Please Implement A Warp Beacon, Doing Anything Underground Is Tedious Without It

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Pizzarugi, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perq

Perq Phantasmal Quasar

I think theres way too much of free mobility anyways. You have techs, you have free (!!!) port to your safehouse named ship. What I would like to see is actually making player to land with the ship and having to spend resources so he must be taking decisions, what to do. Game is easy as it is.

I have nothing against being able to do portals transporting you from one point on the planet to another. Altho I think this should be EXTREMELY hard.

Lazerballs likes this.
  2. Killeraira

Killeraira Tentacle Wrangler

I would like a teleporter type system, I also wanted to create a massive underground facility. Most feel it would make mining "too easy" but I don't see that as the case, especially if you have to travel between the two teleporters to link them before they will function. I don't see how this would drastically change the danger level of mining. Most of my deaths were monsters falling on my head, long fall deaths or afk dieing from lack of food. All of which a teleporter wouldn't have helped. Sure you could have an outpost setup underground to go back and mine, but you will mine out the area fairly quickly. I think it would really boost the building community more so than being exploited.

I also am hoping for a surface teleporter system where you could teleport from your ship to any specific outpost planet so I could better keep track of more than one planet since you only get one home planet. For multiplayer this would be nice to easily visit friends places to check them out if they are not online. Also can make it cost fuel to teleport if you want, but I haven't had any problems collecting fuel and have an overabundance currently.

3. Courier Six

Courier Six Space Hobo

-Didn't read anything past the first page

I rather we don't have bacons work underground. I'll make the game way too easy imo. What would be the point of armor and weapons when we could just teleport at the first sign of danger. Its find the way it is and it makes sense, you can only port if you're on the surface of the planet.

"Also can make it cost fuel to teleport if you want, but I haven't had any problems collecting fuel and have an overabundance currently."
    Yes i would be ok with this. Even if it is just a tiny amount.

Perq likes this.
  4. Pizzarugi

Pizzarugi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Heard of saving and exiting the game? Takes you back to the ship and unlike making warp beacons, it's absolutely free. And tedium doesn't equal danger, spending a good 10 minutes to travel across an entire planet (maybe more depending on how often you have to stop and kill the surface hostiles) and 5+ to get back down a deep cave system is an irritating waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere.

And how does it make sense that you can't warp underground? High-tech teleportation technology capable of going through a dense alloyed metal hull, but can't get through dirt and rock? I would imagine a warp beacon would increase the signal strength of the ship's teleporter to allow warping underground.

Warboss_Spriggs likes this.
  5. TheSilentObserver

TheSilentObserver Big Damn Hero

Sigh...

Why do so many people seem to equate 'Bore me to tears by making me waste 10 minutes every time I want to move equipment and supplies from the surface to my base below-ground' with 'challenging and interesting gameplay'? I've watched you explain the same thing to these folks at least seven times, and still they keep coming back and INSISTING that it makes the game too 'easy' if you don't force them to walk back and forth 8 billions times. Out of every hour I play, at least a third of my time is spent moving FOOD around so that I don't starve to death underground. If I weren't so committed to roleplaying my character as a properly-carnivorous Floran, I'd probably just build a farm and save myself the headache.

As it is, it's just a hassle to go back and forth and back and forth endlessly. MOVING is not a challenge. It's not difficulty. When the player has the ability to shape the terrain however they please, even the most impassable terrain can be tamed. As such, trying to falsely imply that my WALKING along a secure, man-made roadway from my Starport to my mining facility is supposed to be a CHALLENGE is just foolishness.

When the player has tamed the wilderness, things like 'moving around' are no longer insurmountable tasks. They're just tasks. Mundane, ordinary tasks which any civilization worth a grain of salt would be expending a great deal of effort to make more efficient. Nobody says "No thanks, roads are too easy to me. I'm going to walk through the forest to work today."

6. Knarral

Knarral Aquatic Astronaut

It's too bad that so many people seem to have that mentality nowadays. "It's not hard to do X, just grind for 2 weeks and you'll be okay." I remember when "grind" used to be a derogatory term. Nobody should like a grind. That's why it's a GRIND! And it's the same mentality that we see here: Grind has been confused with challenge because developers have replaced challenge with grind. And gaming and the gaming community have gotten all the worse for it.

7. scgimlin

scgimlin Void-Bound Voyager

If people are worried that underground beacons will make the game less challenging, why not do something simple? Give the warp beacons an aggro radius like a mob. If it detects anything that is hostile to the player (even when not actively hostile), the warp beacon would automatically shut down.
    On another note, at high level tiers, I'd rather like to see interplanetary warp beacons. The basic idea there, I suppose, would be that you could connect your friend's planets together easily on a server. I would make it something the player would have to invest in, though.

8. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

It'd be lovely to have the planets connected at least in same solar system(Planet/moons on same orbit) Or maybe even connect all of them. Adding warp coords to your ship's Tech upgraded Warp would be far better than porting back up from underground if I had to choose.

But I don't really like trekking back and forth much either. Once you build secured ways up all it takes is time. Not to mention the likelihood of OUTGEARING the planet you're building on anyways so mobs may NOT BE a THREAT AT ALL. Granted if if you actually try building on a planet slightly above gear level, sure the trip down and securing the way down, may be challenging, but not once it's done.

I still prefer Elevator to get up over a warp, but I don't mind porting on the surface. I can just save and quit anyways if I want to go back to the ship.

9. Koor

Koor Space Spelunker

In my opinion, the best way to do this is just call your ship into orbit above the location you want to be able to beam down on. In order to call your ship, however, you will need an unobstructed view of the sky and remain stationary for the 60 seconds the call requires. This way, you will have to clear the area of monsters, and can't just hit a hotkey to set your bind point an instant before your death.

Along with this, I think the buff pods you find underground should all include (in addition to the random buff) a 10 second buff that grants you the ability to teleport to your ship from underground. The reason for this would be that the pods act as an amplifier for your signal to the ship, and it would give players a reason to use the dang things.

10. xSlacker

xSlacker Pangalactic Porcupine

Teleporter beacon would be awesome. :)

11. KMnOFour

KMnOFour Star Wrangler

Don't know if this has been suggested yet cause I didn't fully read through all 7 pages of posts but what about a teleporter pad that lets you travel to and from your ship but it won't work if there are aggressive mobs near? That way you don't have a get out of jail free card in case you're in trouble but it does reduce the tedium of extensive traveling. This should be a high tier item though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. KMnOFour

KMnOFour Star Wrangler

In addition, you could have the pad require a charge time (like 20 seconds or so) if you're underground. Therefore, you have two aspects to this teleporter that prevent it from being a panic button.

13. Denninja

Denninja Phantasmal Quasar

How about some rules?
    - Teleporters draw aggro and are destroyed by any hostile npc.
    - Same activation requirements as boss summoners, so they can't be placed in inaccessible positions too easily.
    - Otherwise a teleporter's start+destination needs to be linked directly via wire and/or powered.
    So probably two kinds, one for the surface as a warp beacon, one between points on a planet.

14. Killeraira

Maybe can not teleport with hostile within 50 tiles, and I would go with a use time, about 10 seconds of start teleport to actual teleport. Hostiles or movement would interrupt the teleport. I think the teleporter idea could be implemented and not be abused too much. It would really add for underground designs.

15. theCrius

theCrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

- read only first page, sorry

I'd like to suggest to add a "loading time" to any teleport functionality.

Both the ship one and the eventually new one that act as a teleport to planet home base.

This should avoid the abuse of teleport as a panic button.

thefirecrack3r likes this.
  16. quakeman00

quakeman00 Pangalactic Porcupine

+1 , would devenitely love to set a teleporting point on a planet once explored

17. Kyphis

Kyphis Void-Bound Voyager

I think having a placeable beacon for arrival at the planet from the ship (one per planet) which must be placed on the surface makes sense, and should be available from the start. You get one per planet you visit, and if you warp out while carrying it it gets dropped (if not in a valid location for it to be placed, it is instead destroyed and your ship places a new one at the original arrival point).

At higher tiers you could get a Tech that teleports you from anywhere on the planet to the planetary beacon, but has a casting time of 30 seconds and consumes 90 energy (3 per second). This won't stop people walling themselves in, but it is more dangerous than terraria's magic mirror none the less.

18. Twisted

Twisted Orbital Explorer

+1, simply on the reasoning is the alternative is to Quit and Save and return to your game. Why not just provide a tool to do the same task?

I'm thinking we can drag this idea out ::

Maybe have tier one be that 'magic mirror' we all loved from Terraria, it brought you back to ship up to a certain depth.
    Tier Two recipes would be similar bringing you back to ship but at any depth the device works.
    Tier Three Recipes the item is now re-bindable to your house. To a bed like the magic mirror or some other item.

Tier Four Recipes lets you build a new device that allows you to change how your ship teleporter works, there's now a ground device that you assign to the teleporter (so its a 1-to-1 relationship) and your now no longer stuck to landing in just one location. Must be at surface.
    Tier Five Recipes to build a teleport network, letting you hop around to whichever "pad" you want. Must be on surface still.
    Tier Six (if there is one?) the teleport network can work underground. At this point you should have all the freedom you want.

LuckyRare likes this.
  19. LopsidedMidget

LopsidedMidget Void-Bound Voyager

Great idea! In addition to this I would also like to have some method (warp beacon could double for this purpose) to quickly get to the people in your party. If you both have a beacon than it would be great to allow you to teleport to one another. Going underground and trying to find your party members is a huge headache. This is compounded by the fact that you cannot track how deep you are and your party member is left to search blindly. I found this to be problematic when I found a merchant deep underground and my party member spent an hour searching for me with no luck.

LuckyRare likes this.
  20. Killeraira

To help, the bottom left of your avatar in the party list has a compass that points to that party member. It would work well if you are close by, but not so much if you are very far away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.