1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Hi guys,

A lot of people have been asking lately how we plan to support the game after release.
    So I wanted to fill you in on what my plans are.

I know that now, more than ever, people are buying into games as an ongoing service. Players want a game that will evolve, improve and provide new experiences post release. And to many that ongoing service justifies the price of admission.

So, to respond to that demand. The Starbound team will continue to update the game for a *long* time after release. Not only that, but we'll be putting together a second team that will exclusively handle weekly, small scale, content updates whilst the original dev team works on bigger, more involved updates.

Eventually the original dev team will be ready to move on to a new project, whatever that may be - sequal, new IP, etc. When that happens, the secondary team will become the primary update team and I will personally continue to oversee and work on all updates to the game.

I will ensure there is *always* a team in place to continue updating the game for as long as people are playing it.

All of this is on top of us opening the game up massively for players to create their own content, both in game and via modding.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns I can answer.

<3

2. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

This is a good business plan.

~ockpii

3. Coltain13

Coltain13 Star Wrangler

This sounds excellent.

4. Cobalt16

Cobalt16 Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh my god I love you.

Autumn_LeafFall, Bars, R4B97 and 14 others like this.
  5. Tux

Tux Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes! I have a question!
    Can you give us specs of the very old computer you tested Starbound on?

6. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

All of my love! This freaking rocks!

But a bit of concern, will updates Break mods? A big issue with Minecraft is that updates to the game Break any mods you have, so if it were possible to have it so that mods would not be broken per update (which would be weekly) then the game would be absolutely perfect.

Noisy, LukØs, Dinosocks and 2 others like this.
  7. Walter Sullivan

Walter Sullivan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome. What Red did to Terraria was kind of bad(and now instead of updating it on the PC he's gonna bring it to xbox and psn, blergh), so it's great to hear that you guys plan to continue supporting your game. You guys are awesome!

8. Handi

Handi Space Spelunker

sounds good

9. Rokas1

Rokas1 Master Chief

Sounds cool, bro

10. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

I'm curious how this second team will be chosen when the original team moves on. But I suppose that's a question best suited for further down the road.

And yes, I see small scale and weekly. But any plans for larger content updates? Say one time they do a large seasonal winter update or whatever? Think mission packs, but without the actual pricetag associated.

Perhaps an...Avian Uprising large mission pack. Or Danger Zone where the threat level on planets gets capped to 120 instead of 100, etc.

11. Tiy

The performance of the game is constantly changing atm, as we add new features that kill performance and then optimize them so it's nice and smooth again. So I don't want to give you any system requirements just yet.
    The game runs at >60fps on my entry level macbook air at the moment.

12. Maxim

Maxim Void-Bound Voyager

How about preorder?
    Not with special features...just make feeling that you already have starbound.

13. Tiy

We plan to implement a modding API that should make this a non issue :)

Saiya Darkfire, Bars, R4B97 and 20 others like this.
  14. Przemek32767

Przemek32767 Phantasmal Quasar

Now that's some good news. I hope you won't get bored with working on Starbound too soon. ;)

And here's my question: is there any ETA for preorders?

Pachydermus likes this.
  15. krawky398

krawky398 Ketchup Robot

Hm, this is an interesting plan. The weekly updates handled by a second team is a pretty neat concept I've seen no one else try before. And then the big updates by the original team... I like it! It'll stop the problem Terraria had with me wherein I play for a while, and stop completely until an update and play for two more days.

Stompopolos likes this.
  16. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

Thank you for this, I look forward to playing Starbound and seeing what you guys have in store for the future.

Dinosocks likes this.
  17. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Then this game shall be absolutely perfect! Couldn't ask for more in my opinion.

Dinosocks, YatsandYets, Flan and 2 others like this.
  18. ZaQen

ZaQen Master Chief

This is exactly what I've been missing for a long time. I'm hoping there won't be any small mechanic that grinds my gears =P Not that i'm overly picky but if by example the multiplayer aspect is lacking in some manner i might be discouraged.
    Also the Director's capabilities to build will greatly affect how i play this game. I'm just hoping that you won't limit the director way too much =P

Anyway, these are GREAT news and I'm just waiting for any sort of teaser and test of the gameplay ^_^

GalacticRooster likes this.
  19. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

That's great! I hope modding becomes a big thing like it is for Minecraft. I assume the game probably won't have texture packs?

20. Milo

Milo Void-Bound Voyager

That sounds awesome! Lol you guys seem like Mojang. Like the devs are Notch and the other team is like Jeb. You devs better not keep starting to make a game then start working on another game! #NotchJoke