1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is is possible to offend a fictional race...?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Snazzy Drew, Dec 20, 2013.

?

Which race do you dislike the most?

1. Monkeymen

79 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Birdfolk

32 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Robochaps

28 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Grey Owl

Grey Owl Subatomic Cosmonaut

flap flap flap

2. tre288

tre288 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Have you seen or read Brazil/1984?

3. SloppyMayor

SloppyMayor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Remember that guy that got genuinely offended and made a post about someone calling his apex a monkey f*****?

People take stuff too srsly

Snazzy Drew likes this.
  4. Esther_Fox

Esther_Fox Aquatic Astronaut

Really? Because of the people that try to talk like them? That's hardly the Florans' fault, is it? :p
    I have no reason to dislike any of the races. All of them seem unique and interesting in a Starbound-lore way.
    There are only races I would play, and some I wouldn't. But not because I have developed a superficial dislike for any of them.

5. SloppyMayor

6. KumaZone

KumaZone Yeah, You!

I main a Hylotl guy, and Floran and Glitch are surprisingly peaceful to me, but i found a Human military base on my starting planet and they attacked me on site. i also keep finding tons of abandoned Apex laboratories full of creepy, sinister stuff

7. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

I've had to study 1984 in my school a few years back, but as for leisurely reading, no.
    I know some of the basic principles of it, though, which SB reminded me of.

8. kiomadoushi

kiomadoushi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Avians are birds... their "suicide" towers are for flight...
    And I could instantly tell it was a human base when I ran into roombas. They're clearly the descendents of all human civilization, and what has happened to us as we entered the space age.

9. Doublejho

Yeah but all they do is stand out on the edges and wait for something to kill them, and then they don't run off or even try to get away, even when I'm trying to bring them inside.
    I didn't really have a name for them, and my friends and I had noticed their odd behaviour and thought it was a fairly fitting name until the buildings were given an actual name.

10. SloppyMayor

Avians are flightless birds

11. Doublejho

Yeah what that guy said, I keep forgetting about the flightless thing.

12. Neutral_Bob

Neutral_Bob Void-Bound Voyager

I actually like all the races, each have their flaws from what I've seen. I initially didn't care for the Florans after my first time playing the game landed me on a planet with one lone Floran calling me a "Horrible fish", however they kind of grew on me. For all of the Florans that threatened me or hissed at me, I actually found a few that were alright. It's much the same with the Glitches and the Avians I've encountered. For every Glitch and Avian calling me awkward or a fish, I have one that is happy to me or, in the Avians case, wants to snuggle with me. I truly love the variety, and I can't wait until the implementation of villages/cities for the other races.

13. Sir_Fancy_Pants

Sir_Fancy_Pants Master Chief

This is true but if you inspect the sign as a Glitch it tells you that outcasts are rehabilitated in a similar way.

14. kiomadoushi

kiomadoushi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Then explain racial armor gliding ability?

"Flightless" is as balance-rendering as florans not relying on photosynthesis and having to eat, or hylotl not drying up and dying (yay) when they leave the water

15. SloppyMayor

Because maybe the armor can make you glide..?

Falke77 likes this.
  16. TheCoolSideofthePillow

TheCoolSideofthePillow Astral Cartographer

If it doesn't have a beak and feathers, I hate it.

17. neoniw

neoniw Big Damn Hero

I always role play a Fantasy Racist and play human only. Being a racist in real life is horrible, but fuck elves.

The only race my character is currently staunchly against in Starbound is Apex. Creeps her the eff out. Hairy Anti-Spiral scum.

Snazzy Drew likes this.
  18. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But this isn't about racism.

No one cares if you hate snakes or spiders, why would they care if you hate fish or monkey or bird or plant or robot species?

19. TheHonorableGeneral

TheHonorableGeneral 2.7182818284590...

Snakes and spiders are not sapients, therefore hating them does not involve the rather speciest term of dehumanization. They're already diminished in their capacity for thought and reason because they are non-sapient animals.

The Apex, Glitch, Hylotl, and Floran are sapient and capable of thought and reason and therefore depersonalizing them into lower creatures through use of insulting language would be considered "racism" (or, rather, "speciesism") in the context of the game.

That being said, I hate the Florans. Their cannibal and thuggish tendencies annoy me. It's a shame because the ones I meet out in huts that seem lonely actually are nice to me.

Snazzy Drew likes this.
  20. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

My Hylotl's viewpoints:
    • Humans: Nice enough, but need to learn patience. Also, would you learn to rehabilitate your criminals instead of littering the universe with them? It sets a bad precedent when so many first-contact situations with humans are with offworld penal colonies.
    • Apex: Pity the common Apex, so oppressed they often don't know it. The Miniknog and Big Ape can kindly go drown in a muddy puddle though. I do admire the sleek lines of their more advanced stuff, even if the standard issue possessions are painfully tacky.
    • Avian: Willing sacrifice is one thing, coerced sacrifice is another. Hylotl present their faith and allow others to participate, or not, as they choose. I find I have little stomach for how Avians attempt to force the worship of Kluex upon others. The Grounded are excellent company, however - though I do worry when they ask about me being edible. I get enough of that from the Florans, thanks.
    • Glitch: Stop calling me "fish" - and not all of us are as clueless and tactless as Hiraki, please try to realize that. That said, the goldwork furniture in your castles is fantastically intricate, if a bit overstated. Mind swapping techniques some time?
    • Floran: Hylotl are vegetarians. You are not off the menu. Continue to threaten me, and I will demonstrate one of the seven-thousand ways to make a salad out of freshly-chopped vegetables. What's that? I'm supposed to be a peace missionary? Well, peace through superior weaponry still counts.
    • Novakid: It'd be nice to not have to re-introduce myself to you every single time I meet you. In addition, next time you discover you can do something, consider whether or not you should. Seriously, you're as bad as Hiraki, and I don't think I could deal with an entire race of Hirakis for long without going crazy.
    My Glitch's viewpoints:
    • Humans: Envy. The freedom I obtained recently is something they've had for so long that they take it for granted. Horror. Their practice of incarcerating their criminals is almost worse than being re-purposed.
    • Apex: Sympathy. The degree at which their thoughts are controlled by their Miniknog reminds me of the hivemind. Would that they could free themselves from their oppression as easily as we.
    • Avian: Frustration. Please stop preaching about your crazy bird-god to me. I do not have a beak, or feathers, or wings; the only way I'm going to fly is via rocket propulsion or anti-gravity. I do not care about Kluex one way or another.
    • Hylotl: Discomfort. It's concerning how much more attention they pay to how I was made rather than who I am as a person. Confusion. They claim to love peace, but they are openly antagonistic towards the Florans. Resignation. I suppose it's mutual though - the Florans themselves are antagonistic to just about everyone but us Glitch.
    • Floran: Summation. Pretty to look at, but poor company. Exasperation. Most have the intellect and conversational skills of a wrecking ball, and are somehow even less subtle. Begrudged optimism. At least they don't go on about stabbing us like they do every other race.
    • Novakid: Infuriation. If I have to repeat myself one more time for their benefit, I'm going to blow an aggression inhibitor. Aggravation. They're endlessly curious about everything, but have such short attention spans that they never actually learn anything. As a result, they tend to get into everywhere and everything, and have no concept of tact.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    OwenBDead and Damiann47 like this.