1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't give early access to big youtubers

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Skippy3, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, what's the cut-off for small-time youtubers? There are a a lot of youtubers out there, and I unfortunately, I don't see a way of screening for youtubers, since the screening process can be very tedious and draining, unless chucklefish gives a free downloading link for all to purchase, which basically ruins the release date hype for them, as people can and will abuse this system.

2. ArcLight

ArcLight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Or just this, for emphasis.

Now I'll go somewhere else and maybe I won't get to play Johnny-came-lately next time.

3. Spike

Spike Supernova

You do that bro. I recommend getting higher education, but I'm assuming you've already finished college, so I'd recommend specializing in your field to get more out of life. That, for me, is the best bet at succeeding in life. I may have misspoke earlier; the rich does get richer, most of the time, but if you can get a great education, you can turn the table around. It'll still be terribly difficult, but education will make it a LOT easier for you.

SephirothWS likes this.
  4. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Lets face it, the nets not exactly the nicest place on earth. Throwing your baby to the wild might end well. Could always become the next Tarzan-craft! It might also be tiger food.
    All things considered I'd pick the most trusted ones too, after spending two years working on something I love. ;p

Spike likes this.
  5. SephirothWS

SephirothWS Phantasmal Quasar

Indeed, more off-topicness, ... My main problem is while I have indeed gone through college, the location I am currently at doesn't see a high need for technical-oriented persons such as myself. I live in a tiny country town in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest metropolis is like a 2-hour drive from here.

Unfortunately, that doesn't change anything regarding companies and their wants/needs for great Launch Day numbers..

(Edit 2: Darn typoes)

6. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

O no, I ain't suggesting giving anyone or anybody the game earlier than anyone. I'm just saying I'd personally prefer it if we all had to wait for beta or the release like everyone else, and let the game be a multi-million dollar success thanks to any old YouTubers. I found Minecraft to not be the only example, as TB and Jesse Cox's most successful and popular show was indeed their Terraria series. I personally think the game will do amazingly with or without hype, as people who are fans of YouTubers will want to play what they were (the YouTuber). If Nintendo put-out a lot more of their older games again in the eshop that I never got to play, I would buy and play them. A big time YouTuber isn't gonna pass up a gold mine like this even if they didn't get special privelages, they'd still do it, the only difference would be is that they would be "competing" against anyone and everyone else who are making SB videos (of course the big time YouTuber will naturally pull up in 1st place and help out the developers), but at least the average joe will have a slightly better chance to get recognized. The rich are getting richer, but at least some things can be done to make it more of a fair playing ground. I guess I'm just a biggy on "fairness".
    Edit: A smart YouTuber knows getting their video out ASAP (Day 1) will generate more views. I remember the creator of Anti-Chamber requesting TB wait till the release day to put his video out. I think that'd be the best middle ground, if YouTubers had to wait till the release to at least put their video out, but the publishers don't have to anything like that... so... yea. (The richer get richer, the poor get poorer).

7. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

I agree to not let the huge Youtubers get it earlier. They haven't been with the community for nearly as long as some of us and don't deserve the higher status than us and deserve to wait as long as we have to. Not judging your decision, but if you want to do this, at least make them pay more for it. I believe that Reddit/4chan would get much more attention like Minecraft did with Reddit. Don't leave it to the large Youtubers to spread the game's existence, leave it to word of mouth to spread attention.

8. Spike

Spike Supernova

Welp, according to Molly:

The devs wants to make a killing on release, which would mean they need to give someone early access in order to give the gme more publicity, and make more money on the day it is released. This is strange to me, since people generally pre-order instead of buying it on release, but I won't question their methods.

9. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

now... this is just my two cents. but would "release day sales" be AFTER the beta? and wouldnt a good chunk of the beta players make videos? and wouldnt the big names in youtube get the game and make videos as well? i understand wanting to make the hype, the sales etc. but it dosnt seem like giving it to anyone before beta would impact "release day" but maybe my understanding is just wrong.

Dynafols likes this.
  10. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

That's just how the preview process works. It builds hype for a game before it launches. Don't think of Toby/yogscast as the average user, but professionals whose occupation involves previewing a game. These early access journalists didn't just appear overnight. Let it happen IMO, we'll all get to play together soon enough anyway.

11. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

If its ready for Yogscast to stumble around in half-confused not knowing what to do while screaming "OH GOD" when something goes awry then it should be ready for everyone who spent money on it to give a try, unless we are going to go under the assumption that internet celebrities are better than we are because they have a high subscriber count.

As for advertisement purposes and "word of mouth", Terraria got much better sales as a result of an early client leak (If anyone wants to disagree with this, i'm all ears), NOT because of Totalbigbutt or Yogscast. Even people who got the torrent of the early leak (Myself included) still went back and purchased the game, simply because of that leak. Letting the masses play it and spread it around will be a lot better than letting these youtube personalities throw it to their fanbases and forget about it a few weeks later.

Besides, the Yogscast fanbase consists of people who literally scream "WHERES MINECRAFT" when they put out a non-minecraft video. I doubt many of them would be interested.

12. Spike

Spike Supernova

I doubt Simon can even get out of the spaceship within the first 40 minutes of gamepaly, but such is the will of the mighty Tiy. HAving a bumbling dwarf stumbling around the ship and not doing anything productive is amusing to people, and it builds hype for people to purchase it at release. I suppose some people doesn't like preorder, which makes release dates that much more important for the devs, and explains why they want to make as much as possible on that day.

I did not know that nor will I pretend to know anything about that. Cool.

13. XANi

XANi Big Damn Hero

From what I saw (both in Terraria and Cubeworld) any "early" releases that YTbers got were just same as beta/alpha backers, there is nothing wrong with that. Only thing that would be a problem is if it would be released at same time other hype-train was on rampage (like, in middle of cubeworld hype train for example)

I think that giving it too early could actually hurt game
    • some ppl will whine game looks buggy (mot everyone understands that alpha/beta WILL have a lot of bugs because it is not complete)
    • game might change a lot between alpha/beta and release, including adding/scraping whole subsystems in game, and again, some silly ppl will buy or not buy it based on alpha impressions
    • getting hype too early (like say 9+ months before release) might make a lot of ppl forget about game, just because it was so long from last time they've heard any news about ot, or get bored of updates

That really depends on field, in anything IT-related I feel that much more important is getting good first job and I dont mean "well paid" but one that will teach you a lot of different useful stuff, so you can use it as "jumpstart" to better jobs (either by promotion or just fnuding a better job). Still having "some education, no job experience" is better than "no education, no experience".

Also, living in small town/village often limits it a lot, I really got "good" jobs after moving to bigger city... altho internet changes that a bit as in many cases you can work from home

14. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Plus, they won't need to worry about too much of the game being spoiled. :rofl:

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I wasn't aware that they were.

16. Spike

Spike Supernova

Agreed. I think Tiy konws what he was doing; I trust that the Devs will give out the early youtube access and the beta in a timely manner. If not, I've made the wrong bet, but I'll most likely still play the game.

Don't get me wrong; job experience is very important for any job. The employers will look at your degrees at first, but later on, its all about where you've worked.

17. Heresy

Heresy Master Chief

FUCKING

THIS

Starbound doesn't even need any advertisement, the present community is already MASSIVE, and the team got 1.5 million dollaridoos by pre order alone.

This is more than impressive.

18. Spike

Spike Supernova

And total buiscuit will spend the first 30 minutes of the game going through all the option settings you can do. Joy!

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Right...:wtf:

20. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, according to the devs:

1.5 million dollars is mere pocket change, and they do need more people to pay them.

Xander likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.