps they could change it up on a per-planet basis, for example, on one planet perhaps humans are at odds with the novakids because the humans want to "rebuild" but the novakids keep raiding them (some bandit group).

On another planet, perhaps there is an all out war going on. Between the glitch and the florans.

You see what I am getting at?

This would also make the planets feel even more unique.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    MilkCalf and Akado like this.
  6. Casmyr

Casmyr Big Damn Hero

I think that instead of Racism, Disparity works as a better word. Yes, looking at -any- setting with different races, creates near immediate tension. A smaller, physically inferior race would see a strong warlike race as brutish or as bullies. The request for more distancing between races is curious, but used often. Humans are huge targets for 'typically' being rather self important and seeing other races as weird, and by our natural relation tend to side with that opinion. In Starbound we have quite a bit of disparity, not quite full on racism. Unless you are Hylotl, then you see other races talk down at you for what I can only assume other Hylotl being...deserving of the negative opinion.

It is implied that Hylotl Floran relations are slowly mending while there still being bad blood between them. Either side could have committed atrocities to the other in acts of war.

Humans are a Race without a home, Titan A.E. watchers would note that Humans without a home go a little crazy also tending to appear heavily outnumbered and threatened.

I've heard (read) that the Floran and Glitch have a friendly relationship as a species which I'm curious about.

All n all, I think that such Disparities are caused by time, and fixed by such as well. We can guess the Humans are recently homeless, but other races I get the idea have been out and about meeting each other to have regular contact and gather opinions about them. I'd wager that in a general sense, after a while even seeming weird they are realizing that even if a being is a part of a race they can still be different, or individual from the group 'style'. The lore says Hylotl are pacifist, but I doubt many players are as well as a well known adventuring Hylotl. There are Glitch Bounty Hunters, Floran philosophers, Avian Pirates, and Apex rebels. Sure, seeing 'racism' or disparity could be more emphasized between the races, but maybe time has fixed that out in the stars.

MilkCalf, Will Liferider and TrueEdge like this.
  7. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree. Try to imagine yourself walking into a town where everyone is nice and friendly. It reminds me of "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin, that's creepy.

SeaMichelle and Starbug like this.
  8. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

glitch dont really have anything against anyone, and they are the only race floran cant eat, so the floran actually got to know the glitch other then "tasty"

9. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

To be fair, "nice and friendly" is typical in Canada. But I understand what you mean. =P

10. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

There is already the mechanic that causes NPCs to attack if you walk around town with your weapon drawn. I'd like to see that extended to stealing, since you can pretty much rob a town blind (including the buildings) without NPCs doing squat.

Not for all towns mind you, but perhaps in towns that would naturally be more belligerent towards the PC due to the racial tension alluded to in the game's lore. Florans, I think, would be especially testy about outsiders being in town.

11. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I actually disagree. Now, don't think I mean that every single town of a race would attack you for being of a different race. Rather, I think that it would be interesting if
    some towns were more primitive than others, like, say a Floran town with nothing but huts and primitive buildings would be more likely to attack you on sight playing as
    a Hylotl, then say a regular Floran town (in which obviously they wouldn't. The old Floran town would have more rooted and strong opinions of the Hylotl.
    I personally think that it could create some diversity and show more of what is happening in the Starbound universe politically and so forth.

>Realistic Starbound
    Sorry, I win.

12. locustgate

locustgate Big Damn Hero

THEY ARE XENOS THATS ALL THE REASON!!!!!!!!!!

Burn the heretic, Kill the mutant, Purge the xeno!

Yeah no offense but I'm NOT ok with the fact that people just let florans wander around like it is a small fluffy bunny.

13. LethalShade

Death to the false Emperor, Blood for the Blood God, SAP FOR THE SAP GOD, DESTROY THE FLORANS, KILL MAIM BURN!!!

(Sorry, Warp overtaking me, stuff like that)

But yeah, It's strange when you're free to wander in Hylotls cities as a Floran.

Casmyr likes this.
  14. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

Wait, Hylotl cities exist? Did they just get added in to nightly recently, or am I massively out of date?

EDIT: Damn. I was excited then.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  15. LethalShade

Euh, invert Floran and Hylotls in my post ^^'

16. Just05010

Just05010 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually, I just figured out that the glitches are kinda racist against Avians :rofl:
    [​IMG]

17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I think better then using the word racist would be - "Social Stereotype"
    Which would essentially give each race its own personality - likes and dislikes as an overall generalization of character behavior.
    Though it has been done slightly - but I agree it could be done a bit more.

18. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Great suggestion, I'd personally love this for more realistic gameplay.

19. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Floran dislike racism. Floran prefer to eats than talks.

rhomboid likes this.
  20. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

As far as people saying it would add realism... Can you really apply realism to a game you can make a gigantic floating structure that has no support actually holding it up, on a planet with obviously high gravity? To me, wanting to add 'realism' to a game that is already ridiculously UNREALISTIC seems to break things more than it would fix. And as far as racism goes... I think they already have racism as it is. I tend to get insulted by npcs as a human, and I also tend to get praised. Even avians, where lorewise speaking love humans, some of them insult me.X3 Adding more however? I don't know. it doesn't feel necessary. And as far as adding in innate actual NPC hostility where they attack you? Doesn't that kind of go against the whole... 'races are mostly cosmetic' thing that the developers said would be in the game? I hated the whole 'your race determines who is hostile to you' stuff in some of the MMOs I played. Especially if I wanted to play as 'x' race but I liked 'y' race allies.

TrueEdge likes this.