1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to revitilize the Spacestation Concept

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Alluvian_Est-Endrati, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Do you think the space station should still be a part of the game in some way?

1. Yes

360 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

I just want to start building out in space from absolutly nothing. Put on a space suit and start making rooms and set up life support, systems, hangar, that kind of stuff.

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. They said it didn't worked well in MultiPlayer.

Still for MultiPlayer servers is where spacestation make more sense, creating a HUB for the server, where people start, trade, form groups, etc... ;)

Axe Garian and Hydrae like this.
  3. Zaniel

Zaniel Space Penguin Leader

I'd be interested to hear why it wasn't working well in multiplayer. Does anyone have any input on what was going wrong with it?

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Because the space station changes as you progress through the story. So unless you were there all the time you would miss some potentially important stuff. They've moved this to the ship so that everyone can progress at their own pace. They have mentioned that they're looking at including the space station in a different form to serve as a hub.

Axe Garian, DeadlyLuvdisc and Zaniel like this.
  5. Zaniel

Zaniel Space Penguin Leader

that gets me really excited to play through the story and see my ship grow

6. BulletExodus

BulletExodus Void-Bound Voyager

Keeping this space station separate from the player's personal story seems like the best idea to me. More or less an auction house or server with a huge amount of players to trade in.

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

My thoughts exactly.

Of course, I think the idea of a Space Station is cool as ice-cream, but if the Space Ship can do the same things, I'm happy.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Noc

Noc Guest

I do love the idea of a space station, but certainly it would clash with having a ship, which is essentially a requirement to the game.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

The home planet is your base, and your ship is your home away from home.
    Both of these are linked to the player, but other players can visit.

That is the key difference here: the Space Station is a community hub not linked to any one player. Instead of building it and watching it progress in the hands of multiple players, it should just be like the common room in a dormitory. Each player gets their own room (their Ship), but they all share the same lobby (the Space Station). It should start out fully decked out with absolutely nothing useful, just a snazzy place for players to share stuff and spend time together. On some servers they might place furniture and decorations, but since it isn't your Homeworld pretty much anyone can change it, take your stuff, tear things down, etc... Like any sort of shared canvas, it isn't a good place for a work of art.

The Ship serves the purpose they originally intended for the Space Station, but the Space Station can still serve another purpose.

Axe Garian, Hydrae and Noc like this.
  10. JohnnyHistone

JohnnyHistone Aquatic Astronaut

Why not have the planet generation engine occasionally generate a large space station procedurally in the same way it does planets at certain coordinates- the universe would be peppered with the odd space station here or there which people could colonise and use as community hubs, explore etc.?

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. DeadlyLuvdisc

Actually, I was thinking your Escape Pod lands at the Space Station (exactly as they originally planned) and you find your ship there, ready to go. The Space Station itself would be in single player, but it would only have a point in multiplayer.

I also really like the idea of docking ships to form a continuous map-- There would only be a lot of ships if a lot of players were on the same server, but it would make for really cool events. Most MMO games have a sort of lobby like this, and it is usually the starting town new players spawn at after the tutorial. I guess that's kinda what I'm suggesting.

Axe Garian and Hydrae like this.
  12. Yup Personal Ships to can "dock" in some server space station to buy fuel, trade, form groups, etc... That can be achieved with the HomeWorld, BUT, it makes more sense as a Space Station. :lolwut:

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. DeadlyLuvdisc

Since each player has their own homeworld, it is hard to imagine all of the players on a large server deciding to have one central homeworld, since each player would want the hub to be their own homeworld. Plus, that one player would have more control over the shared space than any other player, which doesn't seem very fair. It'd be kinda like getting a class of elementary school students to vote on which one of them should get all the candy-- You need someone else to decide for them that they have to share it.

Of course, it doesn't seem like a very important feature in the first place, so it probably doesn't matter.

14. Annoctatio

Annoctatio Pangalactic Porcupine

Space Station could be just a normal building.

Just the fact that it's floating in space, makes it really awesome in my opinion. Being able to build it near a huge, bright cyan star nebula and gaze on it? Fuck yes. Another thing that gets me really interested, is the fact (like everyone mentioned) that it could be used as a hub for all the players to gather up, meet, chat (in local chat) and trade. Also there would appear a bunch of NPC's filled with quests. You could get some rare ingredients if you had a good luck, at a high Pixel price. Certain players on the server would be allowed to build more rooms on the spacestation, or it could belong to a single player.

I can already imagine all the battles to be held over the control of the spacestation. ;_____________;

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. A multiplayer server without a HUB? It's like Tiy said how likely it is 2 people never meet up inside a server. Without a Hub form Parties, Trade, etc... Won't be easy.

16. vimio

vimio Big Damn Hero

I would like it if you can have a home in space

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Horgen

Horgen Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I just hope that the spaceship can be expanded enough and that you can still staff it. Some people were saying that the npc's there could provide info about events and planets you don't necessarily know about, but it's also an excellent way to slip in "storyline quests" that take place in a preset area.

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

I was thinking the idea of building a spaceship above a planet probably our home world as for the gravity, that would take too much so it would probably end up being artificial gravity. It would also be nice if we could use them to fortify a world with an arsenal of fleet killing fire power... maybe we can get orbital elevators too...:cautious:

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. DeadlyLuvdisc

I was being facetious.
    Maybe the quests that you find on planets could be designed for 1-3 players, while quests given by NPCs on the Space Station could be more like raids. After all, if they are on the space station, all the players on the sever are likely to find out about it. The difficulty of these quests could automatically adjust to match however many players are participating in the raid.

Annoctatio likes this.
  20. Ateerix

Ateerix Pangalactic Porcupine

I think it would make a great first expansion. A placeable Space Station that required a lot of various materials, and pixels. Good gold sink, and something for end-game. Once you beat the game, you could start working on making yourself a space station somewhere in space, or maybe over your favourite planet. It could even have something to do with clans/corporations or whatnot on servers.

Axe Garian and Kernkin like this.