1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Starbounder! The Planet Project and Wiki

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Katzeus, May 16, 2013.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

[​IMG]

Hello fellow Starbounders!

I heard starting a Starbound wiki is the trendy thing to do....

In all seriousness, I'm sharing a wiki I've been building for a week or so. I'm the only contributor so far, I haven't even shared the link with my friends. I noticed a trend of the wikis that people have been posting, they're empty and don't have any content. I really wanted to build out a wiki with a bunch of content before sharing. I want the community to be a part of building this, but I felt it would be unfair to register a wiki address, post it here and say "door's open community, now fill up that wiki!!''

My goal with this site isn't exactly what the other wiki's are trying to do. I recognize that there are people with a lot more net cred and better URLs that are going to have the community spotlight. I have no intention of promoting this to be THE BEST SOURCE OF INFORMATION EVER or YEE-HAW, WE'RE GONNA BEAT HERO!! To show I'm not 'in it to win it' I'm happily showcasing other wiki links on my main page, there are a growing number out there, soon we'll have to build a wiki to manage all the wiki's ('yo dawg...I heard you like wikis') This wiki will have the basic structure that the others do, but I want to make a push to log planets...

THE PLANET PROJECT

I want to really put emphasis on making this wiki a source for planet info and coordinate sharing. I don't think there are any other sites that are taking this on as a focus, and I feel like it would be a great resource. The plan is to setup a searchable template for each planet so you can search by biome, difficulty level, resources and whatever other common characteristics planets will share among coordinates. I want this to be a great wiki, but the BEST planet wiki, that's the focus.

To be honest I started doing this at first for fun and wasn't going to share. I was afraid of the response sharing it here as I didn't want to heap 'another wiki on the pile' or step on the other wiki admins toes. I have no issue with any other community members (including HERO) and I hope they don't take offense that I've decided to make this. Before starting this I looked at every page of every Starbound wiki on the internet and determined that it would be easier for me to do my own thing then jump in and try to direct another persons vision for their wiki.

The link is http://starbounder.org

Check out the Help page for details on uploading items to the database.

Thanks for reading. I'll post back with a planet project update when we've worked out more details!

TLDR: I started a wiki, it's going to be planet centric. I welcome all.

Ghard0157, Shippo, Towwl and 17 others like this.
  2. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

Not a bad idea. Lots of parameters to list, like monsters found on each planet and biomes, all that. Also you will need a system to double check. Have reliable members double check seeds to be certain they are listed right. Sadly knowing the internet one troll can do the amount of damage that would take a few people hours of their time to verify. I've said this before, no one is more motivated than a motivated troll and they will bypass any security necessary. It sucks but it's the way of the world anymore.

3. Katzeus

True words, unfortunately the only way to make it troll-proof is to migrate the site to a piece of notebook paper ;)

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Zacharyne

Zacharyne Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds good. Would be a valuable resource to visit if you manage it.

IndieGamerRid, Katzeus and WoxandWarf like this.
  5. BetleJuice

BetleJuice Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is one of the better wikis that i've seen pop up on the forums lately.

Good work.

IndieGamerRid, Katzeus and WoxandWarf like this.
  6. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I checked it a little, looks good, keep up the good work! :up:

Katzeus likes this.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I think this is the fourth wiki, now. Still, it looks alright.

IndieGamerRid and Katzeus like this.
  8. Kiingy

Kiingy Phantasmal Quasar

Wikia is a horrible wiki host.
    Awhile ago the site wowwiki.com, which was World of Warcrafts main wiki eventually split after Wikia forced in its new skin. Wowwiki at the time was its largest and most popular site and they wouldn't allow the admins (who were fans of the game) any leeway.
    You can read about it here.
    The default skin is horrible and unappealing with ad space taking up most of the page. This is the default skin and cannot be changed, users who are not logged will only ever see it and they will be the majority of its visitors.

Do not use wikia.
    There are already two other popular Starbound wikis, here and here.

Instead of dividing off and creating your own wiki with a specific focus, wouldn't it be better to have a large wiki covering a range of topics rather than a bunch of smaller ones covering specific things? Kinda seems to go against the point of a wiki in the first place?

9. NickName

NickName Cosmic Narwhal

I thinks such quotes which are spoken without any mean or evil intention could be used from others to jerk around. Because trying to be the best is nice, trying the best is Perfect (there is a difference). (In case it lookes like this i don't want to offend you i hope you undersand what i ment).

Katzeus likes this.
  10. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

Good luck on your project.

Katzeus likes this.
  11. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

If you want to get away from wikia, I'd be happy to give you free webhosting so you can set up a mediawiki... If you get a domain you can point it to the server, otherwise I can give you a laerad.net subdomain. Let me know if you're interested.

Katzeus likes this.
  12. Katzeus

Thanks for the support!

As for hosting it off of wikia, I've definitely thought about it. I'm an experienced web developer, and could build a much nicer looking site. The thing that drew me to wikia was that it's easy for people to jump in and contribute to. If I host it somewhere else I think I'll be taking a lot of tools from the community that wikia offers. I'll have to take a look at how difficult it would be to build that all out.

Shippo likes this.
  13. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Or you can just copy all of the words unto a .txt file and save it to your computer.

Katzeus likes this.
  14. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I recommend you try to work with the other wikis and make one wiki that becomes more popular than heroes.

MoonyGekko likes this.
  15. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

I kinda wish the devs would make an official. Splintering like this is only going to lead to Hero fanboys promoting his ego trip wiki to the top.

I wish you gluck on it but really, we'll have another wiki in a day or so for monsters or something. :rofl:

IndieGamerRid, Thani and Serenity like this.
  16. WolfGang

WolfGang Phantasmal Quasar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Starbound universe randomly generated?

Unless chucklefish force all games to use the exact same seed for generation, then cataloguing planets is an entirely pointless task. Because no game would have identical planets or even identical co-ordinates.
    Meaning that you would have to have a wiki for each individual game.

--edit:--
    FROM THE ABOUT PAGE http://playstarbound.com/about/
    This hints that the in-game universe will always be the same.
    Providing that you are only sharing the co-ordinates and they are literally just co-ordinates, no extra info.
    So I'm not so sure.....

17. DrBob3002

DrBob3002 Big Damn Hero

If you just browse between different solar systems and the like it might be randomly generated but the whole point of coordinates is so that you can share them with other people so that they can get the same cool planet you found.

Katzeus likes this.
  18. Katzeus

I'm glad you brought that up! Actually it's not randomly generated it's procedurally generated, and that generation is tied to coordinates in space.

So, if I go to an ice planet and find a mountain of diamonds in my game, I can post coordinates and you can go to that very same planet. Even if we can catalog 10,000 planets (which I think would only be scratching the surface) it would be an awesome resource!

19. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Mediawiki is very developed already. It's the software wikipedia uses/develops.

20. WolfGang

WolfGang Phantasmal Quasar

The thing is that "procedurally generated" still doesnt mean that all the games are the same.
    Minecraft worlds are procedurally generated.
    However part of their generation procedure starts with a seed, That you can specify or is generated randomly.

So still, they will have to have the generation process use all the same base settings for every copy of the game.
    Personally I hope they do that but let you id you want, change the generation variables. So that you could have your own "unique" universe or you could use the starbound "official" universe.

Also, reread the end of my post I added some evidence to help the case that the planet project is a good idea :rofl:

-----------------------
    Side note

Please Please, do everythign you can to try and get away from wikia.
    Wikia is a horrible service.
    It looks bad.
    It works bad.
    It rapes your face with advertising.
    They are purely profiteering off of others work, exploiting people that don't know better or have nowhere else to go.
    Personally I don't know anything about the wow wiki stuff.
    But from my own experiences I can tell you that wikia is internet cancer.