1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] Advanced Wiring Guide

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SeaJay, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

I've been thinking about making a combination lock that uses serial input to enter the password (in this case, the binary form of the server's IP address), with an SWS indicating whether a 0 or 1 bit will be inserted, and a SWB shifting all bits to the right by one and inserting the bit indicated by the SWS at the leftmost bit. Would that be possible? I know that if it is, then most likely, the SWS would be linked to the input node of the input latch, and the button would be linked to the clock...but that's where I'm stumped.

I'm guessing each bit would be represented by a latch, the SWB would be linked to the clock node of each latch (including the input latch), and the output of each latch except the final would be linked to the input of the next latch, as well as to a light to indicate whether it's 0 or 1. However, with no kind of delay between each clock, I'm not sure whether or not that would simply cause every bit to be 0 or 1, or would actually shift the bits over.

EDIT: I got the data register working!
    [​IMG]
    Here, we have an SWS linked to the input of the first bit latch, and the output of each bit latch linking to the input of the next digit's bit latch. The switch is used to determine the input. The floor button is used to shift the bits to the left, and insert the data from the SWS into the rightmost bit, is first put through a pulse shortener, and the pulse is sent through a series of 3-tick delays, each linking to the clock of a bit latch, starting with the leftmost one (so that we don't just end up filling up the entire register with all 1s or all 0s).

To put this circuit to use, you flip the SWS up for a 1 bit, or down for a 0 bit, and then press the button. All bits will shift to the left, with the leftmost bit dropping off, and the new bit will be inserted on the right side.

EDIT: Further experimentation proved that the delay circuit is completely unnecessary--just connect the output of the pulse shortener circuit directly to the clock inputs of each latch! They will all update at the same time, and won't propogate all 1s or all 0s to every bit! This is also much more compact and less memory-intensive thanks to fewer wires!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. Dethon

Dethon Void-Bound Voyager

SWS don't work for me. I can toggle them manually, but they don't react to incoming pulses.

3. I hate to sound like a hypocrite but after all that talk about becoming a SB wiring guru I've yet to wire ANYTHING in game :(. I've been too busy progressing with my toons to do anything else. This guide is pretty awesome though, thanks for writing it up I'll be sure to use it when I get around to it :rofl:.

4. Nate McCloud

The reason it doesn't show up anymore is that, for some reason,
    Code:
    { "item" : "smallwallswitch" },
    is no longer in player.config. Adding that back in and re-using the upgrade chip that unlocks that tier of recipes will allow you to craft them once again.

5. sunnydan

sunnydan Intergalactic Tourist

SWS's input is not functioning for me.

6. Nate McCloud

This makes the wonder if that's the reason it was removed from the list of craftables--so it could be fixed before it was added back.

7. Kick_04

Kick_04 Tentacle Wrangler

Thanks for the guide on SWS... I just started building my high security USCM moon base. But I was able to get the entrance I wanted. I have it wired so that when I hit the button outside the base (or the pressure sensor inside), the glitch trapdoors will close for about 4 seconds (just barely enough time to run across)

[​IMG]

8. hainsay

hainsay Tentacle Wrangler

Is there a way to make a pulse extend longer than "-> (NOT and AND in feedback) -> NOT ->" does without using an SWS (since SWS's probably aren't working and certainly aren't craftable at the moment). Looking to extend out to about 3 seconds instead of about 1.5

9. hainsay

hainsay Tentacle Wrangler

Ooh I had a flash of inspiration and found one. I'll edit this to post it in a few minutes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily it's exactly 4 seconds :p. Don't ask me how it works.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. Captn

Captn Orbital Explorer

Hey, thanks for the guide. I've only just completed my first character(getting to tier 10), and I've started to get into the building aspect of the game. Now I know how to wire traps and locks in to my bases. This is going to be fuuuun >:]

11. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Arise, thread!

I'm just posting to let you know that this guide has recently gotten an overhaul:
    • Replaced all graphics with new Upbeat Giraffe-style wire nodes. Graphics are also more standardised in appearance now, and more evenly lit too (thanks to /fullbright)
    • Reworked the layout of most examples for compactness and ease of understanding.
    • Removed a lot of waffle that didn't really need to be there.
    • Added Persistent Switch, 1-tick latching, Shift Registers, Combination Locks, and Airlocks.
    • Added a contents section!
    Let me know what you think.

Coming soon: BCD counter, seven-segment decoder.

Oxidis, SivCorp, TrueEdge and 2 others like this.
  12. Freakscar

Freakscar Phantasmal Quasar

Just a few thoughts.

First of all: I really appreciate the work you've done. As in Minecraft, I have a hard time understanding redstone/wiring whenever it's only written in text form, so your images and additional explanations are very welcome. Second off, I have given up completely wiring stuff for now, as it serves no purpose other than "I made dis! :geek:" as long as there is no serious way to add "is indestructible" to a player placed block. E.g., as long as anyone could just axe away at my switches, wires and walls, I do not have it in me to work on a complicated lock, "just cause". Not saying there are no people wo enjoy this very thing, but I do not. And last, I would wish me one/some practical uses per switch/wire-example; this is ofc stupid to ask for, as the post you have is already a metric ton of work to update and work on. I just wanted to have it said - one can dream, no? ;)

Again, thank you for your work. :notworthy:

13. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I can totally sympathise with you. I've been pushing for more peripherals to give wiring a more practical edge. For now it's more of a fun toy. Player-controlled block protection really needs to be a thing too.

Yep, I think it needs more worked examples too, you can never have too many. I'll add them in over time.

You are most welcome.

Freakscar likes this.
  14. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Right now, wiring's only purpose is to keep your npcs from running out into the wild.
    Although I have made some nifty airlocks for ocean planets.
    And to aid in building liquid conversion stations, but that's an exploit. Can't let people know about that.

SeaJay likes this.
  15. Nate McCloud

Fun fact: Real latches have two outputs: Q, and !Q (it's supposed to be Q with an overline, but since you can't do overlines on this board...). To emulate this, connect the output of the latch directly to the input of the device meant to connect to the Q output, and make a second connection from the output of the latch to the input of a NOT gate, then from the output of the NOT gate to the input of the device meant to connect to the !Q output.

16. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Indeed. Often I find myself going "hm, need a double-ended output here", but then realise i've already inverted the latch elsewhere for some other reason, so I can just re-use that. :)

Speaking of re-using stuff, the 7-segment decoder I'm making reuses a ton of blocks, and still manages to be a total mess. :(

I really hope that doesn't get patched out, people are having far too much fun with it.

TrueEdge likes this.
  17. TrueEdge

@SeaJay
    I converted a good chunk of a frozen ocean world into an erchius fuel conversion station. I want to post pictures of it, but it feels like I'm promoting the glitch :eek:
    I also lore'd it to fit with my novakid as an fuel tycoon. (wild west/texas oil tycoon reference)

Helpful tip if you do engage in these fuel generating activities: Origin liquid will pool without converting while off screen. Keeping vision on your conversion system will greatly reduce the chance of origin liquid pooling.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  18. Nate McCloud

Whoa, wait, hold on a sec. I want to hear more about this liquid conversion exploit.

19. TrueEdge

First rule of erchius conversion exploit:
    Don't talk about erchius conversion exploit.

20. Nate McCloud

Aww. :( Ah well.