1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

10th August Biomes (screencaps)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sower, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Sower

Sower Big Damn Hero

album @ imgur (73 images)

For easier viewing, the album linked above contains the biomes shown in the video posted by Tiy for the August 10th update (72 total).

They're 1920x1080 (1080p), and are ordered as: number-hour:minute:second.millisecond

2. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

I like it! A lot! Thanks! !!!

:love:

I swoon over seeing those multiple giant satellites on the horizon... X3

3. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I just wonder if I'm going to have any surprise by the time the game finally comes out.
    edit-
    I have to add, that video looks awesome. You got your game trailer right there Tiy.

4. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i thought the brain/eye ball planet was interesting! didn't expect the sweet spherical ice tree with spikes! i can't wait to see what else the deeps of the snow is hiding.

5. Chibi

Chibi Pangalactic Porcupine

This is awesome! Thanks! :love:

6. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

Is it the surprise in a game or is it the quality of the gameplay that motivates your continued enjoyment of a game?

That is the question.

7. TheSpoon

TheSpoon Big Damn Hero

These are literally 0.000000000000000000000000000000001 % (Probably less) of all the planets and biomes you would be able to find in the beta.

8. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

Tiy keeps a VERY tight lid on anything spoiler-ish. We don't even know what any of the special weapons/items do, the only unique item we know about is the ninja rope. It's clear that they hold back a lot of things, half of these biomes we haven't even seen before, I don't doubt that there are going to be a LOT of other biomes that we haven't seen yet.

Anyhow, loved the video! I'm taking this as a sign that much of world and biome generation is nearing a complete state!

9. Diagnosan

Diagnosan Subatomic Cosmonaut

10. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

Where did you come up with that statistic?

Emral282 and Diagnosan like this.
  11. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

From not understanding that biomes have to be predesigned (though can certainly have varying factors).

12. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

He arranged the statistic alone, I presume.

13. You know that's pretty likely, i believe at the start of the game they can't have like thousands of biomes as they need to be scripted, with thousands of players exploring the Universe it is more than likely they will be found. Specially since several Wikis want to fill the content on everything the game will be hugely explored to spoil everything, eheh.

This refering to the base background / type of biome, since things as the glacial biome, tentacle biome, etc... Need to be scripted.

14. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Yes, that's what I was referring to. A procedural generator couldn't just 'come up with' biome types, though it can apply a lot of things to vary them up (for instance, changing the color palette, slightly modifying plant and object distributions or types, etc).

15. Yes, the type of biomes that are very limited for sure, they require a lot of work to set up everything, for example the glacial needs to be deep oceans with floating ice islands. We may be at the final all planets being different in something, but we will see planets with the same kind of biome. :p

Mukin and PSS like this.
  16. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

17. CalamityQuote

CalamityQuote Phantasmal Quasar

18. Dis

Dis Phantasmal Quasar

Well, I have a new desktop image library. Thank you very much! :iswydt:

Oh, did anyone else notice the Stonehenge-like structures in the background on the eighth image? :DD

CalamityQuote likes this.
  19. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

[​IMG]

PSS likes this.
  20. TheSpoon

TheSpoon Big Damn Hero

I pulled it out my arse.

But honestly, i remember seeing a thread where members were attempting to calculate the amount of possible planets in the game. A member of chucklefish came along, and worked out that the total amount of planets was decillion or something. So many little statistic would be pretty close to the truth :p

I edit a link to the thread when i find it.