Notice >REQUEST ART HERE<

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Mr. Mystery, Apr 7, 2012.

?

Is this thread a good idea?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2012.
  1. Yep!

100.0%
  2. Nope!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheGamingChocobro

TheGamingChocobro Void-Bound Voyager

Well, i suppose i should cancel my request.. noone seems to want to draw.. thats ok.. im sure i can find someone

2. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

If anyone can draw this, I'd like a heroic, almost humanoid binturong. Half-human, half-binturong basically. Thanks in advance. It must have a full Link costume with the sword. ;)

3. Wharrrrrrgarbl

Wharrrrrrgarbl Starship Captain

Seems to me like people respond much better to requests for silly pictures.

Burgy and Hawk Novablast like this.
  4. TheGamingChocobro

Yeah.. I can see that.. looks like I have to go via steam to get art

5. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, you'd get better luck posting on art shops for requests.

6. Burgy

Burgy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Iunno, drawing Starbound specific character's isn't my forte
    So I stray from that and look for something that peeks my interest like a character from a show I watch or something like that.

7. TheGamingChocobro

even though this is a Starbound Art Request page? im confused

8. Burgy

In the off topic section

pigrocket likes this.
  9. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

No one is really obliged to do anything. People just come here when they're bored and draw things.

Blitzlegion and pigrocket like this.
  10. In the early days of this thread I tried to catch every request that went by. Even thought my art was sub-par, people seemed happy to get something.
    Those were the worst days of my life.
    Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. Drawing indiscriminately is good practice. But it's not very fun. There aren't interesting requests on this thread anymore, to be real.

Frankly, if an artist can draw a satisfyingly complete and detailed image for free, then they're underselling themselves. Even if all you're requesting is a simple bust or a logo, don't expect anything special when you're not paying a dime.

Damn, all this indirect aggression makes me feel like a teenage facebooker.

11. TheGamingChocobro

i know.. the problem is, I am wary of scams.. Lately, Someone made a deal to draw a different picture for me, and he forgot to mention payment in the Agreement, so when he asked, i simply said, We didnt agree to payment, he was upset and he understood.. but what really got me.. is he asked for $5.. less was better

12. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

If pictures cost less than $5 then all artists would be dead. I know $5 seems much for a simple picture but it's actually not enough. Art is pretty underrated, I can't believe how people think that they can charge so little for commercial work. Commissions is a little different but you still need to keep in mind that it takes hours of work and years of experience to do it.

PositivAndroid, Blitzlegion and Burgy like this.
  13. I've heard lots of stories like this. Scams where people lose hundreds of dollars, or even a well-known corporation scams an artist with some vague "internship" bullshit. Deviantart's commission market is usually reliable (although I'd never invest in DA coins myself). And the furries at fur affinity are such nice people you virtually never have problems there. Someone on FA might actually draw your Avali for free.
    The dissonance is usually "well, I'm getting practice for drawing this, at least." It aways seems like artists are either underselling themselves far below minimum wage, or they're overselling themselves and making an easy living all the same.

ImmortalFrog likes this.
  14. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I was more referring to real companies like book publishers. That's why I said that commissions are a little different but yeah if it takes longer than 2 hours I'd pay more than just 5 bucks. Freelance drawing is a hard job and I'd like to support anyone who decides to be one because they are really interested in art or etc. That is after I actually get a job.

15. Burgy

The whole reason my commissions are so cheap ^^^^
    It really sucks.
    People will not hire me to draw for them otherwise.

But I mostly just do it as a hobby right now, because I have a job. But the extra few dollars is reassuring some times.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  16. [​IMG] **

17. Wharrrrrrgarbl

Wharrrrrrgarbl Starship Captain

Gonna be honest here, a huge turnoff around here is this sense that people are entitled to have someone draw their tedious nonsense. Yeah, it's the request thread, but what you're really requesting is usually an hour or two of my life. If anyone noticed the ~3 month period where I didn't post anything, that's because I was working 10-14 hours a day. I want to be clear that it's not you in particular - you've just come along at a point where some of these thoughts are crystallizing - but scrolling through page after page after page of "please draw my character he is a really cool guy with blue hair" gets kinda grating.

It's not like I have a right to demand a particular response or type of request from people, either, but for me the alternative is to stop paying attention to this thread. I'd prefer to think that we can all work together toward a more amusing future.

18. BroScale

BroScale Subatomic Cosmonaut

anyone willing to do this handsome robotic killing machine? i dont need to explain the area/emotion/nothing the picture talks for itself [​IMG]

19. Blitzlegion

Blitzlegion Big Damn Hero

Just drew and modded my own jet-pack and starbound face. I'm often cross-eyed and had fun making the jet-pack.
    Enjoy Christopher the Starbounder!!
    [​IMG]

20. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

That facial expression needs to be in the game.