Clueless Noob Trying To Install Mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Steve08010, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve08010

Steve08010 Void-Bound Voyager

Ok let me be very to the point here, I have ZERO experience installing mods onto games, That is i cant even find steams folder for this game sooo I'm asking for help. from someone who has a lot of paciance. Now i can easily find and download mods from the various links in this forum. but i have no idea how to use them once they are downloaded. as i said i cant even find the steam folder for starbound if such a thing exists. i'm currently creating a backup in the hops of creating a folder i can use but to be frank i have no idea what that'll do

as i said i'm a total noob at this stuff and could seriously use a walk through since most the tutorials assume that the person knows something about modding first.

To clearify why im trying to get a mod. my games starmap got wiped and im trying to get back to where i was. there are mods that make starmap unlocking VERY easy.

Nomadic Senseshifter and nn129 like this.
  2. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

Alright first step is to find your starbound folder.

You can either go Program Files/steam/steamapps/common/Starbound,

or you can go to your steam library, right click on starbound, go to properties, then local files and hit "browse local files".

either way gets you to the Starbound directory. There should be a "mods" folder and that is where you unzip mods. If they're configured correctly with a .modinfo file that should be the end of it.

3. Abedeus

Abedeus Yeah, You!

What if none of the mods work if I put them there?

4. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

In the "mods" folder, there should be a folder for each mod. In this folder, there should be a .modinfo file.

If they aren't working you need to unzip the file. You can't leave them as .rar or .7z files.

5. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

Hi, Steve08010,
    how about this - let us know which version of Starbound Beta you're playing and which mod you want to install and we can post you some instructions if those who come with the mod are not clear.
    Sounds good ?

Steve08010 likes this.
  6. Steve08010

thank you guys im going to test this out. ill let you know how it gose!

7. Steve08010

well it looks like in hopes of using any of my mods ill need to start a new character

8. Steve08010

Well ill be frank, it looks like fallowing vague ReadMe files directions i fucked my game up pretty bad, i managed to Mod my Ship but when it came to adding things to the "Player" folder or "Player Configuration" depending which browser you open it in. Things got a bit messy and now i dont know how to re install the game. do i have to Buy it all over again???? is there a re install option???? i cant find it, and now im worried i have broken my game beyond saving. i should never have tried modding on my own, because now i have lost everything including my teir 10 armor and well... the game in general

The best i can hope for is some way of reinstalling the game and starting over.

9. Westeller

Westeller Space Penguin Leader

Don't panic. You can have steam repair your Starbound installation at any time. Simply select "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" in the game's propety menu.

[​IMG]

However, this will not solve your issue if it isn't caused by an edit to a vanilla file, such as the player.config in your \Starbound\assets\ folder.
    If you're using files in \Starbound\mods\ that are causing issues, you'll need to fix or remove those files by hand.

It's worth noting, actually, that you should not have touched a single file in \Starbound\assets\. When working with mods, you should only edit files in \Starbound\mods\, keeping your \Starbound\assets\ folder clean. Anytime you come across serious issues, then, the most you should have to do is remove the mod that's causing it. Your game should always be one Del key-press away from a clean and un-modded installation.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Mood and Steve08010 like this.
  10. Steve08010

thanks for the help. hopefully all works out just fine :)
    and i had no idea about the assets folder as some readme instructions tell you to go there. some mods werent working simply from the mod folder. such as the starship mod, being required to be directly in the assets/ship/avian section. but ill keep that in mind not to mess around with that bit of the files again.

11. Westeller

Westeller Space Penguin Leader

There are no mods in existence which cannot be installed and work properly in the \mods\ folder. Some might require some tinkering with to get into the correct format, but there are plenty of people around that would be happy to help you organize things if something is confusing you.

12. Steve08010

gah i need a friend whos better with computers then i am :rofl: i suck so much at this stuff.

13. Steve08010

thing is that these folders offten come with a lot of stuff in them. and the mod editor wont accept entire folders, you have to feed it the individual files inside, which leads me to worry how it organizes them and then it become a big mess of tabs, that i dont know where they go to o.o some times i just wish remote access worked better so i could have someone just go in and install em the right way :rofl:

you guys are being very helpful though, im just not computer smart

14. Eathed

Eathed Pangalactic Porcupine

Why are you using a mod editor? Aren't you just installing mods?

15. Steve08010

yes, im only working with the Steam files.

16. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

Hi, Steve,
    in case you're modifying the game files directly - always backup.
    Are you playing Beta v. Offended Koala?
    If yes - most of the mods need just to be put in the Mods folder in your game install dir.
    More info here:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-to-release-mods-in-v-offended-koala.53140/

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/mods-installation-and-distribution-beta-offended-koala.53587/

And some other useful stuff here:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...g-how-to-get-started-modding-starbound.29611/

17. Steve08010

Ill give this a try :) i know some will require me to make a new character which is fine. heres a wishlist of what im trying to fo

1.Avian Cruiser upgrade
    2. Building material bundle
    3. M277 Rifle
    4. Binary star systems.
    5. Fuel Generator
    6. ultratech

ok so my mods are now in the "mods folder" but there is still this item in there that says "mods go here" when i open it with Notepad++ it brings up a few tabs but i dont readily see my mods as being in those tabs. do i drag the folders from the mods folder into this open notepad document?

Sorry again if i seem clueles but i do feel like im getting there. at least you cant say the title of the thread wasent a fair warning lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  18. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

1.Avian Cruiser upgrade

backup your Starbound\assets\ships\avian
    and put the modded files in that path.

2. Building material bundle
    no idea what that is

3. M277 Rifle
    no idea what that is

4. Binary star systems.

http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/40/?
    install instructions in the link

5. Fuel Generator
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/fuel-generator.48817/
    Install: download .zip and
    Unzip files into ".../Starbound/mods/"

6. ultratech
    http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/91/?

This one is not meant for Offended Koala i think,
    it will need some editing of the player.config file.

Download the file, unpack, and copy to your .../assets/ folder

Then backup player.config (Again from /assets/) and edit the file by adding this:
    "defaultBlueprints" : {
    "tier1" : [
    { "item" : "mininglantern" },
    { "item" : "copperarmorhead" },
    { "item" : "copperarmorchest" },
    { "item" : "ultratech" }, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this line REMARK THE COMMA

IMPORTANT NOTE: Try installing the mods 1 by 1. Mark your steps in a text file and if something goes wrong - you can back out the last step you did.

19. micheel665

micheel665 Void-Bound Voyager

I have a problam, A.there is no mods in the starbound folder I validated the game so I created a new one B. the mods dont work

20. Spinarack

Spinarack Space Hobo

I am also having an issues with my mods, it's all up to date and I unzipped both the avali race mod and the character expansion mod by Kawa's Xbawks and it won't load at all. I have a friend at school who did the EXACT same thing I did, and his worked, we couldn't figure out why mine didn't. I looked up tutorials and there are none for my mods. Please help, it's so frustrating how my wont load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.