Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Kidou

Kidou Void-Bound Voyager

Try these. I believe you only have to unpack the files once.

Windows only because I have no idea how to Linux or Mac. 64 should work on Windows 7 and 32 works on XP.

Attached Files:

2. XboXcreep

XboXcreep Void-Bound Voyager

Ok so i got everything to work, but when i start now it says packed.pak is missing even though i replaced the old one with my modded one :(

EDIT: Well nvm im stupid, should check my spelling next time, works now

3. No.

4. Llywylln

Llywylln Aquatic Astronaut

Ok, so I'm having a very different issue with this new pak file business.

I'm getting the asset_unpacker.exe to run and do it's job, but my unpacked folder is missing a LOT of stuff that used to be in the asset folder. The game runs normally, as far as I can tell, but whole loads of folders are missing from the unpacked folder so I can only assume that the unpack process is ending early I notice that nothing that starts with a letter beyond 'I' in the alphabet is unpacked. No monsters, no quests, no recipes etc. My unpacked folders end with the items folder and interface.config.

Now I ran asset_unpacker.exe from a bat file I wrote myself and there were no errors at all. There was also no feedback so the only results I get fro it are the files in the folder it created.

For the curious, I run windows 7 64-bit, steam is not in the default folder but my bat file used relative pathing and more importantly it did work, at least partially, so ti clearly had no issue in finding target or destination.

This seemed so odd to me I decided to do a complete wipe and reinstall the whole Starbound folder. Afterward, I retried the unpack and got the same results as before. The asset_unpacker.exe must be quitting early in the unpack process because there are too many files missing from the unpacked asset folder it produces. I've looked all over what it DOES extract and there are no quests, recipes, monsters, weather etc.

Any Suggestions?
    -Llywylln

5. Are you seeing a message explicitly stating that the unpacker finished? Do not close your command prompt until you see a message explicitly stating how long it took and that it is finished extracting resources.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  6. wraithbone

wraithbone Pangalactic Porcupine

Thanks for that, I have made a GUI that helps me package and unpackage repeatedly.

EDIT:
    Made the program easier and simpler to use. It just makes you drag and drop for almost everything so you can use the file explorer in windows to pick what you want packed and unpacked.
    Obviously this means you cant do this if you dont have a mouse (who doesnt???), and might be a little trickier on a touchpad/touchscreen, but it makes the operation simpler.
    Here is V2.0
    Here is a video showing how to use it.

As always its safe:
    [​IMG]

If you still want V1 then here it is:

[​IMG]
    Here it is:
    LINK
    If you are nervous about it then hopefully this will ease your mind:

[​IMG]

Otherwise if you are still not sure about security then:
    SOURCE CODE (VS2012)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  7. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

added this to the OP! Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. Sketch2347

Sketch2347 Phantasmal Quasar

Everytime i click on asset_unpacker it flashes on my screen for a sec then dissapears, why?

9. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

Tried converting my Printable Seeds mod for Furious Koala...outside of a .pak file, it causes the game to stick on the Loading screen; inside a .pak file, it causes all seeds to be replaced with Perfectly Generic Items. So, I know how to pack and unpack files...but I have no idea how to work with my mods with this new system.

EDIT: Never mind, it was because I had the prices enclosed in quotes.

10. wraithbone

wraithbone Pangalactic Porcupine

It improves the load speed, rather than checking if each file has changed since the last time it loaded, it just checks the pak file's hash number if it is the same then load away, otherwise check again.

tetkris likes this.
  11. Llywylln

Llywylln Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks, though I actually figured it out on my own (lack o Caffeine)

I wasn't seeing any feedback, so I was actually cancelling it before it completed. :) I moved it to a new folder with much shorter path names (thinking that the long path names might have been hitting a fence post for some maximum size filename.) and when I did so, I actually left it running while I check the folder. I noticed as I was looking at filenames that a few more showed up, then some more etc. so all along I just needed to let it run.

-L

12. Desolator

Desolator Pangalactic Porcupine

EDIT: I'm stuck on part 3, where it says to go to the packed.pak file. What do I do from there? Help! I'm really confused.

13. Arkadiusz103pl

Arkadiusz103pl Space Spelunker

It's working.Thank you.

14. Desolator

how did you do it? i'm stck on part 3 for windows. what do i do with the packed.pak folder?

15. Denninja

Denninja Phantasmal Quasar

Not worth it, my least favorite update.

Your GUI isn't working for me, I set the paths for unpacking as instructed yet the unPak button stays greyed, clicking it opens a blank cmd for a moment, no effect.
    Nothing is blocking the application.

manlyflower and intervencion like this.
  16. Arkadiusz103pl

After you packed it, copy the packed.pak from the unpacked folder and paste in Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets

17. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Void-Bound Voyager

Edit: Noticed my problem.

I am not a clever man.

18. Desolator

Nope... not working, the packed.pak file is already in the assets folder. If someone has a video on how to do it that would be helpful

19. Arkadiusz103pl

I Can do a video.But i warn, i am still learning english.

Renger45 likes this.
  20. Desolator

ok thats fine! just let me know when its done or if you find another video. also, i uuse windows 8.1