1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ships in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Soga, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Soga

Soga Void-Bound Voyager

How are those supposed to work? If I'm playing with friends on my server, do my friends only have access to my ship, or do they bring their ships into my game?

Also, I'm curious how space combat is supposed to work. As I understand it currently, if you warp to your ship, you can walk around in your ship or jump to a different moon/planet/system/etc. So how would I get to see or board other ships?

Any light that could be shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

Every player gets their own ship. Ship to ship battles will come post-launch. Awaiting confirmation on whether ships (like the stations were supposed to be) are grief-proof or not or if they are safe zones from PvP.

3. Lyrael

Lyrael Sandwich Man

Everyone will have their own ship, and you can invite other people on the server who are nearby to come on board as well.

Space combat is, decidedly, a post-release feature. Tiy's said a few times that he wants it in the game, but he doesn't want to delay release to get the system in. Hope that helps!

Dawgenstien, WilsonTheBall and Jonesy like this.
  4. Soga

Soga Void-Bound Voyager

Ah, thanks! That clears that up.

I'm also assuming you will be able to trade warp coordinates with your buddies.

5. kesvalk

kesvalk Cosmic Narwhal

it will probably be like monster hunter's houses, you need to get invited to a friend ship to enter it.

space combat will be added post-release.

6. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Yes. If you discover something cool in your game, you can share the coordinates with a friend and (almost always) it will result in the same planet/location being found.

7. darethen

darethen Big Damn Hero

very nice i love PvP and that will be awesome to see ships vs. ships!!! its gonna be epic :mwahaha:

8. Soga

Soga Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks, everybody!

9. felipecrivelatti

felipecrivelatti Void-Bound Voyager

LOL can't w8 to see ships vs. ships!!! Maybe there will be upgrades to them? :rainbow:

10. Mega Man X

Mega Man X Industrial Terraformer

There are ship to ship battles? Wow, never knew that.

Strongbuns likes this.
  11. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Not in the base game. This is a feature they are considering adding post-launch.

hirakhos likes this.
  12. IAmTheRad

IAmTheRad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just hope when they put in PvP that it's not mandatory at all. If you want to join a server so you can explore with other people and not be subject to being shot at and murdered by other players I'll be fine with that.

13. Salmon

Salmon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What would be really cool is exploring on a planet and then getting a warning that your ship is under attack or enemies are nearby. Especially if there are like space pirates or something of the sort that roam around space

14. Lyrael

Lyrael Sandwich Man

PvP is in on day one of Beta, as far as I understand. But it's not at all mandatory; far from it it. You can very specifically prohibit it on your server if you wish to.

15. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

I'm curious about how travelling is handled while multiple players are aboard one ship. Your ship would obviously need to follow you to the new planet, so you can't get stranded, but would it also consume fuel or perhaps it... borrows the other ship's warp jiggawhatever.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. Disciple Cain

Disciple Cain Subatomic Cosmonaut

Or just only allow people you know to be on your server. You know, so that you can 'accidentally' blow each other up.

17. ௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯

௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯ Cosmic Narwhal

Real life ship battles would not be dramatic. You shoot railgun in zero gravity at hull and battle over. Who shoot first wins.
    Would be more practical to sabotage ship and steal it, ship cost a lot of currency would be travesty to lose in battle even if enemy's.

18. Disciple Cain

Steal the ship and put it... where? On your other ship? Your other ship that is, by the way, exactly the same size as the ship you're stealing because they're a poor dope leaving their home planet just like you?

That sounds incredibly unfun and anticlimactic. Thank goodness Starbound isn't real life because that would be the lamest 'space battle' mechanics ever.

I'm pretty sure that the space ship battles will be a stark contrast to ground combat, which would provide a very interesting dynamic if that should also become part of the main game and not just PvP. How cool would it be to not only fight baddies on the ground but fight them in space as well? You could be, not just a badass survivor on your new home planet but, an ace pilot!

It'd immediately have my interest. Have no idea how they'd do it.

19. ௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯

௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯ Cosmic Narwhal

Sell it to space idiots for overprice.

20. Disciple Cain

How? You stole their ship but in order to steal their ship you have to be either driving it or hauling it, and with a ship that size I'm betting it would not be outfitted with a tractor beam. It's just a dinky little shuttle.

Also here's another problem. 'Yes but I can teleport to my ship when I'm done'. The dope that owns that ship can teleport to his own as well, probably while you're in it, then shoot you before you have time to do anything. God forbid he teleport on top of you and annihilate your sorry ass.