Space Pirates - Friendly to Hostile, Merchants and Planets

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alluvian_Est-Endrati, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Do you want Space Pirates in Starbound?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    79.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Yes and I intend to play as one one way or another

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

Greetings all!

As it seems obvious that Space Pirates would exist in Starbound (and if that is not the case consider this a vote for that eventuality), I thought it would be worthwhile to share a rather comprehensive Space Pirate Plan that has come to mind. For in my minds eye, just dropping in Space Pirates as a random mob or attack event, would be doing poor service to the potential they could possess.

Pirate Races: In theory just about every race should be capable of becoming a Space Pirate. Likely even the cute Space Penguins and Cats piloting Robots (they would just need a pirate robot) would make perfectly acceptable entries to a Space Pirate crew. When Space Pirates are generated to be encountered, they should come from a mixture of different races, to reflect the old truth that just about any species can get along... when there is plunder to be had!

Space Pirate Planets: It is not inconceivable that some Space Pirates could take over a whole planet... or failing that at least take over a part of a planet to serve as a base of operation. I would suggest two general types of planetary Space Pirate locations; planets wholly 'owned' by Space Pirates and those planets that just happen to have a Space Pirate base or settlement upon them. For those familiar with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, these locations would be the equivalent of Tortuga or Singapore as seen in those films. Planet types should likely be something either generally habitable... or some dead world that the pirates would think would pass unnoticed.

Space Pirate Bars, Taverns & Merchants: What do Space Pirates do when not off raiding and acquiring plunder? Why drink, carouse and try to pawn off all of the loot they have gotten to unsuspecting dupes... err... valuable customers. Some Space Pirate locations should be visitable (in a non hostile fashion) allowing the player to try and purchase these black market goods, or to hang out ad chat with all kinds of strange pirates in a Pirate Bar.

Space Pirate Hostile Encounters: When encountered when out raiding (unless they are friendly for some reason) Space Pirates should spawn as an event in the planet or other area of choice. The difficulty level of these encounters should vary, but should generally consist of a number of fairly random generic 'trash' Space Pirates sent in to soften up the target, followed by a lieutenant or two and then the Space Pirate Captain.

Space Pirate Wandering Merchants: Off of a Pirate World, perhaps it should be possible to encounter the odd random Space Pirate Merchant, who is desperate to offload his goods for some reason. Perhaps these NPCs could even be recruited and brought back to a players homeworld, to serve as a source of illicit Pirate Booty... no not that kind!

Players as Space Pirates: I suspect that there will be plenty of players who will try this style of play in any event even if more comprehensive options are not included. However if a comprehensive Space Pirate addition is done (giving them their own architecture, costumes, aesthetics, etc.) then perhaps options should exist for the player to 'become' a Space Pirate, change their ship into a Pirate Ship, make some updates to their homeworld and so forth.

Space Pirate Captains need to be at least this Swanky
    [​IMG]

2. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

Heck yeah! how could you have a good sci-fi game without space pirates?. It would make the universe feel alot more alive. Support 100%

3. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

Tiy said somewhere (in the AMA I think) that the penguins are mischievous space pirates. However, I don't know how they will act.

4. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Cosmic Narwhal

Pirates are an absolute must. Who else would there be for bounty hunters and mercenaries to hunt and blow out of the sky?

I imagine they'd act rather... cold.

Strongbuns and Lawls like this.
  5. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

:iswydt:

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  6. r9310

r9310 Astral Cartographer

yes. :D i imagine many wonderful pirate themed items to get

7. Strongbuns

Strongbuns Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah this needs to be implemented. $1,000,000 stretch goal!

8. Gilgax

Gilgax Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is a great idea, theres cowboys, samurais, normal humans, medival types of caracthers, its missing pirates :DD

9. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

good idea

10. x6snake6x

x6snake6x Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pirate race sounds kinda cheesy. Space pirates that's cool, once they introduce the FTL like space battle system maybe they could even jump aboard your ship and you'd have to fight them :D

11. Raiden Firewing

Raiden Firewing Void-Bound Voyager

This picture, that are no Spacepirates, that are the servants of our holy emperor!
    But I agree, with your idea and the picture. I'd love to see them in such a depth in game... and eventually make a character myself just for joining the plundering hordes ;)