automatic turrets

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by stakeout, Jun 24, 2013.

1. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

I think that having something to defend your home with other then yourself would be pretty nice...(even if that home is made of dirt:DD) ___ADDED___ Sum people may not like this,(like most things) Because of worrying about players becoming lazy, not true if they are able to build something like this your not lazy you just enjoy using sum thing not controlled by you. In a game like this there should be tons of ways to do things and i just think this would be worthy thing to add to the game. If you don't like using things like these then don't and stick with your favorite ways of doing things.MOVE THAT GEAR UP
    EDIT: Here are sum ideas on how they would be used in game.
    - Use a generator to create power for the turrets.
    - In even more in depth thing would to make it so there would be batteries and you would use the generator to slowly charge them and each time a turret fired the energy level would decrease. A percentage would be nice or a thing like 250/250 and have upgraded forms of batteries. Also have a certain number of outlets per battery.
    - Have something for ammo like putting ammo into it directly or having sum thing connected to them to feed them ammo.
    - Have energy based turrets or bullet type or maybe both.
    - Unable to fire at certain bosses for balancing issues or simply do zero damage to them.
    - I don't know how PVP well work on this game lets just say the server would need PVP enabled to fire at players.
    - Knock back maybe?
    - Have turrets and generators in abandoned randomly generated military bases and you could disrupt it to turn off all the defenses to get loot easier.
    Those are just sum ideas.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. mkv25

mkv25 Phantasmal Quasar

Level 1 turrets could fire... dirt :p

3. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

Another great use for dirt!!!;)

4. Maxkottchen

Maxkottchen Master Chief

The turrets in combination with security cameras would be a nice idea. When a enemy walks into the trigger ... BOOM ... eat dirt!:DD

5. nikey9

nikey9 Void-Bound Voyager

How about a tier 2 Turret that shoots extra dirty dirt from the dirty dirt-biome on the dirt planet dirtius? :3

6. Gandak

Gandak Aquatic Astronaut

i would like turrets that fire with every stuff u feed them with... like turret shooting turrets

7. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

That would not make much sense...(the barrel would be to small) but then again maybe there tech can expand the barrel to fit the ammunition size(on the fly). Anyway that's a good idea :up:

pikachu junior likes this.
  8. mkv25

mkv25 Phantasmal Quasar

Should I make a new suggestion thread for automatic block firing trebuchets?

nikey9 and stakeout like this.
  9. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

It can't hurt:DD

10. mkv25

mkv25 Phantasmal Quasar

http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/?p=view&id=7054

Cosmahawk and stakeout like this.
  11. SproutDog

SproutDog Void-Bound Voyager

You can incorporate a shrink/enlarge ray. So when you load it, the ammo shrinks. And then when you fire it, the ammo gets enlarged when it comes out of the barrel. You can shoot mechs if you want. You can shoot me if you want!

Starsly and stakeout like this.
  12. SproutDog

SproutDog Void-Bound Voyager

Starsly and stakeout like this.
  13. PurpleHamsta43

PurpleHamsta43 Star Wrangler

Defeats the purpose of fighting dont ya think?

14. Fast_Eddie_2

Fast_Eddie_2 Star Wrangler

I think some form of automated mechanisms will inevitabley make it into the game. But how much and what they will be like? Who knows. I personally like the idea of a dirt turret, even if it only does miniscule damage it will at least help beat invading monsters. In terms of balancing it, perhaps all automation would have to be connected to a power supply, which are fairly expensive, can only power so much, and take time to set up and connect together so you can't just plop turretts anywhere.

Axe Garian and stakeout like this.
  15. BluPixelz

BluPixelz Aquatic Astronaut

would these turrets work when you log out? say your on a multiplayer server, will it kill others and mbos for you while your offline? if so, it could be used for grinding

stakeout and nikey9 like this.
  16. Kiroto50

Kiroto50 Master Chief

I agree with you, The turrets would have Limited (and upgradeable) shoot speed/power, The max power depends on what it it shooting, And here are some things that would be cool on the turrets:

If you load it with any kind of dirt-based item, it will shoot like a shower.
    If you load it with any kind of stone-based item, it will shoot like a gun.
    If you load it with any kind of liquid, It could need an extra stone-based item, it shoots like a gun, But the bullet has liquid inside, if you don't load any stone based item, it will shoot like a shower.
    If you have enough tecnology, it can shoot automaticly (and even aim for different mobs), if not, You should use it manually.

Too muchs if's right?

Starsly, stakeout and PurpleHamsta43 like this.
  17. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

I disagree, if you don't want to use them then don't use them simple as that(if someone wants to fight using turrets why would you take that away from them?)... I think having a power supply would be nice too prevent turret spamming and they should not be able to attack bosses or players.

Fast_Eddie_2 likes this.
  18. PurpleHamsta43

But what if your fighting someone and they have 50 turrets... not fun at all

Fast_Eddie_2 likes this.
  19. Fast_Eddie_2

Fast_Eddie_2 Star Wrangler

That is why you make them have a power supply and connect it with wire.
    If they run at you and try to place a turret + generator + fuel in generator + wire connecting turret to generator, then you should have ample time to either run away (causing their turrett to be pretty useless) or attack them and cause them significant damage and even interupt their building proccess. This makes them a defensive only tool rather then an offensive tool.

20. PurpleHamsta43

But if your going in for a raid how are you going to get past their defenses? Under ground?