1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Beginner Pixel Artists Thread!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Cell, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Lost in Nowhere

Lost in Nowhere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Earlier today, I made this wonderful eye:
    The Eye.png
    It's quite a bit larger than the sizes that I usually work with, but I generally like how it turned out. Any suggestions?

2. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

Try and avoid pillowshading. It looks flat, it needs depth. Perhaps something along the lines of this edit:
    The Eye.png
    More colors could serve you well.

AstroBlast likes this.
  3. bezhaha

bezhaha Space Hobo

Hello, im newcomer here. Second day of pixeling, looking 4 some helpful tutorials. And here my first 20mins work.
    1st.png

Shock and ImmortalFrog like this.
  4. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

1st.png

Made it transparent+bigger for the convenience of others. Sorry bout the shine though, it was the same colour as the background.

Shock likes this.
  5. WolfSiri

WolfSiri Master Chief

[​IMG]
    So I decided to make a sprite for the first time. Some basic bat-like monster I made up, take a look!

YeBittenDog and Evangelion like this.
  6. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

Simplicity is good. No errors really in the spriting, I guess you could make the parts in shadow not black so it's not such a harsh darkness. Next thing to work on is fixing up that animation; make it smoother and more things moving :up:

7. Lost in Nowhere

Lost in Nowhere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A bunch of various magical items that I have made over the last while:
    fire-wand.png ice-wand.png tree-wand.png water-wand.png lightning-wand.png psychic-wand.png light-wand.png dark-wand.png

8. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Wow!! I'm really impressed, I've tried too much to make human sprites... I can't. This is amazing! The arm movement is perfect and the only thing I can recommend is a transparent background.

9. Not really, I think it looks a little ragdoll-y.

10. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

He's maaagiiic!

11. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Pretty cool sprite! Maybe make the darker legs in the back, a little less dark, but I like it a lot. Looks like it's breathing heavily!

12. polmty

polmty Orbital Explorer

The bat-like being looks more like a big cat, don't you agree?

13. CaptainMadoc

CaptainMadoc Phantasmal Quasar

gunstravaganza_handguns_WIP7B.png

A small taste of something.

14. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

[​IMG]

Was that supposed to look like a Nargacuga?
    It's cool.
    When a bat, a cougar, a porcupine, and a samurai sword have an orgy, this happens.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  15. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Cougars and samurai swords are responsible for half the monsters in that game.

MoonyJello likes this.
  16. Pixel_Warlock

Pixel_Warlock Void-Bound Voyager

W
    what is this!??!?!?!?!
    sorry, just looks super pimpin.

17. Pixel_Warlock

Pixel_Warlock Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, guys. I am a beginner pixel artist, but i know circles and cubes, and the reeeeeally basic stuff. I would love some critique on my stuff. (Just a heart BTW, not anything special.

Attached Files:

18. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Ok... lets begin this cruel game!
    [​IMG]
    First, add some shading to it.
    Heart-bmp.jpg
    Then we apply shine...
    Heart-bmp.jpg
    Then some hue shift. This means that instead of getting brighter and darker red, we merge with its neighboring colors. The dark become more purple and the light become more orange!
    Heart-bmp.jpg
    Lets trash those black outlines for a dark, purple shade, and turn the white background to transparent.
    Heart-bmp.png
    Your 2 color heart is now 7 colors, and no longer looks so flat.

19. That critique looks strangely similar to this post and the two posts after.

20. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

It does. In fact, it was based off those posts.

AstroBlast likes this.