1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Looking for assistance in Server Wrappers/Admin Control

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Roy1589, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Roy1589

Roy1589 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello there! Perhaps someone could help with this issue I'm having. I did a little scrounging first, enough to know that I should probably be looking into a Server Wrapper, however I then run into the issue of how to work one, that's running from a dedicated host.

Lemme explain further. I'm a basic server owner, just purchased one yesterday in fact, so starting out with this in mind, I want to already get my server protected, and able to be administrated. After all, there are already a few servers in the public server listing that have admins, spawn protection, ect., ect. So I was hopping to get something similar. Then I hit a roadblock. I realized almost all the "Admin" related stuff was not a Mod, but rather it was a wrapper. Not really something I have experience, at least owning a few other servers before.

And so this is where my major issue comes in. These wrappers from what I understand are executibles that instead run a modified server. I would assume similar in fashion to a SpoutCraft server in Minecraft, but none the less. So how exactly would I install something like this on a dedicated server.

I currently have a 20 slot through gameservers (mostly because it was a bit cheaper than Multiplay). And the only other access I have to my server is access to FTP and Server Configuration files.

I guess in a since, would I have to resolve this with my server host? Is there a alternative to a wrapper, that's more like a mod, that I have not seen yet? Or simply, "It's beta, wait til a newer update and whitelist for now as best as you can."

Thanks in advance,
    ~Roy

Apologies if there are any other similar postings,
    I searched "Server Wrappers," "Admin," "Administration tools," and a few others, which yielded no results, So again sorry if it's already answered, and this is redundant.

2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

If you are paying a game hosting company for your server, you will not be able to run any 3rd party applications on it, including a wrapper. You'll need to look into buying a VPS or a dedicated server in order to use a wrapper. If you're starting out a server for the first time, you should also set up a password or user accounts to limit access to your server since there are a ton of griefers out there. If you purchased your game server recently, look into the company's refund policy, you may be able to get your money back so that you can apply it to a regular VPS or dedicated server.

3. Roy1589

It's how I kind of thought then. I'd rather not go the route of a full dedicated server, as most from hosting company get pretty spendy compared to just the individual game server. For example, gameserver's dedicated run around 170$ a month rather than the messily 25 for an individual game.

If that's the only route to currently work with, I probably wouldn't have quite the funds to go that route. I have currently at least password protected the server. I'm unsure I guess on the user account's. I will have to read more on them, as I even notice when going on multiplayer, that there is that option when connecting. Is there a better reference on how to setup the Usernames/Password? Because for now I just have a password set in the config, line "serverPasswords": ["_______"],

4. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Hosting does not have to be that expensive for the same or similar hardware, you just need to shop around a bit. Price can vary depending on how many people you intend to support initially as well, there are several VPS providers that charge per month and a select few don't care about your cpu usage. If you want some specifics, PM me and I can help you get going.

As for the accounts, use the accesscontrol.config (in your universe folder), edit it like so:
    {
    "accounts" : {
    "USERNAME1" : { "password" : "PASSWORD1" },
    "USERNAME2" : { "password" : "PASSWORD2" },
    "USERNAME3" : { "password" : "PASSWORD3" }
    },
    "bannedAccountNames" : [ ],
    "bannedAddresses" : [ ],
    "bannedPlayerNames" : [ ]
    }

5. Roy1589

Isn't there some way of requiring a user to register upon logging in to the server? Or is it strictly using the accesscontrol config, and manually assigning username's and passes?

6. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Without a wrapper or using some kind of web registration system that updates the accesscontrol.config for you, you'll have to do it manually.

7. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

There are several tools that allow for registration via web, most need to be worked out a bit. The only problem with website based registration, or creating accounts at all, is that the accounts only become available after the server is rebooted, otherwise the new accounts "don't exist". This issue and the lack of a real game database is what has discouraged me from developing my CMS further.

If you are still interested on a system like that, here's my CMS, you could also just search on this forum for older tools, they work just as good, I just had another thing in mind.

Then again, if you are paying a hosting company for slots, you are probably not going to be able to run a website, and my tools (and I think just about every tool out there) need to be run on the same machine as the server, otherwise it just doesn't work or you have to do a lot of extra work for it to barely work.

Good luck!

8. Roy1589

Yeah thanks for the help the both of yeah. I think I will be heading to a VPS route instead. I got a friend to help narrow down a hosting company that looks promising and cheap. I'll consider the CMS, thanks for the offer! I suppose this would be technically case closed for me at this point.

danks_ likes this.
  9. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

Happy to hear that, good luck!

Roy1589 likes this.
  10. Roy1589

Thanks for the luck. Today is the day to test-er out!