1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Wipe?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hanako Ikezawa, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Hanako Ikezawa

Hanako Ikezawa Space Hobo

When I got the newest update (12/10/2013) I lost my character that I put 33 hours into.
    Is this only me or is there anyone else like this?

2. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

It was said that Beta Character Wipes would Happen. Steam doesn't say anything about it though.

Serenity likes this.
  3. FireCyanide

FireCyanide Subatomic Cosmonaut

Also they did warn about it on the recent update log. Check the home page for more details

4. blejd

blejd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i will start cry in few more topics like this. Seriorusly. Read before post :(

5. FireCyanide

6. mareck

mareck Void-Bound Voyager

There was no mention on the steam page that this game was still in an Beta 1 phase.
    Where characters can be lost.

I lost an character with just about 30 hours of play time.
    If the game was in such a weak state. It should not have been pushed to release (even as a beta)

7. Kazzamkablam

Kazzamkablam Seal Broken

At steam page it says with cat sized letters :
    Early Access Game

should be hint enough to even most stubborn people.

8. Meldieboy

Meldieboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

The very purpose of an open beta is to test bugs and fix them. This includes things such as scaling, balance, and character file save methods. If you don't like the thought of a wipe, wait until Automaton or Biomechanical beta stages. saying that a game has bugs therefore it should not be released is perfectly valid, but a beta is supposed to have bugs, otherwise it isn't a beta, it is a full game masquerading as a beta.

9. Tiev

Tiev Subatomic Cosmonaut

Early Access does not mean wipes. Beta might and likely will lead to wipes but early access is access before the due time which does not by itself mean access into an unfinished product.

You could have a 4-day-early access with the product releasing 3 days after =P

10. FireCyanide

That's kinda the reason why they have beta's... It's so they can update it and sometimes they end up having to delete characters

11. raihanRSD

raihanRSD Void-Bound Voyager

is there any chance dat character is going to get wipe again?

12. Mansen

Mansen Subatomic Cosmonaut

Early Access DOES mean "In development - Shit can and will happen". So quit your whining and read the changelogs on the DEVELOPER'S WEBSITE if you want to stay updated. It has never been a secret that Steam's news system is scraping the bottom of the pond.

13. blejd

blejd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

most likely

14. sketchseven

sketchseven Big Damn Hero

Except thats not how Steam Early Access works, at all.

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

*shakes magic 8-ball*

[​IMG]

16. Tiev

Tiev Subatomic Cosmonaut

Really? WoW, maybe someone should Sue bioware for putting out SwToR in early access when it was gold version.

It could have been more polished and less buggy? Sure, but it was Release version and certainly not a beta.

You are wrong. Early access doesn't mean BETA.

It just so happens this game is in beta.

17. Mansen

Mansen Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello Off-Topic - Please report to the front desk at once.

Early Access means "In development" - So yes, by definition it also means a game can be in Beta.

18. Nyarly

Nyarly Space Spelunker

Stage 1 beta, you agreed on this.

19. Sergeant Scryed

Sergeant Scryed Astral Cartographer

it is beta it is your fault for not reading the description, it is on this website and highlighted where they say you will have your characters wiped at some point in time

Stop whining and move on, you know you are just gonna play again anyways so why cry about it?

20. raihanRSD

raihanRSD Void-Bound Voyager

thanks for the answer guys