1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Music skill/ability in StarBound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by kfaj, Nov 13, 2013.

?

Music?

1. yes

24.1%
  2. hell yes

65.5%
  3. not sure

3.4%
  4. lets talk

10.3%
  5. no

10.3%
  6. aint nobody got time for that

13.8%
  1. kfaj

kfaj Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just wanted to make this to see if anyone had any thoughts on this, or if it had already been done. The idea for it I had in mind was being able to compose music into the game and play it through buy-able and craft-able musical instruments using mml or midi. If anyone here has ever played Mabinogi they will know exactly what i'm talking about although i'm not keen on adding restrictions to how much you can compose like they do in said game. The obvious options of turning that volume down or being able to mute someone purposely using it to troll should also be discussed.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  2. kfaj

kfaj Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wanted to make a thread about this first before I made this a suggestion just to help me define what I and/or the rest of us would want to be in said suggestion.

3. Crye

Crye Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think something like this is already being made in the game.. Also next time try and keep it in one post and add some more details to the point or idea that you are trying to show ^^

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Kitty Box and Serenity like this.
  4. kfaj

kfaj Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll work on finishing the idea before posting it and adding to it in the future. :)
    I really just wanted to see others opinions on it and talk about general speculation about how it will work, and the mechanics for it.

5. JackAllan

JackAllan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Already in the game. You can craft instruments and use them to play songs via ABC files.

6. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Eh I like the idea of skills and leveling abilities but I wouldn't want to spend hours just trying to level my character up enough to play "Through the Fire Flames" or "Still alive".
    Sources: Mabinogi Bard Skill

Musicalbears likes this.
  7. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

I would rather not have to grind to be able to play music well.

Also, instruments are in the game, you might want to look a the list of announced game information sometime.

Kitty Box, PlayMp1 and Jonesy like this.
  8. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

There will be no 'skill' involved, apparently.

Also, I'm a rabid Mabinogi player and I've been annoying the hell out of Bart over and over for MML support, since that's what I'm used to.

He told me to go develop an MML to ABC converter, since Starbound is using ABC. How RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE.

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I don't really see the point in having a skill for it. If people want to play music, let them. There aren't really any skills in the game, anyway.

ImmortalFrog, Serenity and Kitty Box like this.
  10. PlayMp1

PlayMp1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, you might be able to find a bit of a workaround rather than having to develop a direct converter. I'm sure there's things that can convert from MIDI to ABC and from MML to MIDI. So take whatever you want to put in SB, convert it to MIDI, and convert the MIDI to ABC. Presto, MML to ABC!

11. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

I've tried that.

It absolutely SLAUGHTERS whatever you had. Especially since MML supports multiple tracks playing at once a bit better than ABC.

Svarr Chanston and Kitty Box like this.
  12. PlayMp1

Can you write music in standard Western notation? Start from there instead of from MML, then convert to ABC.

13. POCKoCLOCK

POCKoCLOCK Void-Bound Voyager

I hope they include a wide range of instruments. Woodwinds, brass, percussion, and string. I want my trombone.

14. PlayMp1

Who's up for creating a Starbound Jazz Orchestra? I'll play drums. Maybe vibraphone.

POCKoCLOCK likes this.
  15. kfaj

kfaj Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah I must have over looked it when i was browsing the features. :p
    I am also not keen on the idea of grinding levels, but I still want to see this fleshed out.
    I think we as a community could push them to make a converter as part of the game, but i'm not sure if I want to take their time away to do that vs getting the rest of the game done.
    I still like the idea of music affecting your group or enemies though! (ie: Buffs, debuffs, maybe even damage in some cases or other neat effects)
    I don't know about you but i'm going to be jamin with my old school videogame songs!
    (P.S. can i get a link to an easy to use abc making program? Like what 3ml is to mml.)

16. PlayMp1

They don't need to make a converter themselves. I'm certain some smart programmer/musician will make a converter relatively quickly.

17. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

There was a big suggestion thread on buffs/debuffs from music, but there was a lot of arguments about the validity of the bard system in a space game.

As for ABC notation, there is a wealth of existing resources such as the Lord of the Rings online ABC site
    http://www.lotro-abc.com/

There are some free programs about like EasyABC which turn midi files in to ABC notation for you
    http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/

If you like to compose your own, you can find a program like MuseScore which lets you turn self written sheet music in to midi files
    http://musescore.org/

There is a bunch of free choices out there, those are just a few I use for simple ABC notation and midi generation

PlayMp1 likes this.
  18. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Your crazy everything must be a skill, like breathing if your skill is to low your character will instantly suffocate.

Jonesy and Svarr Chanston like this.
  19. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

Yes.
    061105.jpg

kfaj, PlayMp1, Serenity and 1 other person like this.
  20. I hope there is a little depth to music and instruments, but not grindfest I don't wanna give instruments a try because its a pointless trait depth.

Svarr Chanston likes this.