1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Constant 30-35 FPS - Long running issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pikachux1000, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Pikachux1000

Pikachux1000 Aquatic Astronaut

Hi there.
    Recently purchased the beta access after following the game for some time when it was still free and in production and I wanted to support it (Missed the kickstarter)
    Now I can't remember when this started to happen, but at some point during a new version of the game a very long time ago during alpga I could no longer get a constant 60fps and no matter what I try to do it lingers around 35 fps and there's nothing I can do to change this. Lowest settings, no scaling, pixel scaling off. Running as admin, compatibility mode... everything I can possibly do does not fix the issue and my FPS remains at 35 which makes the game run in slow motion constantly.

Like I said, this can't be a computer issue as I have a full blown gaming rig and this problem only started to happen after I upgraded to a newer 'demo' version a while back.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Just tried running it in 1x Scaling on lowest settings in windowed and full screen modes, still stuck at 35 fps.
    Thing is, even on the highest settings I still get 35 fps so I feel something is limiting the FPS for some reason...

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Yeah I have a thread about this as well, it seems to be random, the game is in beta, my game was getting the same kind of issue but it eventually worked itself out. I don't know what really happened though.

• Pikachux1000

Well I seem to be able to get it up to 40fps by randomly closing and opening the game, yeah. This is so strange... its just a shame that we can't skip frames since that would be more acceptable than playing in constant slow motion.

bounding star likes this.
        • Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Which compatibility mode are you using?
          "Check if you are running under Windows 7 compatibility mode. Win XP and Win 8 are not officially supported by GameMaker 8.1!"

• Pikachux1000

I tried running it in all the compatibility modes, even windows 7, and they all just make it worse. It starts to run at 20 when I run it in most of the modes, if not worse.

:( I hope this isn't a windows 8 thing full stop because it was working absolutely fine up to a point.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Another thing that may cause a bizarre framerate drop, is disconnecting a controller. If in the options the gamepad is enabled & your gamepad is plugged in, and you disconnect it after quitting the game, reopening the game will seem to halve the framerate. See if "gamepad enabled" is turned on, and if it is, turn it off and close and reopen the game. Unless you prefer to use one. In that case, just don't launch the game before plugging it in.

• Pikachux1000

Right well it was turned off.
                My pc just had to restart and now my game is stuck at 45 fps. Will go under but never over 45 fps.
                I bet if i restart again it will find another framerate to stick at.
                It seems now that every time my PC is restarted the game decides to settle at a different rate every time...

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

Is it always 35 or 45? Since it seems like such a nice number, do you have any FPS limiters running (such as FRAPS?)

Has it been like this for all of the beta? Was it the alpha versions that ran at 60 fps?

• Pikachux1000

That's why I find it strange. It obviously doesn't just happily settle at those numbers. It kind of fluctuates around a little bit from 45 to 47 then to 42 but its quite stable overall, just in slow motion.
                    I have nothing open that would limit the frames, no. Even on a fresh restart it seems to just pick a certain speed to run at and stays there.

Is there an archive of alpha versions available anywhere? I could backtrack along them until I find the version that stopped running at 60.

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Yeah unfortunately the game speed being locked to fps when it drops below 60 it can get slow like stated.

• Pikachux1000

Okay so I launched FRAPS to get a second frame rate readout and FRAPS is also saying around 40-45 FPS.
                        At this point the FRAPS counter is HUGE.
                        BUT
                        If I turn pixel perfect scaling on, fraps is reading out 75-80fps but the game fps counter is still showing 40-45fps and the game continues to run on a slow timescale.
                        This is when the FRAPS counter is normal size.

How on earth does this game run exactly? I don't understand how the game can be running at 80fps in one thread and 45 in the other.
                        It would be more playable if it skipped frames and didn't timescale down since even at 45 fps there's an extra 15 seconds added onto every 60 seconds of actual play.
                        This makes the game drag along much slower than intended and it's actually quite boring playing it like that. I still don't know what could of possible caused it to just stop running smoothly. I've run out of things to try.

• TheLeeringMachinist

TheLeeringMachinist Space Hobo

I have the exact same issue as Pikachux1000 but occasionally I get this error message on launch.

• D_Rock

D_Rock Space Hobo

I also have that problem. I played it fine yesterday but today my fps is crawling. The game starts out capped at 60 fps and then within 10 minutes it slowly drops down to 20 fps making the game unplayable.

• Daffodill

Daffodill Astral Cartographer

same thing here!
                              im using radeon hd 7650