Mod Request: Character Recovery/Character Editor

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jynx, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Jynx

Jynx Big Damn Hero

So I keep hearing there will be a character wipe with this next update, I wanted to know if anyone had the know how to create a Character Recovery type thing that can read old character files and transfer over any held/worn items, pixels and character looks over and translate it into the next update.

It'd be a very useful mod if anyone was willing to take it up, or even an inventory edit I suppose so people could recover their lost items... mainly I dont want to lose my Toxic Flower Backpack ;.;

Aural Automaton likes this.
  2. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut

What part of
    are people not understanding?

Jonesy, The | Suit, Yazzo and 5 others like this.
  3. ColgateGamer

ColgateGamer Void-Bound Voyager

I completely agree with this..
    If anybody is going to make a actual save editor, It should be saved for either stage 2, or stage 3 of beta, when characters won't constantly be wiped.

4. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

On the contrary, I think this is a fantastic idea. It means people can test anything, anytime they want, and would also ease the pain of characters getting wiped. It's taken me 30-40 hours to hit end game, and that's only sector X. I don't fancy putting in another 40 hours+ at each wipe, and it would be much easier to be able to just go straight to where I was and continue testing.

5. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames Tentacle Wrangler

Do this Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\player Then copy and paste your character files to elsewhere.If your character breaks when you put him in a updated version don't blame me.To be honest i don't care about the wipes we were warned!

6. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've been working on a save file reader for the past few days.

The reason we're getting a wipe is because the balance changes will affect how items are stored, in specific: the randomly generated ones.

Theoretically I could write something to generate new values from the old, but thats probably not worth the work for me or for the chuckledevs.

7. Jynx

Jynx Big Damn Hero

Yes I know they said there would be wipes, but if someone is able to I dont see why we couldnt get a modder to make a character recovery tool for those of us that would like to recover our inventory. I dont see why you're upset over this, just because I am not cheering for character wipes doesnt mean I dont understand. All I am asking is that if there is a way to recover items into the next update it'd be nice/helpful to those of us who want to keep some of what we were working on.

8. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

There is an item, generic item is its name. It's a green cube of nothing. Couldn't you just swap out anything that's incompatible for that? Least that's a partial transfer.

9. Jynx2501

Jynx2501 Void-Bound Voyager

Backing up your characters won't do anything for you. the game its self is being changed so that your character files won't work anymore. Thats how they wipe them... Right now, our characters are unbalanced. If you could even use backed up characters, they would be broken in terms of game play. I'm just saving all my techs and treasures on my multiplier planet. I'll use all my stuff then. Its not like our characters have levels are anything. There is no real work put into their progress, just gear, which can be transferred easily.

10. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

You're assuming that the universe doesn't get wiped too (which from what I understand, it will.)

11. Jynx2501

Jynx2501 Void-Bound Voyager

It will? Haven't heard anything about that yet. I don't mind starting over. it stings a little, but treasure hunting is my favorite part anyway. "Beating" Terraria killed it for me.

12. Whitey

Whitey Poptop Tamer

It's a fair assumption the universe will get wiped, given they're rebalancing planets...

13. Sirfailalot

Sirfailalot Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly if someone can find a way for us to restore characters to a certain point (Even if its just a save editor that lets us put things in our inventory.) It'd probably be a good thing initially. It'd also be useful for those occasions where you get bugs that eat your items. Probably be a long, painful process to make one that will work with later patches with minimal effort though. If it's possible at all.

14. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

The universe will need a wipe too, all generated weapons will break and need to be replaced.

My save reader can read most save files so far, have some bugs with apex saves. I'm probably going to have to make some updates to it with the changes coming today.

If they don't do another wipe Soon I can probably have character editing done for V2 of the save format

Elate likes this.
  15. Whitey

Whitey Poptop Tamer

You can achieve this currently by just copying your "player" folder and restoring it, if it's in the same version. All of your inventory and stats will be the same as when you copied the folder. This will likely not work to import to later versions though.

16. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

if you found a way to edit new patch saves, please let us know.
    would be a great help to test the end game without investing another 30 hours. even if its only for the ores and stuff, without the weapons and armor.

17. nick9702

nick9702 Void-Bound Voyager

Megs & Mia likes this.
  18. Silveracecard

Silveracecard Space Hobo

How dare people want to have a way around this. The nerve of some forum-goers!

Lord Fatso and DiiSs like this.
  19. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

so, err, any status on a proprer character editor ? cause i got myself notepad++ to start dabbling into modding (which is going fine) but if i want to add stuff to my character for testing, the save files format (in notepad++ at least) is really wonky and hard to understand.

sooo, news or tricks for that ?

20. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

codyfun123, Fleder and Magic like this.