1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Please don't make an invedit, community!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by BlastRed, Nov 8, 2013.

?

Do you want InvEdit for starbound?

1. No, that ruins games. "cheats"

56 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Yes, i need to modify something and "promise" not to use it on servers.

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Man, theres a bunch of things i hate in games and this has to be the top
    because cheaters! Invedits ruin games! If someone in the community chooses to make one of these,
    please don't let it be publicly downloaded.
    Tottaly ruined MP servers for me on terraria.

Trowzers likes this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It's inevitable. Hopefully the devs will take measures to deter or prevent it, but people will still try and make things like this.

Serenity, WolfMimir, Lynx88 and 2 others like this.
  3. Duex

Duex Cosmic Narwhal

thats like asking people to not make nude mods for bethesdas games, its inevitable

sbuck88, Seajun_, Serenity and 15 others like this.
  4. shucklefan1

shucklefan1 Phantasmal Quasar

I dont think you can :/ well, only the weapons part. everyones weapons will be random, since the weapons are randomly generated, I think its impossible to edit weapons ingame.

but hey you never know

5. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, i know that, but i wish that, they have to be asked for, like via pm'ing or such method, but not PUBLIC.
    or, you have to buy it!

Jonesy likes this.
  6. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

As people are said, it will happen and server side characters and mod restrictions are your only option.

If you want to know how fast something can be done, give it to a lazy person, they will always find the fastest way.

DeadlyLuvdisc and WoxandWarf like this.
  7. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

I'm going to do it just because you told me not to.
    I am made of spite.

Urikashima, jintoya, kik4444 and 8 others like this.
  8. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

This thread again? We already had a very similar conversation like this with blast as the OP.

WoxandWarf and JackAllan like this.
  9. buttfarm

buttfarm Everyone's Friend

this doesn't sound quite right

anyway OP just set up your own server and pray no one logs in with stuff they've invedited onto their character i guess?

10. Well this may be why that: If we don't want to end up like Terraria servers likely to get the server-side chars to avoid total exploit of end-game gear and a random gameplay, it takes away the magic from the game.

11. You're asking a useful tool not to be created, because it is misused at times.
    I said it once, and I'll say it as many times as I need to:

Inventory editors and world editors can be used for the creation of maps, or to do what would otherwise be a pain.
    If I want to play the game using only level 100 rocket launchers, then I have every right to. If I want to have a bomb war with my friends, that's alright as well.
    Making a giant arena, fighting thirteen bosses at once, or simply fooling around with god powers, they're all different ways to play with the game.
    Asking someone not to create or use an inventory editor is not only inevitable, it's hindering.

12. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Short story: No.

Long story? Hell no. What possibly makes you think asking the Internet of all things to not do something is going to work? Thats like asking your little brother to stop sneaking up on you because it scares you. Why the hell did you think he was doing it to begin with?!

13. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

There is no problem with invedit, and it's unavoidable in a game which aims to be heavily moddable.

However, the Devs mentioned they may make it so server hosts can require charactors to be saved online. If that's the case, then it shouldn't be an issue.

14. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

People have already explained the inevitability.

You need to find a group of people remotely trustworthy and simply play with them. It isn't a perfect fix, someone could use it on the sly or otherwise bend the groups rules. It is the only real solution though. There is no real fix to a social issue like this, only finding ways to mitigate it. It is true there maybe things the programers can do to limit it, but how long until someone makes a hack that can get around it?

It beats trying to convince a whole community not to do something.

15. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

There's probably going to be 10 of them on launch day

Lila likes this.
  16. M67 Zippo

M67 Zippo Void-Bound Voyager

Inventory editors are good for testing both maps and mods. Denying mod makers tools ensures that starbound will eventually die out.

17. JackAllan

JackAllan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The issue with things like this, is that you're denying invedit to people who like to use it, and never touch other people's servers. I love my terraria inventory editor, I love my terraria map editor. They help keep the game fresh for me when I would otherwise be burning out on it.
    (Probably my number one invedited material is building materials.)

PolarStar and WoxandWarf like this.
  18. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

I don't mean this in a rude way but your poll options are just asinine.
    This type of modification will always happen, and should happen because they are useful in their own right. Chucklefish has already talked about server's being able to force new characters so I don't see your issue.

Edit:
    Couldn't have said it any better.

19. Drakojin

Drakojin Subatomic Cosmonaut

I agree with this guy. Was going to type basically the same thing.

20. cpmartins

cpmartins Scruffy Nerf-Herder

He must've meant an invedit that work on servers, or in other words, hacks and/or exploits. If he meant that for a single-player game I'd have to ask why is he concerned with what I do to my game, which is mine to do as I please.

BlastRed and WoxandWarf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.